Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robfrey1

The Killer 3 Bars... Please Help

7 posts in this topic

I have a 2006 Smart 450 stranded in Florida right now with the dreaded 3 bar issue. I did the research and it looks as though there could be a huge number of different problems that could be going on here. The only way I can seem to temporarily get the bars to go away is to disconnect the battery for about a half hour, tape the 2 cables together, then reconnect. I'm hoping that with the following codes, someone might be able to better diagnose this........P2403 Gear shift operation had to be repeated. MalfunctionP2402 Transmission: Function FailureP2400 Transmission Blockage 1: Electrical FailureP2401 Transmission Blockage 2: Mechanical FailureP1704 Clutch system fault: Clutch does not separateP2414 M18 Coupling Motor EOBD

IMHO you should start by following the wiring harness from the clutch actuator and look for chaffed wires. The experts should reply with more knowledgable suggestions soon, good luck!!!

Wiring. For sure.There are two you should check, the one to the clutch actuator and also the one to the shift motor/position sensor.Get comfortable, car up on some very secure stands, lie down with some padding, pillow, good light and goggles (you WILL have some debris falling on you).open up those bundles, trace the length of each wire looking for worn insulation or wire breaks. Gently stretch each wire, this will show up a broken wire inside good insulation. Don't stop once you find the first problem, there'll be more.You will need some fine-stranded 16-18 Ga wire, soldering tool and supplies, shrink tubing, tape, wiring loom and patience.Good luck! It is almost certainly a DIY with no parts needed.I don't know, but if there is a single wiring harness part you can buy that is only for those two components that would be easy. I kind of think it is a much bigger harness, covering the entire engine bay.

Do what Alex said, but disconnect all the electrical connectors on the left side of the engine, they all have latches, be careful and don't force anything.You have to reach up inside the intercooler to get at two connectors.It is also easier if you take off the left wheel and inner plastic fender liner.You have to cut plastic strap ties securing th wire bundle.From the left tire side you can pull out the harness going over top of the intercooler to the two connectors inside the intercooler. (Usually chafes here)Pull the entire harness up into the engine compartment, this will make inspecting and repairing the harness easier.Canman

That does sound easier, Canman! I haven't had any trouble there (yet), so I just know the general idea.

And don't forget to lube the clutch actuator with something like white lithium grease ( the spray kind works great , look for the how to by Duck). If the actuator is not working properly for any reason it will cause trouble ( though with all the codes I suspect the others a correct as well and that you have a wiring problem as well).

just posting this in case someone gets these same codes and wants to jump to the easiest possibility

i had a friend over yesterday with problems he was claiming no "get up and go" and random stalls with 3 bars on dash (2005 cabrio)

pulled codes and came up with p2402 and p2403 ..both listed as intermittent

test drive confirmed 3 bars at least 5 times in less than 5km of driving...also slight vehicle roll/engine rocking when parked and shifting from neutral and reverse...which was odd as my car does not do that

...pulled off fork actuator and dimple was almost punched thru even though i greased it myself at least twice last year

brazed a nut on the rod and rounded it off a bit to clear the trans hole...left the rod protrude a bit just so it doesnt slip out of position ...erased codes and a went for a nice long test drive to confirm repair and it was a total success....no ocdes..no "stalling" (which was actually just the inability to speed up that he described as a stall)..no bars and no more codes

so long story short if you get these codes that say transmission blocked etc,...p2402 or p2403 check your actuator for hole wear