Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spdrcln

Ouchie

21 posts in this topic

So, today I was sitting, waiting at a light, glanced in the rear view and thought "oh, dear, that car seems to be approaching rather fast..." Hopefully they don't write it off but I suspect SGI values a 2006 smart far less than I do. The bumper cover is busted up and the left rear fender is broken and I can't visually SEE much else but there's definitely some kind of other damage causing a loud noise, which may or may not be a large exhaust leak. The other guy seemed awfully amazed at how little damage was visible for how hard he hit me... post-9963-1365617660_thumb.jpg

Wow, I bet your car jumped a bit forward when hit.It may have crushed the aluminum sub bumper doing it's job in transferring the shock.Sounds like it broke the muffler intake pipe somewhere too, or knocked it loose.Just look at all that salt !

I had a similar rear ender a year ago. Body shop estimate was over $4000

Lovely... seeing as how there is nothing out there that can replace a smart, I have no idea what I will do if they write it off. What are the odds of finding another 2006 cabriolet in decent shape? :/

If they write it off, buy it back and keep it for parts, buy another one, doesn't matter if its in decent shape, out of the two you can make one and have left over parts.Canman

Yeah... I'll definitely buy it back if they write it off... definitely cheaper than replacing the car.

Damn, that's a shame. Sorry it happened to you.

Mine is gone. Showed way less damage that that. They gave me $5045.60. I didn't buy it back, ICBC is a monopolistic entity that rivals oil companies for arrogance in parting you and your money. I know that the average salvage price for a CDI smart is 1800.00 in BC. They appraised mine at 6600 or so, and took off 1.25cents for ea km over 149000. or $2150.00. Do you think they would take the same deal.....not a chance.We pay extra to drive a car to work, and they take money off because we do. I figure in 8 years they have been paid $12000.00 in my tax paid dollars to give me the privilege of been screwed out of 2000.00 when, through 0% fault of mine, my car was totaled by another of their customers, whom they will probably charge more now because of his bad driving. None of said extra cash will come my way.So I am out a very good car, and had the estimator tell me that the carpets and seats were dirty, the wheels were scratched, the headliner had marks that couldn't be removed with a detail etc. etc. I was driving the car as a daily driver, I did not have it for sale, and they are giving me hell and wanting to take money off for condition. I offered to come and pick the car up, take it home, detail it and bring it back for reassessment. That got a NO. Oh and the Pulse had a Glass roof, no headlinerAnyway, that is my rave, I wonder how many people in BC realize that ICBC will take 1.25c per km over what they deem to be a reasonable average for your vehicle, if your car is written off by them, after an accident that is 100% someone else' s fault.

Edited by Leipa

post-522-1365697268_thumb.jpgpost-522-1365697323_thumb.jpgThere it is.12 days short of 8 years. 23April2005-11 April 2013312,395 kms.= 39049/year = 107/day =4.45/hr. Slow car eh!!!I took the 310000 pic when it hit that, not recently. Edited by Leipa

Leipa,You should buy it back, it looks like less then $1,000 to fix, even with getting parts from the dealer.Canman

looks like, but if you look in the engine compartment, the turbo is broken, the rear suspension arm is bent, the big aluminum crossbar is bent way in and deformed both the frame rails where it attaches.I have had enough of it now, so disheartened tho' after all the time I put into it lately.

Are you allowed to take some of the aftermarket bits off? I bet the adjuster hasn't given you fair value for those.

I have not seen the car since it was towed. I maybe could have pressed the issue, but they(the adjusters) were not very friendly nor helpful.

I have not seen the car since it was towed. I maybe could have pressed the issue, but they(the adjusters) were not very friendly nor helpful.

i just smashed the front end of my smart, 541.. do u have this car still and might want to part out the front end and ship it up to northern ontario

Jbdesigns, i think your mistaken. The OP and Leipa have the 450 2005-2006 not the 451 2008-2013.

post-522-1365697268_thumb.jpgpost-522-1365697323_thumb.jpgThere it is.12 days short of 8 years. 23April2005-11 April 2013312,395 kms.= 39049/year = 107/day =4.45/hr. Slow car eh!!!I took the 310000 pic when it hit that, not recently.

Huh.. yeah... your's doesn't look so bad at all. I got news yesterday that they were fixing mine, I was very surprised. Mine only has a little over 80k, but still, I figured it was going to be written off for sure. I guess it's just because I am used to people undervaluing smarts and thinking they are little disposable cars.

Just so you know, it sold at the ICBC "auction" for 1100.00 and "mileage unknown' !

i have it now milage 315000 km