Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quirky1

Battery Tenders

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I noticed Canadian Tire currently has a sale on these units from Deltran. One is 0.75A and the other is 1.25A.

[*]Are these good to use on the smart?

[*]Is the smaller unit good enough?

[*]For a car in storage, approximately how long would it take to bring the battery to a full charge if the tender is used on a monthly basis? The tender cannot be permanently connected as the car is in a public area.

Edited by quirky1

I have one permanently mounted in the car, plugged into the spare outlet in the battery well. Charges the battery any time the block heater is plugged in. Similar to the smaller one you listed, same brand but is completely weatherproof and a little bigger. Would take quite a while to charge a discharged battery at only 1.0 amp, would probably take days.

I bought the Noco Genius G750 also on sale at CT. It is a .75A charger that I have used over the past three months on two car batteries, a boat battery, and a snowmobile battery. I like it so much that I bought a second one for the cottage.If a battery is in good condition but hasn't been used in a month it can take 5 minutes to one hour to charge up.I particularly like the quick connect eyelet terminal connectors that I installed on the snowmobile and smart car because the batteries are difficult to access with the regular clamp connectors.These chargers remember their program so you only need to program them once for 6 or 12 volts. This is also good in the event of a power failure.

Should a 1.5A unit be considered a maintainer rather than a charger? Or can such a unit still fully charge a battery but just take longer? According to the Noco Genius product guide on this page the higher rated G3500 is able to charge while lower models can only maintain. Of course it comes with a higher price but would it be a better buy? Also, I noticed most Noco units can recover a sulphated battery while the Deltran units cannot.

@TO Ed: Do the Noco eyelet connectors fit snugly on the smart battery terminals? I noticed the Deltran ones are smaller in comparison.

Edited by quirky1

The Noco eyelet connectors fit perfectly on the smart.I own six battery chargers. I suggest that if you don't own any your first purchase should be a regular charger that can charge at 2, 10 and 75 amps (for starting). This type of charger can be used on the 2A setting to charge small and AGM batteries, on the 10 A setting for regular discharged flooded batteries as well as starting your car on those very cold days by using the 75 A feature.Make sure you buy it on sale of you will pay too much.By the way, none of the chargers will desulphate a battery in my experience. This feature is marketing BS. In fact the desulphating cycle will destroy a marginal battery in my experience.

I have the CTEK Multi US 3300. A technically smart battery charger-maintainer. Usually priced around $75, you can sometimes find them on sale for $40 or so. I got mine on special from Lordco.The quick-disconnect leads are hardwired to the battery so I can just snap the wires together and plug the charger into the pass-through cable.

Posted Image

[*]Input voltage AC 85-125VAC, 50-60Hz

[*]Output voltage Nominal: 12V

[*]Efficiency HIGH 85%

[*]Charging voltage 14.4V /14.7V

[*]Charging current 0.8/3.3A max

[*]Back current drain* <1Ah per month

[*]Ripple** 2%

[*]Ambient temperature -4°F to +122°F, output power is reduced automatically at higher temperatures

[*]Type of charger 4 step, fully automatic switch mode with pulse maintenance

[*]Type of batteries 12V lead-acid batteries (Wet, MF, AGM, GEL and Ca)

[*]Battery capacity 1.2-120Ah

Bil :sun:

The small maintainers will fully charge a drained battery, given a few day to a week. Really though they are intended to maintain a fully charged battery. Sounds like a job for a solar charger, or is it underground?

Note that with a totally dead battery, not even a glimmer of lights, most new smart chargers won't recognize they are attached to a battery so won't come on. You need to boost it with another battery, or give it a bit of a charge with an old style dumb charger.

Solar is not an option; the car is in an underground. I suppose a cheaper unit, one that's intended to maintain a battery, would be good enough if it can also charge, even if it takes longer to do so. The battery would not run down completely if I'm maintaining it on a regular schedule.

Edited by quirky1

A maintainer is generally better than a charger for your purpose, as it will have better fine control. A high-end charger will do just as good a job, but cheaper units even though they have a trickle charge feature they won't be as sensitive.Can't you get a cheap extension cord and sling it overhead to the car, and leave a maintainer on 24/7 as it is intended? Don't ask, just do a tidy job so it is out of the way. Likely no-one will say a word and you'll be fine, if a complaint comes in apologise and go to plan "B".

Based on the past experience of other people who did something similar, a complaint can pretty much be guaranteed. However I'll see if there's an outlet nearby that is not in plain sight.

Strata Nazis, got to hate them. I'd never live in a condo for that reason alone.

I am a president of a council, and let me tell you, 'pain in the ...'However, I did write the electric vehicle bylaw which passed last yearAnd we now have a Tesla S on site with wiring and a dedicated 50A