Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
strawboss

Tire Sizing

26 posts in this topic

Years ago my 450 was sold to me with winters so I bought a set of roadster rims with Vredesteins for the summers 195's rear 175's front & now I'm looking at replacing the rears come next spring. CTC has all season SE2's on sale now for $85 down from $130 but all they stock are 195/55r 15's & the tires I have now are 50r.....a difference of 3/4 in dia.Eyeballing the wheelwells it looks like they won't rub but has anybody had firsthand experience?

I think they will fit the wheel wells OK, but I wonder if the taller wheels - differential rolling RPM - will induce an ESP fault?Bil :sun:

I think they will fit the wheel wells OK, but I wonder if the taller wheels - differential rolling RPM - will induce an ESP fault?Bil :sun:

Good question,I didn't think of that.My fronts are 55r but the width is less at 175 so I bet the diameters match pretty close.....I don't know how discriminating the esp is.

I don't think you have to worry too much about the actual sizing of the rubber, the esp is looking for lock up or major differences in wheel speed. I have seen some cars with really wrong sizing or same size all the way around and no reported issues, it is a smarter system then you think.I would strongly suggest a better tire then the SE2, it is very weak in the grip department and not a well regarded tire. You can source any number of performance tires now in those sizes for very little money just google the size in canada and see what comes up, or check out pmctire.com free shipping and great prices (cdn based site with better prices then costco etc). Last time I was shopping for that size I found great stuff for $80-100 tire, or waited for the clearance racks and found $30-40 tires at cdn tire but special order brands and seldom more then one at a time.

There is a maximum wheel difference to prevent unwanted ABS/ESP activation, often tossed around is 3% difference on circumference. I think the smart has a fairly tight tolerance, tighter than some vehicles, it's certainly a very fast and aggressive responce. For good reason, as the tiny wheelbase means a skid turns into a spin much faster than with a longer wheelbase. I do know that with my rear tires worn to the limit and my fronts with ample tread, I would feel the ESP kick in on some bumpy corners with no hint of wheel slip.

1010tires has a calculator that shows the circumference. The 195/55 size shows as almost 4% larger, you may want to rethink this. 195/50are great, 0.43% larger.

I just received my Cooper Zeon ZPT 195/50/15 from PMC TIRE after 46 hours from purchasing online, $167 and FREE shipping. I'm in Ottawa and if you want to come inspect the these tires before you buy your more than welcome Smart brother.

There is a maximum wheel difference to prevent unwanted ABS/ESP activation, often tossed around is 3% difference on circumference. I think the smart has a fairly tight tolerance, tighter than some vehicles, it's certainly a very fast and aggressive responce. For good reason, as the tiny wheelbase means a skid turns into a spin much faster than with a longer wheelbase. I do know that with my rear tires worn to the limit and my fronts with ample tread, I would feel the ESP kick in on some bumpy corners with no hint of wheel slip. 1010tires has a calculator that shows the circumference. The 195/55 size shows as almost 4% larger, you may want to rethink this. 195/50are great, 0.43% larger.

That may explain why when I changed over to my summers with the rears being worn much more than the fronts my ESP light was flashing on some high speed turns driving on the highway/parkway.Thanks for the information Alex, that jives with my instincts for sure!And I checked out the Motomaster SE's just now in person, the DOT plant code shows them as made in china.....RM COOPER KENDA TIRE (KUNSHAN) KUNSHAN CHINA.....I think I'll pass.

I just received my Cooper Zeon ZPT 195/50/15 from PMC TIRE after 46 hours from purchasing online, $167 and FREE shipping. I'm in Ottawa and if you want to come inspect the these tires before you buy your more than welcome Smart brother.

Thanks, I had jumped on the link you provided to check them out but am still doing my homework I may take you up on that!

Homework is always encouraged! God knows i did lot's before i bought these, they get quite good reviews for the money. Keep in mind the price and don't compare them to tires that are way above them in the price range. Yes they are Chinese, but Cooper has great customer support if you are unsatisfied.

I have 195/55/15 on the rear an im using 185/55/15 on the fronts with roadster rims.Right now i have snow tires on that i put on in the fall. I just did a lil trim to the body panels where they meet to make sure they cleared in the front while turning. Either then that i havent had any issues with rubbingWith this size tires on according to gps my speedo is now accurate.I did have a problem with the traction control with the stock tires on the front an the roadsters on the rear.it would kick in while making fast corners.

FWIW, a long-time friend and 40-year career mechanic who did a stint with Canadian Tire, says to avoid their low-end Motomaster tires like the plague. Bil :sun:

i have 225 40 16 rear and 195 45 16 front on a 2005 cabrio on michalak wheels,i had no problem with the rears. The fronts i had to trim the fenders quite severly but the car look great, by the way if you dont keep the o\d within 3% the ABS light will be on

I've run larger diameter tires on a 451 with excellent results, but I also had a lift kit and wheels spacers installed!FWIW, if you were happy with the Vreds, try to get the same again? Or is it a cost thing?

A pair of Vredestein tires will cost me $350 landed in Kelowna :(Bil :sun:

PMC is far better @ $306.60 all-in, but requires a credit card, which I don't have. The other is from Flying Tiger, where I can use PayPal.In any event, I don't have three hundred bucks, so my Hnkooks will have to last another year or two. They are holding up very well so far. In the fall, I might have to just find a pair of snowies on sale locally to put on the rear.Thanks for the referral to PMC, cousin!Bil :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone

Money mart has a prepay visa that you can use as any other visa. You just go to money mart with cash an they load the card for you right there. Its what i use as opposed to pay pal.

MoneyMart Visa: $20 initial fee, $2.50 every time you add money to it, 50 cents per transaction, plus a $7.50 maintenance fee every month. And $10 cancel the card if you don't want it anymore. Another $100 or so every year - one percent of one's scant disability income - gone *POOF*, sucked up by the ravenous financial industry. I think not :no:Bil :sun:

Wooo dont know where you got that info from as i have nothing like that crazy charges.

That info is directly from their website.

I've run larger diameter tires on a 451 with excellent results, but I also had a lift kit and wheels spacers installed!FWIW, if you were happy with the Vreds, try to get the same again? Or is it a cost thing?

I was happy with the fronts but not the rears,one pair is quatrac 2's the other is quatrac 3's I don't know which was which but the rears are almost done,fronts are fine so I think I'll buy a pair of BF Goodrich Gforce comp2 for the rears $267 all in

Got my Coopers mounted today and this weekend i'm going to Plasti-dip my sportlines black :buttrock:

Edited by KurtMan

It is also a good idea to match the front and rear tires. So you really should only look at tires that will come in the 175/55/15 front size. Looks like you will be limited to the Vredesteins?!?!? Which is OK, they are a pretty good tire. Selling them with my car, they were my intermediate tires.I tried the larger rear tire diameter on my own car. Really hurts acceleration from the increase in gearing. Also seems to be much harder on the clutch.

Edited by MightyMouseTech

It is also a good idea to match the front and rear tires. So you really should only look at tires that will come in the 175/55/15 front size. Looks like you will be limited to the Vredesteins?!?!? Which is OK, they are a pretty good tire. Selling them with my car, they were my intermediate tires.I tried the larger rear tire diameter on my own car. Really hurts acceleration from the increase in gearing. Also seems to be much harder on the clutch.

Yeah that taller apparent gear ratio can really hurt, I remember my 84 toyota pickup with those big boots on.....but those 195's on my Roadster rims look so neat! I'll be good and stay with the proper diameter though.