Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrtransmission

06 Cdi Failed Emissions Test Due To Error In Obd Communication

35 posts in this topic

Took my car for Ontario's new OBD2 emission test. Apparently it would communicate with the system for a while, then suddenly abort the test. I've got no other issues, no CEL, no codes. Running one of Tolson's maps for a few years, and using the EGR emulator. Any ideas? Anyone have a spare EGR solenoid for sale I could try (my resistor went bad)?

It's probably the map. If you are using a different version of one of the stock maps, presumably there were minor hardware revisions and different stock maps only fully work on certain cars. Some of the not-fully-compatible maps either don't work at all with OBD, or I guess could have a flaky connection. Try reverting back to the original map for your car. It should work then.

Does anyone have any original map files they could send? Mine was saved on a hard drive that has since failed. I guess I'll be pulling out my kwp2000+ this week to give that a try. And trying to find a computer running xp.

Send me a PM with your email, I have two stock map files that I can send you. As far as I know there isn't a publicly known way to identify what your original stock map is supposed to be, so you'll need to find some way to test whether your OBD is working or not after you put on the map (Such as a scanguage or some other type of diagnostic reader)

Is this the first remapped car that's failed?Ps;Is one of those stock map files mine Max? :whistle:

Is this the first remapped car that's failed?Ps;Is one of those stock map files mine Max? :whistle:

No, not the first to have failed. If you try switching around the stock maps, as I said, not all of them work on every car. It's presumably caused by minor differences in the OBD hardware, but I can't say for certain.And yes, one of those maps is yours Kurt. I see no harm in passing around stock maps for the purpose of getting someone back up and running again. I won't make it publicly available, since it isn't mine to publish, but I'll send it privately.

I had my emission test done in late March with no issues whatsoever and I have a remap. it must be the EGR bypass and not the remap that's the problem?

Guys,guys.... I'm not saying that the remap itself causes the test to fail, and I'm not saying that every remap will not work. All I'm saying is that on certain cars, certain specific remaps do not work. I know this for a fact. Glenn, you may remember when I got my remap from you at the Mystery Run two years ago that at first my ScanGauge wouldn't connect, and we had to remap it again with a slightly different version for my ScanGauge to connect.EDIT: My point is that a certain subset of cars will not work with remaps based on maps from a different subset of cars, due to hardware differences in the OBD chain.

Edited by FlossyTheSmart

It is not a remap per say ( not one that was bought and an actual upgrade) it is a different stock map, ( I believe from a European smart) I had the same map on my smart at one point, it shifted the transmission in a different way in Auto ( which was closer to the way i actually dive in manual) and gave the impression of more power ( now that I have my emulator I think the car has the same power as this map gave). This map does interfere with the communications with the OBDIi port ( aswas shown when I got my X-gauge and it would work until I put the stock map back on( as I am sure you remember mr.trans).) I seem to recall someone else had the same problem with this map as well ( couldn't pass the new Ontario drive clean) and was fine once the original map was put back in. One caution this map also seemed to block the check engine light from coming one ( if you remember I told you that as well stew) so when the original map is reinstalled you may get the unwelcome surprise of having to deal with a check engine light before you can pass the test ( when I reverted I immediately had a check engine light for the EGR, had to clean it before I could drive the car).To all the people who purchased a remap form Glenn or eddy ( or probably anyone else) you should have no problem passing the test as long as you check engine light isn't on. The car will also pass with the emulator. ( also if a scant usage or similar works with your car you should be fine, I'd it doesn't you may have a problem).

Am I missing something, I was under the impression that only 2008 and newer diesels had to be OBD compliant, older cars would still have the visual smoke test in Ontario testing. The smart is NOT OBD compliant as witnessed with most scan tools etc. Are they testing your car incorrectly? There is NOTHING in the smart to have readiness codes anyways it is a useless test! (yes there is emission controls to some extent but the way it monitors them is very out of date vs the 2008+ diesel with multiple temp and oxygen sensors). Somebody please fill me in, this is very important info as I do not want ANYONE other then the dealer (which does not do testing) plugging into my car and causing more odometer jumps and ABS/ESP problems!

