Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SMARTER NOW

No Cruise Control Updated

44 posts in this topic

They certainly ARE liable for changes to the car that alter its condition from what the owner has done to it.Taking that idea to its next step, they would remove and discard the wider alloy wheels with wider than "homologated for Canada" rubber on them and replace them with skinnies, without asking the owner? Or take non-conforming headlights (for example, with LEDs or with HID), replace them with standard ones?The point that has to be made to the dealer is that the SMARTER NOW car has been made unwhole by the dealer's actions and if they won't reactivate the V27 themselves (understandable for liability reasons), they owe it in a legal and moral sense to the owner of that car to pay for the re-enabling of the cruise control through an independent.

Yes, the fact that they did unautorized work (re-flashed ECU) while the car was in their shop and I in their waiting room, and the car is no longer under warrenty.If the car was still under warrenty then I could understand them re-flashing the ECU and removing the cruise, but the fact is the warr. expired July 2010.Mike T, can you get me in contact with the person that supplied you with the datacard, as this is something that I would like to add to my arsenal when dealing with MB, this way I can prove that it was active before I went in to see them, or they could say that I installed the stalk and now trying to get a free activation out of them.Besides it would be nice to have for my records.

Send a personal message to the member "Dang" here, he probably has access to the datacard still (he gave me a bunch in 2010).

Thanks Mike, I sent a PM to Dang.One of the sites I linked earlier gives me this;460 VEHICLES FOR CANADA, ADDITIONAL PARTS806 AEJ 06/1/M/X986 IDENTIFICATION PLATE (VIN NO.)I06 KARMANN COMPANY CONTROL CODE = Door NetsI13 KARMANN COMPANY CONTROL CODE = Side Air BagsI28 KARMANN COMPANY CONTROL CODE = Sun Screen for Glas RoofI31 KARMANN COMPANY CONTROL CODE = Luggage Cover (Flexible)V21 SPEED- + LOADINDEX 91H = Exterior Mirrors Electrically AdjustableV31 SPEED+ - LOADINDEX 103 H = Clock and TachometerThere is no V27 just the V21 & V31 do you know what these are?Answered above question, with this edit.

Edited by SMARTER NOW

One is tach and clock, I can look the other up when I get home.

For the original posting:This is what happens when you get aftermarket people to put in remaps and cruise and have to modify your software.Then you need to track down the installer and hope he's still in business and then repay him to reinstall it.Happened to me too.Not good

Edited by Coast Steve

You can do it yourself.

All you need is a laptop and a Galletto 12.5 flash tool, and of course a tune file.

Search ebay the tools aren't expensive and some come with a cd of tuning files.

This site has tuning files and detailed instructions.

Canman

http://www.chiptuners.org/

So M-B says that the up-dating or re-flashing of my ECU would "NOT OF RESULTED IN MY CRUISE BECOMING DE-ACTIVATED" because the CC activation is in the "cluster" and they did not touch the cluster.I have never seen reference on this or any other form to the cluster.What can cause the CC to stop working?Can a update to the ECU do this?Can a clutch learn do this?I'm stumped M-B says they will get the TAN and put the TAN in for basically what I paid the first time.WTF is going on here, I know the CC will not work if the ESP light is on, that is not the issue, and Scangauge shows no codes.

A clutch learn will not erase the OE CC because I have had it done after I had CC and I still had it afterwards.

Sounds to me like a tech made an oops when connected to your car and now the department is falling all over itself covering their collective a55. You might elevate the complaint. But then you'll need to start going someplace else because you will be a marked man. If you're not already.Bil :sun:

If the dealer is trying to resolve this for you (not clear to me) then you might want to edit the thread title.

Aye, never a good idea to call 'em "bastards" until the play is over and come to its final rsolution. Until then it's alleged bastards.

B :sun:

re: 3rd party guy that did the TAN codeHe may have been offering to barter with you, allowing you to offer a price for his labour, to show you're willingness not to just use him. It's most certainly not his fault or problem that someone blew out your codes and why should he work for free? Now you've been quite ungracious twice over, I don't expect he'll cut you any deals at all if he deigns to help out at all. I think if you did not warn Mercedes of the aftermarket parts and that they're important, you may have difficulty making a case but they certainly did not treat you with good faith in that. I've had very good luck with my local dealership. Perhaps it's a regional thing, or the nature of the guy in charge, or that they're the only official dealer around, but they've been good with me, honest and considerate. Mind you, I've been that with them, and that's important in any relationship. It seems to me that you may not have been minding your Ps and Qs to the best of late? Perhaps a bit of apology will get your cruise control working, well, and of course "show me the money" because in the long run, that's what motivates people, eh?

OK so I have changed the thread title, and my cruise still doesn't work. lolI have put a formal complaint letter to M-B and M-B Burlington, as their stance is for me to prove I had it before I came for service.Now I know that the work they preformed "should not" have caused the CC to stop working, but like installing an software update to your home computer your should set a restore point or back up your computer before the update, even if the update is a recommended windows update for Microsoft. So M-B before updating my software should have backed up my MAP and system before updating. They told me that they just over wrote what was there and there is no way to retrieve it. So this is turning into a he said, she said fight, and we know who wins those, not the little guy.I have been researching what may have caused the hick-up to occur, or a way to be able to prove that I indeed had a working CC before they touched my car.And as I have way more time then money, this is far from over.As for the 3rd party, I have sent him my apologies and explanation from my point and acknowledged his point of view and accepted it, I have not heard back, so it is what it is. But like I said before, if I am asked to recommend an independent tech with the tools and knowledge for SMART Cars I will still recommend him without hesitation. Maybe it's me, maybe I'm the BASTARD, because it is all my fault for going in for the door handle recall and a clutch re teach, what was I thinking....... I'm such a BASTARD!

At least the Mercedes Dealership is willing to put the Cruise Control TAN back in.When Kingston Mercedes nuked my Cruise Control TAN while attempting to install Auto they would not reinstall the TAN because it was not OEM equipment in North America and they would be liable.Fortunately I was able to get the cruise control reinstalled.Hopefully your installer kept a copy of the code.In my opinion he should have given you the TAN code when you paid for the activation, on the other hand it sounds like you purchased the stalk from the U.K. or Germany and installed it yourself, so you can't expect him to warranty an installation he did not do.Good luck, hopefully either Mercedes or your installer will get you going again.Canman

So to update the situation.

Mercedes Benz Canada talked to Germany, and Germany has said “no can do” for it is forbidden. M-B called me back and said they will not even consider installing a TAN if I get one, they will not update my DATACARD if I get it working again. They have told me this case is closed.

I did have a fully working TAN enabled CC till I took my car into the Mercedes Benz dealership for service (door handle recall), while in for service they reflashed my ECU with the "latest version" without consent from me. After they returned my car the CC no longer worked, they say the reflash would not have removed the CC function as it is in the cluster. I said that if this is the case then they screwed up or they removed it on purpose, in response they said the CC was not an option for Canadian Smarts therefore they will nor cannot correct their mistake.

This leaves my 'shite out of luck' for the CC, unless I can get a working TAN, unless there are other options I do not know about.

So as well as needing a TAN, I have a few questions;

1. Can reflashing disable the CC? (if done incorrectly, or if the tech didn’t know of the CC)

2. If NO then could this have happened by accident? (If not then was this done on purpose?)

3. Could the TAN still be in the cluster, but the CC (Tempomat) option be toggled OFF? (Is there a way for the dealer toggle the CC, on or off in the Star computer system?)

4. Is there any other reason for the CC to no long function upon them returning my car? (I used the CC on my way to the dealership, and it didn't work when I left)