Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
strawboss

Diesel Cruze Record?

32 posts in this topic

No spare tire is becoming more and more common. The smart was a leader in this trend ;)New Benzes have a new type of run flat tire that provides a smoother ride. (Stiff sidewalls on earlier runflats resulted in hard ride and not so good handling). Plus they provide a kit something like the one in the smart. Or so I am told. We have a 2014 GLK250 on order and it won't have a spare.

Yes, some trend ;) The smart was the first car I owned with no spare but a 12 volt pump and a can of "slime".It didn't take long and my very first blowout was in the dead of winter in the fortwo with my dog at night..... and well I will spare you the details....the smart had a "real spare" toot sweet!!I will never drive another vehicle with that setup again....

...a Mercedes C-Class diesel (coming soon) is about same size car, but it will likely cost close to $50k with similar equipment. For those who really love diesels, that makes the Cruze and Jetta worth looking at. But they ain't Mercedes!

If the C 250 CDI costs $50 K they won't sell many. The E 250 CDI in the USA costs about $52K including delivery fees that in Canada are $2000.Having experienced new Mercedes ownership between 2002 and the present, I wonder if VW - or even Chevrolet - could be any worse.

My understanding re the engines that they used the Italian engine from 2008 to 2011 then in 2012 switched to an engine of the same size made by GM Korea.Roy

If the C 250 CDI costs $50 K they won't sell many. The E 250 CDI in the USA costs about $52K including delivery fees that in Canada are $2000.

Having experienced new Mercedes ownership between 2002 and the present, I wonder if VW - or even Chevrolet - could be any worse.

Current c-class gasser with 4-matic has msrp of about $40k. Add delivery and a few options, and it could be in mid 40s. Diesel GLK is actually slightly less than gasser, so C-Class may be about the same. My brother owns an E250 Bluetec (in another part of the world). Loves it. I could not find a price for one on MBUSA site. Best I saw, was a guess at $55k.

Just to show how experiences differ - We bought the GLK, just because of the good service we have had from our local dealer and MB Canada. Both have treated us well with goodwill service well after warranties ran out. If it hadn't been for that, we would probably be getting an Outback.

Edited by Graham

The dealer is great out here, too, so there is no difference there. Which is probably the only reason why I would consider buying another M-B!Automotive News had an article on the E 250 CDI today in which the $52K U.S. price including delivery was mentioned.

The dealer is great out here, too, so there is no difference there. Which is probably the only reason why I would consider buying another M-B!Automotive News had an article on the E 250 CDI today in which the $52K U.S. price including delivery was mentioned.

The CLA looks interesting. Same price range as the B-class. But of course a different type of car. My son has a Mazda 3 hatchback. Our E-class has done over 200k km, so will eventually need replacement. Maybe by then the CLA and Mazda will have diesels.

The CLA looks OK but it's going to be "short people only" inside, so I'd more likely be looking at a B Class or a W205 diesel.