Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scampo77

Trailer Hitch For 2006

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I have bought my first smart car about a week ago. I need to get a trailer hitch for it so I can carry my bike around with me. the only hitch I can find is part #11020. This hitch is only for 2008-2010. how different are the models from these years? I am not opposed to cutting and re-welding the hitch if I have to if it is only minor alterations. I just don't want to purchase something that is radically different or it be something I cant use at all. Any advice would help me out a lot.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi there, welcome to the club!

Bil (Bilgladstone) has a hitch that will work for you 2006 Smart (450).

I made one a while back and costed about $60 in parts, not very hard, but to be honest, Bil's is much nicer. All the info needed to build one is found on this forum! I will try to dig through some of my notes and see if I can pull up what I did for you :)

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopi...mp;#entry312852

Good Luck!

BTW, I don't think the 2008+ one will fit your car

Izzy

Edited by stickman007

PM sent. Thanks for the positive reviews, guys.Bil :sun:

Here's some pic of the one that I made for my cabrio with the rear bumper piece off, can't seem to find the dimensions, but like I said before, Bil's is MUCH MUCH nicer! Its worth it!post-11642-1372191251_thumb.jpgpost-11642-1372191274_thumb.jpgpost-11642-1372191308_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a hitch on two of my smart cars. They work fine but they are not Bills. I wish I had Bills but I already cut a hole in my rear panels so I am stickin with them. Get in touch with Bill and do it right. We don't use ours for a bike rack but actually pull a 535 pound +- tent trailer. Some pics from our last weekend camping trip.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one taken on a previous trip.

Posted Image

Edited by John & Angela