Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smart_guy

Nasty Electrical Problems

43 posts in this topic

It was CLC "lectical" cleaner. I'll get a product #. Dry air is important to, not just shop air. On thing I did notice with this job is there were alot of codes in other modules too, SAM, Instrument Cluster that were CAN related (the network codes) after this repair I have cleared them all and none have returned. Its a quick check during initial diagnosis looking for codes in other modules, to help prevent lots of needles time that I spent. If that makes sense.

Well done! And I echo Mike, I would strongly suspect a leak from the windshield to cause this problem.

Two weeks ago I installed a new Sam. Once installed your car keys no longer work. I had to send the car to the dealer for the Sam and keys to be reprogrammed.

Was this a cabrio grandstyle? There are not many in Ottawa that I have seen, kinda rare. Congrats on following through with the issues, there are few that would stay on it and have successs! Good work Troy!

Ya that is a Grandstyle really nice car but some of the electrical gremlins really suck. Makes it very difficult to accuratly diagnose. Thanks for the props too.

Two weeks ago I installed a new Sam. Once installed your car keys no longer work. I had to send the car to the dealer for the Sam and keys to be reprogrammed.

Did you use a donor SAM from another car or buy a fresh one from MB? If brand-new new SAM, what did it cost please?Bil :sun:

Hey All, sorry about the delay. I got myself into yet another electrical dream. I love electrical, really. So in this case, I just opened the sam and cleaned it. All was pretty good except an EGR code P1403. So with my snap on scanner I checked the EGR position and it was not noticing changes on the data list. So I hooked up the scope and even the scope couldnt see the position change. Look close this is what I found.....

As for the leak it seems to be coming from the convertible top side rails. I checked the windshield for leaks using 2 methods and then a simple leak test. First, take soapy water or glass cleaner and spray the whole weather strip. Have a helper use a blow gun and spray compressed air around the edge of the windshield seal. If you see bubbles on the outside, there is a leak. second I have a smoke machine, fill the car with smoke with the blower on hi and recirculation door set to fresh air. This method will show you EVERY leak a car has. This customer is out and running around in his smartie again. Thank you all for all your helpTroy

Oh and to find the leak, get a shower head and tie it up high to simulate rain, not too much pressure just light falling water

The seals on the side rails get messed up sometimes, for example the rear part of the rubber seal trough is supposed to be enveloped by the part of the seal that is crimped to the B pillar - which if they are mounted properly, drains the water harmlessly to the lower part of the door. But the rear part of the rubber rail seal sometimes gets squished and the receiving end of the trough can't work, water can't drain from the trough and it flows into the interior.

Don't want to hijack this thread but i believe my current issues are applicable. We've had a ton of rain here in Alberta [as you probably have witnessed on the news] and I was headed to Staples to pick up some printer cartridges a couple of days ago in the pouring rain when I had a chance encounter with a puddle that i thought was only maybe a couple of feet deep. Anyways by the time i was halfway through it I realized the water was closing in on the level of my windshield. Even though I kept my foot on the gas the Smartie just about came to a complete halt and i barely crept out the other side.Problem is ever since them all of my pod lights have stayed on. 1.door ajar light 2. seatbelt light 3. water separator light. Car still drives ok but whenever im stopped at a light the car pops me into Neutral and i am forced to shift back into first to go.obviously a SAM/EGR issue..... :unsure: .....maybewill start pulling things apart regardless but any advice would be welcome.lesson learned...Next time dont assume...better to go around than through. :rolleyes:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Your Canada E-Box got wet.

Just for some further information, I also had electrical problem (no turn signals).All indications were pointing to the SAM, but before taking the SAM apart, I took apart the E-Box.The circuit board on the E-Box had been coated in what looked like epoxy and there was little chance of corrosion setting in. Edited by smartdriver

Interesting because the E box is notorious for corrosion.

thanks for all the info. have pulled up the mats on both sides and found a lot of moisture under both. will pull apart the battery compartment as well to see what i find.