Graham

Rear Shock Bushings Or Used Shocks.

23 posts in this topic

The upper bushing on one of our rear shocks is worn. Shocks show no sign of leakage. Has anyone had any luck finding replacement shock bushings? Or perhaps know the size?I found listings of many bushing sizes at Summit Racing in USA, but smart forums seem quiet on this issue.Flying Tiger has a used set of shocks, but shipping is a killer as is their new price. Essex (Bilstein canada) don't list 450 shocks, but I suppose can get them.

Mercedes don't seem to sell rear shock bushing alone unfortunately. They are sold with the complete shock. But are you realy sure that your rear shock bushing are worn? Because often, the rubber look worn outside but it still good inside. If there is no endplay or loose between the shock eye and the bushing, no rear suspension rattle noise and the shock don't leak, why should you replace it? They are still good for a while! On my car, the rear shocks bottom bushing don't look pretty good but there is no endplay even with 225000km. They are the originals ones. The rear and front shock, rear brakes, water pump, master cylinder, transmission and some other parts look to be realy reliable on this car.

But are you realy sure that your rear shock bushing are worn?

To answer, what I did was with car on jack stands, I put jack under the suspension and raised it. I could move the top bushing about 1/4" with no affect on car. I am going to remove the shocks today and have a better look. Edited by Graham

I have two original shocks with only ~20K on them since I switched to H&R cup kit. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and we could work something out.Kerry

To answer, what I did was with car on jack stands, I put jack under the suspension and raised it. I could move the top bushing about 1/4" with no affect on car. I am going to remove the shocks today and have a better look.

Ok. If you remove your shock, please take some pictures of the worn bushing.

Rear lower shock bushes on my Renault Kangoo were totally worn out causing loud knocks. I made new bushes out of rubberi cut from an old tractor tyre using a hole saw on a drill. Turned the rubber to size on my lathe. These DIY bushes are still fine after two years in service. The rubber is reinforced with chord so probably more wear resistant than the original bushes.

I have two original shocks with only ~20K on them since I switched to H&R cup kit. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and we could work something out.

Kerry

DARN Kerry - I should have waited longer. I ordered a set of new shocks at 4pm today :( . Maybe I could cancel? I will pm you.

Dieselkiki, It's hard to get a good picture of the old bushings. The white center bushing is OK, but the rubber had deteriorated and on the worst one, I can see daylight between the shock ring and the rubber. Also, when I compress the shocks, I can do it with one finger. Not sure how they should be but it seems to me they would bottom out easily.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

DARN Kerry - I should have waited longer. I ordered a set of new shocks at 4pm today :( . Maybe I could cancel? I will pm you.

Dieselkiki, It's hard to get a good picture of the old bushings. The white center bushing is OK, but the rubber had deteriorated and on the worst one, I can see daylight between the shock ring and the rubber. Also, when I compress the shocks, I can do it with one finger. Not sure how they should be but it seems to me they would bottom out easily.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PM'd you about my shocks. Essex (Bilstein Canada) can get you them as well... just get them a part number. Their Bilstein kit is $895 for the 450 but needs to be ordered.

HTH

Kerry

PM'd you about my shocks. Essex (Bilstein Canada) can get you them as well... just get them a part number.

I asked them but their reply said they only had shocks for 2007 and on. Hard to believe, but that is what they said. Dealer wanted $133 each and Germanparts.ca $105.

Graham,

As expected, your shocks and bushings are still good I believe. I took a look at mine this evening to compared with yours and it's look similar. The uper bushing has a different shape than the lower one. The upper bushing have 2 holes (up and down side) and it built like that. My english vocabulary is too bad to explain with precision but some pictures will help to explain. I hope so...

Ok, here is some pictures I took this evening on my own smart. As you can see, the upper bushing look offset of the bolt. But it's normal because the coil spring exerts a force against shock who retain the "dedion" suspension tubing to the limit of the shock stroke. Am'I clear? Hmm... too sad that my english sucks! So, take a look at this.

Posted Image

Then here you can see the holes in the upper bushing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And I should want to ask me: "How do you know that these holes in the upper bushing are built like this?" I would answer: "Because there's the same hole in a new shock Graham!" :P

Here is a brand new rear shock abrober.

Posted Image

Posted Image

But the lower bushing don't have any hole inside. As seen on my car previously!

