Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
strawboss

Diesel Cruze Record?

32 posts in this topic

Keith smoked that number in his 450 back in 2005...however it is a good result for a car the size of the Chevrolet.

Not bad for the size of the car. I have read that the Cruze uses a GM diesel engine from Germany. Would that be an Opal diesel, perhaps? If so, it's an excellent engine. Unfortunately, Canada will add all it's pollution stuff and probably ruin it. But, when the Smart packs it in, I may consider it.

"Unfortunately, Canada will add all it's pollution stuff and probably ruin it."I strongly disagree with this statement. Regulations by Environment Canada and Transport Canada have forced the car manufacturers to reduce the components of pollution by a tremendous amount during my driving lifetime. I am very much in favour of this. You always have the option of not buying the car if you don't like how it performs.

The Cruze has already had 8 separate safety recalls, I know I would not buy one, regardless of the drivetrain. For the money you might as well have a VW or a Mazda.

European emission standards are very close to ours and in the next year or so will be basically the same, the new diesels being put out in Europe basically use the same emissions tech now, it is just tuned to either reduce Nox or whatever for the different markets. both use urea and other methods to reduce emissions as I said at this point basically just tuned for the slight differences in the requirements.

The Cruze has already had 8 separate safety recalls, I know I would not buy one, regardless of the drivetrain. For the money you might as well have a VW or a Mazda.

But none since 2012, maybe they have addressed those problems? I was waiting on the Mazda Skyactiv diesel but it looks like gas only for NA in 2014. There was talk of this engine meeting emission standards with no DEF but it looks like the EU Mazda's have it (DEF), so there goes that dream out the window.Drat.

Making diesels clean enough for Europe is hard enough under EU-5; for North America it is even more complicated and potentially trouble-prone. But gasoline powered cars are nearly as complicated these days - such is the price of lowering emissions of everything, including carbon dioxide.

Yes but aren't most of the new diesels offered in Europe meeting EU-6 which is very similar to the standards here ( still slight more NOX allowed but less of something else)? And yes gas engines are getting just as much emission stuff on them as well ( potentially even particle filters for direct injection engines).

I actually like the Cruze and would of bought one if I didn't buy my 08 Chrysler 300 (18.5mpg) a couple months prior to the gas Cruze's arrival in 09, still kicking myself in the butt for that. And now since my 300 is on the market the Diesel Cruze is looking as an good alternative. Right now going out with four people I have to take the truck, which makes it interesting to park. post-12052-1378051901_thumb.jpg

Edited by dmoonen

Too bad Transport Canada wouldn't just say if EU6 is good enough for the Europeans, then it is good enough for us. Go with both systems. NA and EU.My nickel's worthRoy

I agree Roy, I believe some of the free trade negotiations going one are supposed to be looking into that, I know it was mentioned before and that the US was looking into it too, though I would assume they would be trying to come up with some sort of compromise between the two ( which of course would take longer). Our government doesn't have the guts to not use the US regulations and go with eu-6 or whatever it's "UN standard" equivalent is. I do think that emission and safety standards should be unified between the " first world" countries , and therefore Allow consumers a potentially wider choice of automobiles.

Transport Canada accepts E-certification on headlamps and always has, so there is a precedent. The rhetorical question is: which manufacturer would send Canada alone a diesel car of any type?

Well my simplistic view is if we allow the European auto industry to ship EU6 cars here then the European auto industry would treat us like any other EU country and they would find a market for their cars here just like Volkswagen and Mercedes has.Roy

Edited by yellow bumble bee

I understand it is NOT a GM sourced engine, but VM Motori out of Italy. GM owns a share in the company as does Chrysler/Fiat which will use a V6 in the Ram and Grand Cherokee from them. They want $25000 for a diesel Cruse in Ontario, simply rediculous! It will be so worthless in a couple of years because it is just a Cruse which is available for $15k and the market will be flooded with all the rental returns and leases shortly only to see the values drop farther. I would not be comfortable in one for the long run, much prefer a VW for 10-15 years of use. I think the Cruse might be an orphan shortly being the first attempt at this market and priced as it is so high. We'll see if the dealers care to embrace working on them soon.

Is the diesel Cruze optioned up like it is in the Staes? If so considering what a base VW diesel is priced it may not be that bad in terms of value, but its longevity remains to be seen. As for its resale in some ways it doesn't seem to have hurt the resale value of the VWs compared to their gas powered equivalents, so isn't it hard to say what will actually happen to the value of the diesel Cruze as long as it holds up in terms of reliability and longevity that is?

I met a guy to the fuel pump today who oned a diesel chevy cruise and he said to me that for the 3th tank he fill up, the average of fuel consumption is 9L/100km with 1/2 city and 1/2 highway. It's far worst than a gas one!!! The guy didn't seems to be happy of his choice so far. 9L/100km, it's a very bad fuel consumption for a little diesel sedan. :(

All the reports I have seen at least match the American EPA milage, I have to question what that guy was doing to get that bad milage ( or what is wrong with his car).

I realy don't know. It was automatic transmission. Could it be the reason? The guy didn't seem to drive as a crazy driver when he leave the gas station. I hope that it's somethings wrong with the engine programing or something similar. Don't know. It's the first diesel cruize owner I met so far... :unsure:

I have sat in one so far with 400kms, dash was reporting 8.5L/km at 40km/h average. Rural dealership. The city rating is terrible, only the highway rating is good. I imagine it is a hog on fuel in town situations, engine has a nice sound to it but really loud/rattly vs a new Mercedes or VW. Sounds industrial/agricultural! I did not get to drive it, it was already sold on dealer trade and no other stock. They come well optioned but not loaded, no sunroof, foglights, crappy headlights (no bi-xenon possibilities). I did not see the build sheet didn't want to waste more time. The saleman knew zero about the car, I mean nothing. No idea where the engine was from or what brand, no idea on longevity or characteristics of it. Didn't care. They have oil pan heaters only no coolant heater. Tons of sensors on the exhaust, I counted 4 that I could see- oxygen sensor, multiple heat sensors. Really overdone, has urea injection tank in trunk no spare tire! I thought it was a clean engine, not so. $25000 plus options and delivery, came to just under $30000 out the door. Crazy, its just a Cruze! You could buy a base one for under $20000, that pays for more gas then you would ever save in 10-15 years driving the diesel.

has urea injection tank in trunk no spare tire!

I missed this in the specs the first time around. The VW looks better and better.

No spare tire is becoming more and more common. The smart was a leader in this trend ;)New Benzes have a new type of run flat tire that provides a smoother ride. (Stiff sidewalls on earlier runflats resulted in hard ride and not so good handling). Plus they provide a kit something like the one in the smart. Or so I am told. We have a 2014 GLK250 on order and it won't have a spare.Regarding the diesel Cruze costing $25k. A Jetta TDI with automatic is about $27k. I ran the diesel Cruze on GMs site and it came out to almost the same price. Better warranty on VW, I think. By comparison, a Mercedes C-Class diesel (coming soon) is about same size car, but it will likely cost close to $50k with similar equipment. For those who really love diesels, that makes the Cruze and Jetta worth looking at. But they ain't Mercedes!