Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John & Angela

Scan Gauge Advice. Which One Etc.

11 posts in this topic

Hi all. I would like advice and opinions on what I should buy in the way of a scan gauge to meet these goals. * I would like it to be portable enough to switch between vehicles. Specifically a smart car and a C class motorhome. * For the Class C motorhome (E350 Ford Chassis) I would like to be able to watch transmission temperature and engine coolant temperature as well as be able to have it help me drive in an economical manner. * For the smart car economy and, temperature, trip data etc. Is it as simple as plugging into a port or does other stuff have to be done? Can secondary mounting kits be purchased etc? How about a good purchase source in Canada. Thanks in advance for all your info. John and Angela

Edited by John & Angela

Is the Ford a diesel? If not, it might be worth changing to a Sprinter-based camper (assuming it can tow a smart) for achieving better fuel consumption.ScanGauges are cheaper in the USA. You would need a both a non-CAN connector (for your cdis) and a CAN connector for the RV. Linear Logic offers the smart cdi-specific cable FOC. Other companies like UltraGauge etc may not and could cause problems with your cdis.

Is the Ford a diesel? If not, it might be worth changing to a Sprinter-based camper (assuming it can tow a smart) for achieving better fuel consumption.

ScanGauges are cheaper in the USA. You would need a both a non-CAN connector (for your cdis) and a CAN connector for the RV. Linear Logic offers the smart cdi-specific cable FOC. Other companies like UltraGauge etc may not and could cause problems with your cdis.

Hi Mike. The class C is the one we use for Mexico and Latin America in General. We have had it for about 6 years but have made some mods that make me want to watch transmission and engine temp a bit. (Partial blockage of the radiator). It is a V10.

Are the two connectors included with the unit? Which model of scan gauge. I assume scan gauge II.

This is the little motorhome. We moved the spare tire to the front to reduce the rear axle weight and shift some to the front. Our mechanic says it is done all the time but I am being cautious. This also allows for a bike rack on the back.

I would also like a better pulse on how I am driving to try and improve my mileage. This little motorhome has seen 27 Mexican States in the last 6 years as well as Belize.

Posted Image

Thanks in advance.

Edited by John & Angela

ScanGauge II, yes.A V-10 gasser? Ouch! That rear overhang is monstrous, it is longer than the camper portion that is within the wheelbase. Hmmm...A LWB Sprinter would be about the same size, no? And it would probably deliver no more than 12-14 L/100 km, fully laden.If you order the ScanGauge from whomever, it only comes with a CAN cable. Write an email to Linear Logic and state that you have a smart cdi and they will mail (for free) a non-CAN cable to you.

ScanGauge II, yes.A V-10 gasser? Ouch! That rear overhang is monstrous, it is longer than the camper portion that is within the wheelbase. Hmmm...A LWB Sprinter would be about the same size, no? And it would probably deliver no more than 12-14 L/100 km, fully laden.If you order the ScanGauge from whomever, it only comes with a CAN cable. Write an email to Linear Logic and state that you have a smart cdi and they will mail (for free) a non-CAN cable to you.

Yep. It is a loooong overhang. It's fine for what we need. I would love a Mercedes chassis but the wallet says no. This one turns around on a dime though. Mileage is so so. Very liveable floor plan for long periods and good for getting around the historical cities. Thanks for the info on the scan gauge.

Just throwing it out there... have you tried one of those ELM327 bluetooth OBD readers?

If you've got a smartphone, this little tool can be very useful and cost much less than a scangage.

I bought one that's about $16 and then paid $5 for the Torque Pro app.

It can read tons of parameters...including tranny temp, oil temp, fuel consumption, MAF, boost pressure, etc. The best feature is GPS plotting and scatter plots...oh, it can read and clear codes too, also can do emissions check.

Have a look at the video here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...ooth+obd+reader

I was thinking about buying a scan gage until I saw this...now I become baffled how come scan gage costs so much.

Let me know if want to knowmore about it...I should be paid a commission for this LOL.

cdis are not proper OBDII so there is a risk in using a CAN cable on one of them. For the 451 it's not a problem.

cdis are not proper OBDII so there is a risk in using a CAN cable on one of them. For the 451 it's not a problem.

Interesting... I never knew that. What would happen if one plugs a reader into the port?

Odometer jumping forward is the most feared but having the check engine light and abs light are the most common. I had my odometer jump almost 7,000km and my dealership fixed it only because I record my mileage daily for work and could prove it jumped.

Edited by dmoonen

If you acquire the special NON-CAN cable, then you no longer have these worrries in a CDI. There were some other interestings tools, one was a Traction Control Disabler by MDC, whih plugged into the OBD-II socket, and could do certain things...... All this said... for the RV - if it is truly an OBD-II equipped RV, then you could get a SG-II from me with a second cable, and you'd be set. Otherwise, if the RV is a heavy duty diesel protocol, then you need a ScanGauge D for it. They do not mix and match.The ScanGauge E at 89.99 CAD is a money loser for me now after Paypal at 2.9% and postage and 7.5% US exchange - and when the last 7 I have are gone, I will no longer carry them. Buy a Chinese made knock-off if you prefer. But I'm not carrying the low budget item which really just cannibalizes SG-II sales... I'd just as soon see the person get the Chinese knock-off and have someone else to deal with, then maybe they'd be a SG-II customer in the future. Who knows. The SG II comes with a three year warranty, and are the most reliable unit out there. They still sell - and I will carry them until postage which keeps going up makes it a money loser as well..... but do not expect $149.99 CAD to stay around too much longer..... that's already less than $10 away from being a money loser after all costs.....

I bought a ScanGauge E from smartzuuk last year for our Sprinter based motorhome. Great tool! The user manuals with all the parameters monitored are on the ScanGauge website. I believe that it says that transmission temperature monitoring may not be available on all vehicles. You would have to check.