Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

R.I.P. Bil Gladstone

107 posts in this topic

I'm shocked and saddened to hear about Bil.I met with him in 2011 on my way out west. Dinner and beers were on me.We met up again in 2012 on my next trip out west. This time he paid for dinner and beers.Plans were made to meet up this year again, and it was to be my turn to pay.... sort of a running joke.These get-togethers were quite enjoyable, and Bil was a great guy to talk with about Smart cars.My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Yes, I will miss his regular contributions and his projects - the oil catch cans, various mufflers, trailer hitches. He must have been remarkably patient to have kept to his smart car all these years. We should raise a toast to him at future meetings!Ian

We always met for lunch when he was at Eddy's for service and he stayedat our place when he was passing through town. My son really liked Bil and was extremely sad to hear of his passing...

I did not know Bil, but enjoyed his posts and was amazed at his knowledge of smarts. He was only 59, does anyone know what happened to him? My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Our sincere condolences to Bil's family.Bil's posts were always informative and helped make smart fortwo ownership a pleasure.He will be missed by all. Clubsmartcar will have to memorialize Bil's contributions to our smart community.Deepest sympathy,Ron and Joyce

I agree and was thinking of that myself, so let's think how we can do something here to maintain his memory.

When I checked in here and saw this news, I'm sure my heart stopped for a moment. My mouth still agape, I could only fumble for the words to tell my wife that one of my most esteemed online friends had passed.Bil's wonderful charm -- and almost impish delight -- when discussing all things smart will be fondly remembered by any who have had the pleasure of reading his musings here, or of meeting him in real life.Wordsmith, tinkerer, friend... I'll miss you, Bil.

Such sad news...I always looked forward to reading Bil's posts and enjoyed following his varied projects.

Very sad news, I always enjoyed Bil's comments, and his in depth research into his smart projects. He will be missed.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bil visited me and a bunch of other club friends a while back.Here he is, happy with his car just before leaving,There was no one like him. what a classic gentleman and great guy around.This is a HUGE loss for the world.I'm so upset right now, my eyes are watering as I type.He rolled up that day with a huge smile and a carload of local Kelowna cider for us to try He then gave a gift of some spices to Doreen my wife.We all had lunch, then drove each others cars to the oceanside down the highway. then chatted all day about club members and smarts.Bil then spent the night at our home before then going over to Ricks (lebikerboy's place) in Vancouver. (I think)I will really miss his silly posts and neat ideas.Bil, simply put, you were "Club Smart Cars GLUE"

post-3704-1373031166_thumb.jpg

post-3704-1373032536_thumb.jpg

Edited by Coast Steve

Thanks Steve for the photo of Bil. Never met the man but I have known him for many years.He ALWAYS had an answer for me for the many times I contacted him with questions about my smart.On my yearly visit to Vernon B.C. this fall, I had promised Bil that I would go out of my way to visithim to show off my rig. I now wish I had done this a year earlier.R.I.P. Bil I will truly miss you Worker Not (Ron Thachuk)

Ron, he truly was the kind of guy that when you met him for the very first time, he just made you feel very comfortable.like an old buddy or an uncle or something.The first time I actually met Bil in person, it was August 2008 at dinner, when a whole group of excited CSC members meet up to take a performance driving classl in Maple Ridge BC.We all had dinner together at a huge table and chatted the night before the big event the next day.We will all remember Bil having a great time putting his smart through it's paces at that event.He drove up to Vancouver from his home in Kelowna for.

Edited by Coast Steve

That's so true Steve. Bil was one guy I always went out of my way for.My eyes keep tearing up whenever my thoughts go to him...

Bil wouldn't want us to be upset though Rick,He would want us to keep our heads up and keep moving ahead with the CSC's progression and keep coming up with new ideas in Smart repairs and modifications to our cars.(I think this was his favorite area of the club)I know it won't be the same though without his endless wacky list of inventions like .... "THE ANACONDA" exhaust system :rolleyes:

Edited by Coast Steve

I agree and was thinking of that myself, so let's think how we can do something here to maintain his memory.

A special thread to post stories and photos might be nice. Maybe include links to some of his modifications.

A great guy, funny, inspiring and with lots of good ideas.

He left us too early, but in good memories he stays.

Rest in peace Bil Gladstone

I am saddened by the news of Bill's passing as well.Bill was quite often the first responder to many of my posts on this wonderful site! And was always very kind and the first with compliments!I was hoping to meet up with him on my first western smart car tour in 2014 or 15!My sincere condolences to his friends and family!Missed by all!ETHICAL BEEF (James)

I'm still in shock over Bil's passing. Saw him only 3 weeks ago!He was the first CsC member that I met in person. He was the one that got me addicted into "tinkling" and "inventing" stuff for my car. Every time I logged into CsC, I miss reading his posts and comments.Great lost for the smart car community...Izzy

We met Bil several times over the years and he was a big contributor to this forum. We will really miss Bil.Does anyone know if something will be done with the Smart members, maybe a big get together?

God speed bill,your truly going to be missed.May god have a smart there waiting for you.

rest in peace Bil. you were always the clubs moderator in my eyes, he was always trying to defuse the situation when things got heated. you will be missed friend.