Am I missing something, I was under the impression that only 2008 and newer diesels had to be OBD compliant, older cars would still have the visual smoke test in Ontario testing. The smart is NOT OBD compliant as witnessed with most scan tools etc. Are they testing your car incorrectly? There is NOTHING in the smart to have readiness codes anyways it is a useless test! (yes there is emission controls to some extent but the way it monitors them is very out of date vs the 2008+ diesel with multiple temp and oxygen sensors). Somebody please fill me in, this is very important info as I do not want ANYONE other then the dealer (which does not do testing) plugging into my car and causing more odometer jumps and ABS/ESP problems!

Nope. the newer OBD plug test is for all vehicles 1996 and newer. Had my 2006 tested, passed with a remap and an EGR emulator.

When the time comes for me to have mine tested, I will be taking a picture (witnessed by an employee) of the odometer just before it goes into the service area to be tested. They will also be signing a document stating that the car has an operating remap and cruise control before testing begins. If something goes south while it's in their care, it will be their responsibility to make things right.

Why not just take it to Dave at Mufflerman on Wharncliffe Rd S. He owns a diesel Smart himself and has E-tested quit a few.You can stand beside your car during entire test, if you have eye protection (any glasses... I used my reading glasses).BTW.... my '05 Smart has Eddy's re-map, done out west over 2 years ago, and passed the new test with no trouble at all.I think it's wishfully thinking to believe you'll find any tech facility that will sign any document any customer comes up with.It's only a $35 emission test, not open-heart surgery. Nobody needs your business if you make these demands on them.Let us know if you do find a shop that will guarantee the unknown. I'll take my rusty old truck in for a power wash.

Edited by smartnhappy

Sometimes living in the Wild West has its advantages.

Yeah I remember when the old Vancouver City test was abolished in 1983 under "restraint", I was able to drive my 1970 Renault 12 that cost me $50 for another year!

Took my car for Ontario's new OBD2 emission test. Apparently it would communicate with the system for a while, then suddenly abort the test. I've got no other issues, no CEL, no codes. Running one of Tolson's maps for a few years, and using the EGR emulator. Any ideas? Anyone have a spare EGR solenoid for sale I could try (my resistor went bad)?

Mine did the same thing. With the stock map in you should be fine.

Sorry I revisited the original post about the changes to the etest, it was originally posted that only 2008 up diesel would be OBD2 tested, the older ones just a smoke test but at some point that decision was reversed. So if you keep failing for no reason just ask for a smoke test version, make yourself heard. There are tons and tons of gas cars failing cause the inspectors have no idea how to set readiness codes (VW has a protocol, it is VERY EASY to set them there is a specific list that has to be performed it is not miles and miles of driving, just certain conditions) The gov needs to publish these protocols for each manufacturer to avoid the confusion...I am sure if they had star it would communicate with the car too hence it should not be your problem.

Update here. Thank you for the map Flossy. It had been years since I flashed in the map from Tolson, so I was quite nervous about bricking my car flashing it again. All went smoothly, had a check engine light for EGR code, which had been stored from years ago apparently. I have full communication with the Snap On scanner at work now, and no codes with the emulator. I had forgotten how slow the car seems with a stock map, and how bad the factory auto shifting was. Unfortunately less than 24 hours later a Nissan Cube drove into my rear end at a red light. This will be the second rear end the car suffered, and at 227k, it may be written off. After I deal with the insurance company and body shop. I'll update everyone if it passes it's DriveClean. On a happier note, I had been having a slightly rough idle the past few months, with the new map it's smooth as can be. Thanks to everyone, and hopefully I get to keep my car going until at least 300k.

Oh no not another one, what is with the rear ending of all these smarts lately ( see what you started Mike T? With your report of a good insurance payout? ( just kidding of course)). Seriously though there does seem to have been a lot of diesel smarts being rear ended lately, strange that they all seem to be yapping. So close together. Hope you car get yours fixed Stew.

This is the second time I've been rear ended in this car. First time I suffered bad whiplash and the car needed about $8000 in repairs. Isn't near as bad this time, but will need at least rear plastic, paint, aluminum crash bar, and whatever else is lurking behind the bumper cover. Both times the other driver was just not watching the road, but the first one tried to claim i panic stopped in front of him, even though I was stopped behind a car turning left for close to a minute.