smart142

The Model T

60 posts in this topic

Over a hundred years ago the Ford Model T was introduced to the world. It became ''the car of the 20th century!''.

Henry Ford said, ''"I will build a car for the great multitude. It will be large enough for the family, but small enough for the individual to run and care for. It will be constructed of the best materials, by the best men to be hired, after the simplest designs that modern engineering can devise. But it will be so low in price that no man making a good salary will be unable to own one – and enjoy with his family the blessing of hours of pleasure in God's great open spaces."

It quickly became prized for its low cost, durability, versatility, and ease of maintenance. More than 15 million Model Ts were built.

A month ago I had the pleasure of visiting the Ford museum and Greenfield village in Dearborn Michigan.

While there I had the pleasure of driving in a Model T. That cost me $5 but it was well worth it. Riding in a piece of history that transformed the world!!!!

I did some reading and was impressed even more.

The model T internet clubs are very active and info about them is astonishing!

Parts are still availible and running cars can still be bought. And of course Jay Leno owns one....click here

I was also pleased to discover that over 750,000 model T's were built in Walkerville Ontario.

So, with the blessing of Liz, I have begun my search for a Canadian made Model T touring.

Wish me luck.

ps. the Ontario chapter of the Model T club is meeting in Niagara this Sunday.click here.

We'll be there to check it out :D

I've always wanted a Model T as well. I fell in love when at a Michigan car show some years back. Someone had a fully restored Walkerville car, very early, and from the brass era (lots of polishing going on there). It had the white tires and as it drove around the golf course, you could see how well suited it was for uneven terrain.We were in Uxbridge two weekends ago and a Touring was at the Tim Horton's. A few minutes later, I thought I saw the Touring entering the parking lot where we had gone to across the street for ice cream. No, it turned out to be a second one! They were travelling around visiting various towns. Two in one day.I could probably drive one around the roads near Oshawa, but they don't go very fast which is good because the standard brakes aren't too good either. There is a modification for "Rocky Mountain brakes" and a two speed rear end. Like the smarts, there are all kinds of things to "mod" on a "T".Diesel Dave mentioned that he has a "T" recently. Can't remember if he said it was a Touring.

My friend Michel Verdier in France has a decent car collection, not the least of which is of the Model T Ford. In fact, just last weekend he was at a Model T rally in France with one of his cars. His other vintage car interest is Peugeot 404s, which is how I met him 25 years ago.

Looks to be all original, unrestored.Nice find, good luck in getting it.It might be worth more in the unrestored condition.

Congrats Glenn if you get that one. It's in nice shape and more importantly, is very correct and original appearing. Here is a pic of mine. It is a 1919 Runabout. Mine is American.

post-166-1372976868_thumb.jpg

OMG!!!!!! I'm in shock! Our offer was accepted for the model ''T'' on Monday and the car was delivered yesterday!!

and yesterday Diesel Dave and Pam came for a visit. They drove their ''T'' from Hamilton.That was incredible and then Dave helped us become familiar with our ''T''!

What a vehicle! I now own a piece of history! Liz and I are very excited

!I'll try to post some pics later.

Congrats Glenn! Looking forward to seeing it in person.I guess we know what you're bringing to next years' Sombra show ;)

Congrats on the T Glenn, I know when we met you were expecting to wait a little while, guess the owners was ready to sell. I am sure you will enjoy it ( just don't neglect the smarts, they'll make you pay).

Good job, Glenn! What is the top speed? Are any period modifications possible? I would like a prewar car one day too, but if it wouldn't do 100 km/h I would have to think twice!

Congratulations Glenn.Sounds like you and yours are really going to enjoy yourselves.

What is the top speed? Are any period modifications possible? I would like a prewar car one day too, but if it wouldn't do 100 km/h I would have to think twice!

Top speed is 64 km/h, cruising speed is probably around 50. We didn't buy it for the speed :biglaugh: There are lots of modifications available, the ''T'' was the car that started the modification industry. And everything is still available! Now I have to get reaquainted with gas engines with plugs, coils, and weird carbs. Yesterday my garage was a 2 ''T'' garage :D

post-35-1373716493_thumb.jpg

post-35-1373716538_thumb.jpg

post-35-1373716586_thumb.jpg

post-35-1373716651_thumb.jpg

post-35-1373716762_thumb.jpg

post-35-1373716799_thumb.jpg

First thing....You're going to have to mount some orange side-marker lights on the car so that you can swap them out for clear.You know this is the first modification you do on every car. :P

Congrats on getting that Model T you were looking for. Looks like a great find, looking forward to seeing this car and getting a ride in it!

We've had the T for a week now and are still getting acquainted.

Lizzy is ''moody'' and starts when she wants.

However today was a good day and we got the spark advance, the throttle and carb setting just right and off we went.

All the controls are different from modern cars. Left peddle is like a clutch but you push in to go. Middle peddle is reverse, also a push in, and transmission brake is on the right.

On the steering column the right lever is the throttle, and the left lever is the spark advance.

The large hand lever on the left is for park, neutral and tranny engage.

Confused? I was!

We kept the speed down, toured the neighbourhood, and topped her up with fuel.

Tomorrow I'll do an oil change and then do a chassis lube.

It seems like we have a very good running ''T''! She puts a smile on the face of people who see her putt by :D

And today was the first day that Liz drove Lizzie! :spot:

Good for you Glenn! I'd be coufused with these odd controls for a while. Dis sure is a cool car B)

My cousin sent some pictures of pictures from the family album.They are of my grandfathers model T from a 100 years ago in Brandon Manitoba. Same model as ours! :spot:

post-35-1374408562_thumb.jpg

post-35-1374408736_thumb.jpg

post-35-1374408756_thumb.jpg

post-35-1374408776_thumb.jpg

That's cool that you have the same model of car as your grandfather used to. Sorry my car kept you away from your toy today though.

Here's the pedals Glenn was referring to earlier. This particular car is a 1912. Anyone wanting to see more, the group will be based in Woodstock for the rest of this week. They will be in the Waterloo / St. Jabobs area on Tuesday, Stratford on Wednesday, near Port Burwell on Thursday and Tillsonburg on Friday.

post-7529-1374531744_thumb.jpg

post-7529-1374531764_thumb.jpg

post-7529-1374587132_thumb.jpg

I was pleased to learn that parts are readily available and very reasonable.

The lens in the tail light was broken- $8.55, the lower windshield $50, springs for clutch, reverse, and brake $0.55 each.

The exhaust cannister $70, but I repaired it for less than $10.

A complete wiring harness $155 (not needed)

There is a company just outside Buffalo NY that has a huge warehouse and I checked it out on Thursday- MACS. They have 3 ''T''s in the showroom and a vintage mustang, pictures below..

Model_____T______aug_2013_007.jpg

Model_____T______aug_2013_004.jpg

Model_____T______aug_2013_006.jpg

Model_____T______aug_2013_001.jpg

Model_____T______aug_2013_002.jpg

Model_____T______aug_2013_003.jpg

Model_____T______aug_2013_008.jpg

If only parts for new cars were that reasonably priced ( and easy for find sometimes too )