yyzboyz

Abs And ! Warning Light

22 posts in this topic

Just recently I have noticed that my ABS and ! warning lights will come on occassionally. Does this have something to do with the reluctor rings?

Under what conditions do the lights illuminate? Could be rings, could be a sensor or wiring, could be a brake lamp switch, could be normal operation, more details are certainly needed to make a proper diagnosis.

it just happens while driving on the highway randomly. Sometimes it happens when I hit a bump, sometimes it happens when I have the cruise control on.....but it doesn't happen all the time?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Most likely is the reluctor rings, but that's a big job so you want to be sure. Symptoms! When, how fast, cold/warm, wet/dry, always or just rarely, any recent work done, etc. Tire sizes and condition as well, because especially with well-worn front tires and new rear tires it can give nuisance activation of the ESP on bumpy corners. Does the light stay on until a restart (problem) or just flicker for a few seconds while driving (normal activation indicator). Alignment, suspension wear, tire condition/pressure and other factors can give you unwanted activation even though the entire stability system is perfect.

Edited by Alex

Posted (edited) · Report post

There is something in the owners manual about that. We had same experience and I posted here about it. never had to do anything, just did what it said to do in manual and problem went away. Had to do it a couple of times - Perhaps the error ir initially stored goes away after a while.

Here is the thread:

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopi...22&hl=light

Never changed anything and problem has not resurfaced.

Edited by Graham

Most likely is the reluctor rings, but that's a big job so you want to be sure. Symptoms! When, how fast, cold/warm, wet/dry, always or just rarely, any recent work done, etc. Tire sizes and condition as well, because especially with well-worn front tires and new rear tires it can give nuisance activation of the ESP on bumpy corners. Does the light stay on until a restart (problem) or just flicker for a few seconds while driving (normal activation indicator). Alignment, suspension wear, tire condition/pressure and other factors can give you unwanted activation even though the entire stability system is perfect.

@ Alex...it does not come on all the time. I noticed it only when I had my cruise control installed a few weeks ago. The weather here in Toronto has been relatively hot and dry. When ABS does come on, I am usually doing about 100KM and the lights will stay on until I restart the engine again. Its possible that my front tires are worn and I did buy new tires for the rear last year. I will have to check my tire pressure as that is something I haven't done latelty. I am also in need of a alignment but I wouldn't think it was that? The suspension are new from last year.

I would bet good money on the reluctor rings.

Hopefully for OP you are wrong. He has mentioned several other possible causes but reluctors should be easy enough to check and rule out if not the problem. Luckily for you, when you offered to bet me too, I didn't take you up :) In my case, it was just a spurious error that has never re-occured. But I did check and rust protect the rear rings.

@Graham...I hope you're right

I copied this off the net, but this is what the 451 model owners manual says. 450 manual says something along same lines, but less (if I recall correctly)I don't have the experience others do with the smart, but on other Mercedes, it is often a tracking error caused by tires or alignment. Seeing you need new front tires and an alignment anyway, perhaps the problem will go away. But it is easy enough to check reluctor rings. (I checked mine with wheels on by taking pictures, then move the car a bit and take another. Or better, just take wheels off and take a look-see.I do hope you are as lucky as I was with this fault.

The ESP® warning lampflashes while driving.The ESP® has engaged because of detected traction loss in at least one tire.X When driving off, apply as little throttle as possible.X While driving, ease up on the accelerator pedal.X Adapt your speed and driving to the prevailing road andweather conditions.The ESP® warning lampilluminates continuously while the engine is running.The ESP® is not operational due to a system failure.X Have the system checked at an authorized smart center.The ESP® is not available.X Have the system checked at an authorized smart center.G Warning!When the ESP® warning lamp is illuminated continuously, the ESP® is not available or notoperational due to a system failure.Adapt your speed and driving to the prevailing road conditions and the non-operating status of the ESP®.i It may be possible to clear a system failure by restarting the engine.X Restart the engine.If the warning lamp still does not go out, have the system checked at an authorized smart center immediately.i More information on the ESP® can be found in the “Safety” section (Y page 48).

I had Joe @Supersmart.ca change the reluctor ring that was cracked. The cruise control now works perfectly. Thank you all for your advice.

@Graham...I hope you're right

Alex & smart142 were right and I was wrong. Too bad - hope it didn't cost you too much. Edited by Graham

Heh there.

Just had the same problem with my 2005 smart conv.  Thanks for these postings! I will give this Joe @Supersmart.ca after I see for myself what might be the problem. Car seems OK otherwise.I am in Burlington so if someone knows of someone who deals with smart in my area would be appreciated as well.

7 hours ago, knowdesign said:

Heh there.

Just had the same problem with my 2005 smart conv.  Thanks for these postings! I will give this Joe @Supersmart.ca after I see for myself what might be the problem. Car seems OK otherwise.I am in Burlington so if someone knows of someone who deals with smart in my area would be appreciated as well.

Welcome to the site and short answer YES.....it's easy to see if you have a bad one....simply jack up car enough to get wheel off ground, support with a jack stand of some sort and get into a position where you can see the wheel end of the drive shaft or half shaft. That's where the reluctor ring is. Slowly rotate it and carefully look for a crack between the blocks of the ring. Do both sides and check well. Most are easily visible but you often get one that is difficult to see.

Glenn, Smart142 is the local guy who works on Smarts, he's in London and well worth the drive as the saying goes.  I expect he'll have a shaft ready to install already installed with new reluctor ring.   PM him, great guy and very resonably priced to say the least!
IF you are at all handy it's a job you can do easily. There are plenty of how to's on how to get it done. The best place to buy just the rings is in England if I remember correctly. It's here somewhere, the link that is.....research it.....it shouldn't be hard to find.....I think they are like $20 maybe a bit more....many on Amazon also....

Hope this helps.....again welcome.

1 person likes this

Glenn works any day of the week as needed.  He just serviced mine two weeks ago on a Sunday.  

Nigel

..I have 2 so I guess I better get handy! So far I just did minor work like oil (fun on the 2005) brakes, filters,re lube that crazy actuator thing when it started shifting funny..I am used to working on GMs so new to these.

So far I dont think getting the 2 of them makes me 2 smart..I will try and take pics as I..mess up...

2 smart1.jpg

2 people like this

@knowdesign  ..... "..I have 2" ........ So, one for each foot, right?  LOL

I also have two.  Same as you, one convertible and one coupe.   Love them both.  They are nothing like GM or any other "normal" car out there.  Oil changes are fairly simple but be sure NOT to over-fill them.  A max of 2.7 liters of oil when changing it in the 450.   It should be about half to three quarters of the way up the hash marks on the dipstick when done right..

BTW, :welcome:  to the club.  Always nice to see new faces on the site. 

1 person likes this