Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smart_guy

More Electrical Fun For Troy

13 posts in this topic

So a good customer calls me up, Troy my car is getting towed in with high pressure pump codes.....the very day I told someone on here that they never fail......Sorry Max. So car shows up at the shop no issues found, but he indicated that the car has never had a fuel filter. Ok so we change that. After the Grandstyle, which was still at the shop, I wanted to drive this for a couple days and make sure all was good. So I drove it for 2 days, no problem. But it was really cold out, and the day it failed on the customer it was wet out. SO. Saturday my wife and I are on our way to family dinner in Arnprior and we are going to drop the customer's car off to him on the way. 10 minutes from my house, it loses power. RPM is reading properly but just no fuel..... this shows that the crank sensor is ok. But the road is a little slushy. So tow it to the shop. Starts fine. Drive it through a few puddles and slush and there it is, died. Close enough to the shop that it just rolled in. Pull codes, rail pressure monitoring. Hmm thats odd. So check for low pressure fuel, nothing. Check SAM connector for the fuel pump wire, perfect. Jumped the fuel pump wire, nothing, no fuel, no pump running. I listen closely and I don't hear the fuel pump relay. So pull the SAM, look for corrosion and it is perfect. Shit. So I do some general checking and found the following ground broken.

post-5364-1360290040_thumb.jpg

So I pulled the connector off, and repaired the ground. Be careful on this it was really hard to see the broken wire.

post-5364-1360290165_thumb.jpg

So ground repaired car runs. Awesome. But wait, when I turn the car off from my road test with my foot on the brake it would keep running. I have seen this, I must have the "R" connections in the wrong spots. Recheck, they are good so I unplug them and try again same thing. Every time the brake pedal is pressed the ignition is on, even with the key out. So I went back to my ground, cut out 4" of wire to get to perfect copper, spliced them together and added a large ground cable to have one lug at the grounding point, weather proofing with dual wall heat shrink tube. I also replaced the main engine ground, just to be safe. At this point I wanted to check other grounds. Pulled up the carpet near the battery and the foam was wet....really wet.

post-5364-1360290458_thumb.jpg

So now my fear is excessive harness damage. Empty the car. I want to be sure I fix every problem. Again, I hit the max I will charge to an existing customer and these are good learning experiences. So another symptom I have is the GPS he has in the car turns on when I lock the car and stays on......The guy has been without a car for over a week. I don't have solid answers. Im NOT ok with this.

post-5364-1360290569_thumb.jpg

Car is to this point. Check grounds and harnesses and find the 5 pin in the battery box corroded, repaired. Checked all grounds, all good. Some of the body seams are rusted so I coated them with Krown T40 to help slow it down. I found the right wheel well was the source of the leak so sealed both wheel wells. Let the carpet dry. So at this point Im stumped. I tested a known good Ebox, same thing. But with no Ebox the symptoms are not there. BANG BANG BANG......head against the wall. Grab a known good SAM (since my symptoms dont need the car to run). Set the good SAM in place all connected, symptoms are gone. Put bad SAM into good car, symptoms are there. AH HA! its SAM......my old drinkin buddy. Take it appart and see whats going on........you may have to zoom this, but look at the solder joints.

post-5364-1360290982_thumb.jpg

Troy,I would paint some POR on the floor before putting it back together, some of the rust looks nasty.Are you sure you got the fuse blocks on the side of the SAM back in the right spots?Here is a picture of my SAM to compare.Canmanpost-9481-1360291287_thumb.jpg

Got it! runs perfectly, starts -29c. No electrical issues. Time to reassemble. Clean the carpet. Spray fresh scent on it. Paint the rusted seat frames. Tidy various electrical additions. Shampoo the engine, tighten alternator belt, wash car, and drive it now that it is soaking wet. SUCCESS!!! Get the car "give back to the customer" ready, clean and detailed with change found under seats on the dash. Let me tell you having a customer as understanding as this guy was awesome, no constant phone calls etc, understanding that this is a tough repair. Thank you so much. And seeing a customer that happy makes it worth owning a shop, the tim hortons gift card is just the exclamation point to the whole thing. That gesture really made my day. Again Thank you to the customer, you know who you areThank you smartie members I really appreciate the help you guys give me.AND PLEASE IF YOU NEED MY HELP PS ME OR GET IN TOUCH WITH ME. I owe a good number of you :)

Yup, I still had the grand style there, while the customer decided to do or not to do his EGR so compared to it.

For module repairs, I have used BBA remanufacturing for several vehicles but not smarts yet. But they guarantee the work they do

Troy the effort you put into making sure these customer's cars are repaired properly is admirable. I had problems with the grounds over the intercooler before, and had to take them all back to clean copper and solder new wires on. It has been about two years and still going on that repair, so your customer should be good to go for a while.

Thanks again Troy, you really went the extra mile on this one. Considering the amount of digging you had to do, and the extra problems that sprung up while it was there, a week was really no time at all. I'll say it again, for anyone in the Ottawa region, Troy knows what he's doing, and really knocks the socks off of either of the local dealerships in terms of customer service!

Thanks again Troy, you really went the extra mile on this one. Considering the amount of digging you had to do, and the extra problems that sprung up while it was there, a week was really no time at all. I'll say it again, for anyone in the Ottawa region, Troy knows what he's doing, and really knocks the socks off of either of the local dealerships in terms of customer service!

+1