Posted Image

So, you can replace your rear shock absorber but it will be kind of useless. Your shock are still good for a while but... you're the boss Graham! I even hope that I will avoid to other to waste some hard to earn money! ;)

Edited by dieselkiki

dieselkiki,

Thanks very much! That is a very good and clear post! I can see exactly what you mean about the upper bushing and why it would not stay centered. I am going to have another look at mine, but I think they may be OK. Just a little ragged on edges.

One question: How hard should it be to compress the shocks? I can push mine in quite easily. They stay compressed for a short while and then retract. Here is video (that I will delete before long because of size)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54783344/MVI_1938.AVI

PS: I used to live in Montreal, but had to look up where Saint Ours is!

Edited by Graham

Graham,I just looked at your video, and checked my close to new rear shocks I just got ( and haven't installed yet ) looks like they are about as stiff as yours, I could compress them easily as well so I think yours are probably fine.

Hey,On your video... I'd say there's nothing wrong with those. They don't take much to compress (especially using body weight) and yours are retracting smoothly. If they were fully blown they wouldn't have pressure to retract. Throw them back on and call it a day.I gave Essex Distributing the Bilstein part number for the kit (B14 PSS suspension) and they found it for me. I was also told 2007+ only as well, but I think it was only since they don't have the PN and didn't want to do the leg work to find it. I always give my local MB a PN too since they always want to sell a 'kit'. Like the whole luggage cover to get new rubber ends... that seems reasonable ;) (sorry for the off topic)GL

Thanks everyone, especially diesekiki for alerting me and confirming my shocks are likely OK. (I will now have to try and cancel my order!)I cleaned up the shocks, got rid of the little edge of ragged rubber (dealer had told me bushings were "torn"??). It's interesting how they have that weak bushing section top & bottom of the upper bushing. I read somewhere that that may be to dampen out minor bumps or vibration before the shock itself takes over. But maybe it also allows for change in alignment of shock as suspension moves.

You're welcom Graham! We are here to help each other as possible.Too often some peoples come home then saying me that they need to replace their clutch, rear brakes, glowplugs, motor mount, or other parts as your shock but the parts are still in good running conditions!! I refuse to replaced parts who's still in good condition! Waste of good parts = waste of money = waste of natural ressources. I'm happy to read that you'll try to cancel your order. You know guys, when we work on our cars, we have an important advantage than we don't have when we go to the dealer. We can inspect and choose to replace or not the parts of our cars. So, don't be a parts changer as some dealer and make a good inspection before replacing any parts on your car. It's good for your wallet and good for environment. P.S.: Graham, Saint-Ours is about 45min east of Mtl. It's in the middle between Mont-Saint-Hilaire and Sorel when you drive on the chemin des patriotes! Pretty little village! Next to Saint-Denis-sur-Richelieu. ;)

Edited by dieselkiki

You know guys, when we work on our cars, we have an important advantage than we don't have when we go to the dealer. We can inspect and choose to replace or not the parts of our cars.

That is so true. Before replacing the shocks, I took the time to clean up and rust protect the undercarriage where the paint had come off. It now looks so much better and will keep rust at bay.

Graham, Saint-Ours is about 45min east of Mtl. It's in the middle between Mont-Saint-Hilaire and Sorel when you drive on the chemin des patriotes! Pretty little village! Next to Saint-Denis-sur-Richelieu. ;)

I guess main route to Quebec City on South shore bypasses that area so we always (unfortunately) missed it.

That is so true. Before replacing the shocks, I took the time to clean up and rust protect the undercarriage where the paint had come off. It now looks so much better and will keep rust at bay.

Believe me, no dealers should took the time as you to rustproofing your undercarriage!! They don't have any advantage to get by doing this! The car will last longer and you will not buy another car soon by this way. :rolleyes:

I guess main route to Quebec City on South shore bypasses that area so we always (unfortunately) missed it.

Yeap! Almost! You take the 20 transcanadian highway in direction of Québec city then take exit 113 Mont-Saint-Hilaire (1/2h from Mtl. Turn right on ch. des patriote and drive 20 min then turn in my driveway! :P Let me know if you pass by! We will take a bear around a shock absorber! :P

New Bilstein or Sachs branded Bilstein shocks only cost £50 for a pair.