Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bessy

Burlington, On To Pelee Island And Back One Tank?

11 posts in this topic

Wife and I are going on our longest road trip with the smart we've done since we got it, 600+km round trip. By my calculations we need to average 3.6LHK and I need to stuff the tank full. I'm thinking lifting the RR Corner while filling or fill a 5 litre Jerry Can and top up in the morning (going to fill the night before leaving)Any advice? Suggestions on tools to bring? I'm debating bringing a tire along but don't want the weight.Any concerns of construction along the 401/403? We are leaving before 6am Sunday to be at the Ferry in Leamington for 9am.Anyone live in Leamington to visit?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mid to low 3's are possible at those speeds as long as it is not too windy and you can go without running the A/C too much.

Edited by Huronlad

It's entirely possible, but be careful not to run the tank dry. Diesels are horrible things to get re-started after running out of fuel. I would suggest carrying a 1 gallon (4.55 L.) container of fuel, just in case. A little "creative drafting" behind trucks will also help, especially going up the 'mountain'.If it's really hot, keep in mind that the fuel pump relies on the fuel to keep it cool. If you get close to empty and you can feel the car starting to 'lurch', it would be best to stop and add the fuel from the container that I suggested bringing. If you have issues of any sort, feel free to call. I will PM you my phone #'s.At the time of day that you are planning on leaving, 90-100 kph is easy to maintain without getting run off the road. We are in Belmont (5 minutes south, off the 401 at exit #195 .. Westchester Bourne). Feel free to drop in on your way home if you have the time. If interested, I will PM you my phone # and directions to my house.Toot and wave as you go by exit #195. :)

Thanks for the tips Ron, got your PM and will keep in mind.

If you stick to 90km/h and let the terrain dictate your acceleration you can easily clear 700kms, so long as the roads are dry and the headwind weak! I usually mange more then 600 each and every tank, going over 90 kills it fast though

UPDATE! 07:10 hrs, Sunday, June 23/13

Spotted Bessy and passengers west-bound and down ;)

The last picture is a bit blurry due to their incredible speed (but mainly my poor photographic skills)

post-7529-1371987887_thumb.jpg

post-7529-1371987897_thumb.jpg

post-7529-1371987909_thumb.jpg

post-7529-1371987918_thumb.jpg

Update, we have made it. 3.5 L/100km average. We got very lucky and got on hwy right behind a truck and drafted all the way, he even stopped at the same rest stop as us :) we made good time around 110km/h on the hwy keeping pace with the truck. Settled into our B&B on pelee island after a ferry trip. I'm not sure we will make it all the way home on this tank, we've driven around the island a fair bit through the day. Had a great surprise seeing Ron along the way, his lil smart is a rocket!The island is so relaxing, havin trouble finding good food though.

post-10504-1372033371_thumb.jpg

Our best was 685 km, Hamilton to South Bend IN, 21L, with 1 to spare, I think it was 3.2/100.We are now leaving to move to Calgary, and I expect at least 3.6, as I have made bets that we can do the trip on $150 for fuel, its 3450 km.

We are home, 645km in 23L. We stopped on the way back and filled up, I made a calculation approaching London that showed we would be 7ml to the good...but that wasn't good enough and we were rushing to get home (yes I know the fuel stop took longer than slowing to save fuel would have).The trip was great, we did some driving around the island and everyone smiled and waved. We rented bicycles and biked the island (yikes!) it was a workout, 30km total and the last 10km took 2 hours because we were spent.We were told there weren't many beaches to swim at, we were lied to. We found so many but didn't have suits with us, and skinny dipping with water snakes was out of the question! We did walk along the beach ankle deep in water alot though.On our last day we drove to the trail that goes out to Fish Point, the most southern tip of Canadian Soil (sand) and after a 20 minute walk through the woods you come out to an awesome beach. We also explored abit and got stuck behind a tanker of calcium cloride spraying the dirt road, after passing him in the grass we realized how muddy the car was :( that led to a 10pm washing when we got home.Went to the winery of course, they have a BBQ pit there where you can cook your own food or buy some food to cook...and of course you can enjoy the wine you bought at the winery there too.All in all it was an awesome trip, super relaxing very quiet. We stayed at The Gathering Place and would highly recommend it!My only note is that it is an island so food is the downside, it's not for the picky. The fries at every restuarant are the same and not great, the meat they serve is frozen never fresh, and fruits and veggies are hard to come by. You could score points with your B&B owner by asking what you could bring over for them. Also buy fuel before crossing to the island $1.70/L is cheap there apparently...I would go again, and bring a bathing suit and some of my own food and camp stove.