stickman007

I'm Stumped...squealing Belt Noise

36 posts in this topic

Pumps should leak a wee bit to keep seal clean and wet seal. Purpose of weep hole is to prevent fluid entering bearing.

Pumps should leak a wee bit to keep seal clean and wet seal. Purpose of weep hole is to prevent fluid entering bearing.

Correction: Pumps should weep a wee bit, not leak. We are talking tears not torrents.

Tolsen: I'm trying to locate your vibration frequency thread - can't seem to find it! But I don't think its tightness...we'll find out when my water pump shows up on Tuesday!Bil: Water pump is not weeping - its leaking quite a bit, and there was the resistance to turning the shaft was abnormally high

The belt tensioning thread is HERE

Where did you source the pump, Izzy?

B :sun:

Tolsen: I'm trying to locate your vibration frequency thread - can't seem to find it! But I don't think its tightness...we'll find out when my water pump shows up on Tuesday!Bil: Water pump is not weeping - its leaking quite a bit, and there was the resistance to turning the shaft was abnormally high

Unfortunately the bearing is toast. Time for a new pump. I have never seen any coolant come out of the weeping hole on a pump that was still good. I have replaced 100's of water pumps, any that had signs of coolant coming out of them had worn bearings.

The belt tensioning thread is HEREWhere did you source the pump, Izzy?B :sun:

Local part store, (they usually can't get me anything, but I thought I would give them a try again since I'm in a jam)$85 - Beck&Arnie part...will get here on TuesRockauto wanted $80 - plus shipping will probably take 2 wksMightyMouseTech - I was thinking the same thing, but thought I should run it by you guys :)

I'm the one with the seized alternator. I haven't got it back together yet. I found a new alternator including shipping for $359 on an online autoparts supplier. Unfortunately it wasn't packed well arriving after 7 days with the voltage regulator cable connection broken off :( I then found someone in Burnaby that has rebuilt smart alternators and thought I had solved my problem for only $155, but the stator was burnt and can't easily be purchased separately for a smart...sigh. Too bad it so unreasonably difficult and expensive to find parts in Canada for what is otherwise a great little car. While I have it apart I will have a close look at the water pump situation. It is great to know how I can find one.

Just a quick report back to the thread (I made comments else where on the forum)The noise completely went away after I swapped the turbo/exhaust manifold. The noise was from the cracked exhaust manifold. I haven't installed the waterpump yet as there's no need now that the whistling is gone.I know its hard to believe me, but the exhaust leak really really really really sounded like a belt squeal! I've consulted with multiple auto mechanics in town here, (or maybe we all just sucked? LOL).Izzy

So, I had this problem as well.  Ordered a online replacement alternator and discovered using the magnet, that the pulley was made of aluminum.  Swapped the steel pulley on the new alt and returned it with aluminum with full refund, problem solved.