Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

The Drive-in Movie Theatre

21 posts in this topic

Posted Image

If you're like me and have fond memories of sultry summer nights with "the gang" at the drive-in, or if you've never been to one or are too young to remember those days, here's your chance.

An hour up the highway from Kelowna, BC is one of the small number -- and the biggest and best outdoor screen! -- of remaining drive-ins in North America, the Starlight Drive-In Theatre in Enderby . Click the link for movie dates/times, traveling directions, local accommodations and more.

This is a classic outdoor theatre, restored to its 1960s glory, and updated with 21st Century digital film and sound technology. Its rural setting, away from the discord and din of modern life, lets you immerse yourself in a casual and friendly "back to the future" vibe.

Come on up to the Okanagan and catch the latest movie releases. Weekends only, May 3rd until June 21st, then open every night through the summer until September 1st.

Check out this recent Globe and Mail article HERE .

Wouldn't it be amazing fun to pack a row with smart cars!? Yeah, it would :thumbup: Or bring the whole family in your other car. Come on over sometime and let's get together and "do the drive-in"!

Bil :sun:

Uh.... Rick, I think you have misconstrueselated my invitation. And possibly my "orientation" as well ;) But let me know if you want to bring your wife & son up for a holiday sometime this summer. You'd love my sponsors' B&B in West Kelowna . They have an amazing trio of Welsh Corgis.

Bil :drive:

Sounds like fun Bill, Hope something can be setup for a Friday as have to work weekends. The boss and I would love to join in.

Must be a bitterly cold experience on winter nights unless you have a Webasto.

They have DRY COLD up there Tolsen; not wet cold like we have on the coast. They can wear shorts and t-shirt down to around minus 30 and still not feel cold. My brother-in-law, who lives in Edmonton, swears to that.Roy

Must be a bitterly cold experience on winter nights unless you have a Webasto.

Or a hot babe beside you. :bighug:

@ tolsen... you must be joking; pull the other one, mate :)

Quite a lot of businesses in this country operate only during appropriate seasons; many things shut down completely in the winter, and these outdoor movie theatres definitely do. The Starlight is open for only four months of the year, from the beginning of May through the end of August.

Like ski resorts from November through March, these seasonal businesses have to make enough money in several months to pay 12 months of property taxes and investment financing.

Surely it must be similar where you live? Seasonal fisheries and such...

Regards,

Bil :sun:

Do you have seasonal drive in loos too or is that only south of the border?

I only require loo south of my border.B :sun:

Are there drive in loos at drive in movie theatres? If not what do you do when nature calls? You see I know nothing about these drive in things, whether drive in pawn shops or drive in barber shops etc etc. I am just trying to enlighten myself a wee bit about these mysterious structures.

Why no Smart car and why are half the cars parked facing away from screen?

Posted Image

Most drive-ins have a concession stand of some sort and washroom facilities.As for the vehicles parked away from the screen, it is sometime more comfortable to be on the outside of the vehicle, sitting in a folding lawn chair. For vans with three rows of seating the back row would likely be unable to see the screen. Sitting in the back seat of a car is bad enough for visibility. They park backwards, some can sit in the back of the van, some outside in chairs and with the gate open you can still easily hear the car stereo.

Why no Smart car and why are half the cars parked facing away from screen?

Very few smart cars in this region, and the modern drive-in is most popular with families, rather than couples. In the 60s and 70s drive-ins used to run X-rated adult-only movies on certain nights, but since the introduction of home VHS and now Internet, young people can get jolly at home. And not risk mosquito bites on the bum.Hatchback cars and pickup trucks often face away from the screen so people can lie down in the back with the hatch raised for extra viewing comfort, especially with young children up late at night.Bil :sun:

The factory stereo in my cdi is so horrible I have not been to the drive-in since buying it, the radio is seldom on. I really miss the aftermarket stereo I had in my Saturn.

Many thanks for educating me on these drive in matters. I was convinced there indeed was a drive in loo. Thought American cars came with specially adapted seats similar to the union suit with flap.

It's only natural: eat in car, procreate in car, perform ablutions in car. Perfectly logical series ;)

And to cap off the total car-culture experience, several celebrities have already been, or have specified in their wills, burial in their cars.B :drive:

We have a drive-in movie theatre just outside of town. Great to go to in the summer if you like to be up late. Prices are good, beats paying high price at the reg movie theatre.:-)