Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartcruzin

Dash Lighting

8 posts in this topic

With the light stalk switch on, I don't seem to have any lighting on the heat temperature slide control, the air flow selector slide beside it, fan speed control, and the fresh/recirculating air control slider. I am imagining that there ever was lighting in these areas?

No you are not; there is a light in there. You need a new bulb.

I have a working bulb in mine and still have very little to no light on mot of the controls, it has been this way since I got it, but it is possible the previous owner put the wrong bulb in, I am not convicted the light tube carries the light efficiently, and am considering getting an LED light strip to replace it ( but still haven't gotten around to measuring how long astrip I would need or seeing what voltage is supplied/required so it doesn't really concern me that much obviously). To sum up it is possible for the bulb to be working and still have unlit controls ( I just haven't solved the problem as it is not that big a deal).

I am pretty sure it is not the same bulb ( if it comes with the holder that is) I am pretty sure it is only the bulb, no plastic with it, of course it has been a while so I could be wrong.

It's worth noting with the LEDs that they may not work as well in this case as normal bulbs. The light pipe comes at the bulb from the sides, and typically LEDs fire their light primarily forward, so not much light will get into the light pipe, compared to a regular bulb which fires light mostly equally in every direction.

I was thinking of one of the led strings that they sell at Walmart to create the Audi headlight look, like I said haven't really looked into it so not sure one would even work, but it would replace the light tube with a string of LEDs, so hopefully would give a more consistent light than the one bulb through the tube

Edited by scwmcan