turbomar

Egr Emulator

101 posts in this topic

This is what I am using,works great.No need for the additional plug part some are buying for there emulators.Just push the wire ends which are thickened up with solder into the original plugand wrap with electrical tape (2" wide roll works best) to seal.Arrived in less than a week from Poland. Edited by 6strings

Just push the wire ends which are thickened up with solder into the original

Now there's the little trick I hadn't considered. I've been looking around trying to find spade connectors small enough without luck. I'll be giving this a shot and installing mine some time soon, assuming I can get this to work.

+1 I had them put into three of mine with the resonator pipe from CT. Bill helped me out with me making mine before, as you see below you might want to roll a bead or expand the pipe to create a ridge so the pipe doesn't come off.

Found the original email from Bill from a while ago still sad that he's gone, he was the gyro of EGR deleting.

"I suggest you take the trouble to roll a bead on the metal straight pipe to keep it from popping off. Wish I'd done that! Here's a picture of me in a Canadian Tire parking lot, early in the morning and 700km from home, doing a repair because my pipe popped! I recomend doing this http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=26335"

post-12052-1378955515_thumb.jpg

I actually copied stickman007 method for expanding the pipe! (Thanks? a bit delayed I know)

Edited by dmoonen

There's a suggestion HERE about a resonator pipe from Canadian Tire that does the job, after adding a bead.

Thanks Max! I bought the hardware today and might find time to do it this weekend

Thanks Max! I bought the hardware today and might find time to do it this weekend

If you end up making the bead roller, I'd like to borrow it. EGR delete is rising up my list of "Things I'd like to do" alarmingly quickly!

If you end up making the bead roller, I'd like to borrow it. EGR delete is rising up my list of "Things I'd like to do" alarmingly quickly!

I'll make a pipe for you while I'm at it. Will let you know when it's done

I'll be a couple weeks before I receive my emulator and substitute my EGR valve for that piece of pipe Max. I just don't know what the length of the pipe should be. I can give you the pipe and tool now if you can't wait 2 weeks

Edited by turbomar

My EGR cheater arrived from Poland this morning. Not yet fitted. Intend to make my own plug.

I'll be a couple weeks before I receive my emulator and substitute my EGR valve for that piece of pipe Max. I just don't know what the length of the pipe should be. I can give you the pipe and tool now if you can't wait 2 weeks

I'm not that desperate to replace the EGR just yet. It'll be a while yet before I have the time to actually replace it anyway.

My EGR cheater arrived from Poland this morning. Not yet fitted. Intend to make my own plug.

I'd love to see what you are able to come up with for the plug! Keep us in the loop.And I installed my emulator the other day. Boy, there was a much greater performance/efficiency difference with it installed than I expected. (The performance difference may not be as extreme as I seem to think it is, but there definitely is one. The change in fuel economy is definitely real though. I got 3.0 L/100km on my commute this morning when I typically get 3.7ish)

Don't remember exactly off the top of my head, but ~14cm...The flared side connects to the top (intake hose)Good luck, take lots of pics!Any pictures on how you guys hide your emulator? I just let mine dangle on the harness :( Edited by stickman007

I have an extra two of Stickman's emulators here in Vancouver, available for pickup. No profit wanted, $30 each, shipping can be arranged. No plug, for direct splicing in or you can get creative.

Here's how I secured my emulator in the engine compartment:post-4936-1379724011_thumb.jpgI printed a small ABS box to contain the pcb, and filled it with epoxy just to be sure. I just put a loop of tape around the wiring there, and it seems to be holding well. Also, the technique mentioned above of thickening the wire to insert it into the plug works fairly well, but I wrapped a bit of extra wire on the end just to fatten them up a bit more. After that, secure with an excessive amount of tape, and it seems to hold!

I did two things:1. With the EGR still in place with a cheater installed I just zipp tied it to the side of the EGR housing2.With the EGR Removed theres a couple bolts now available, I attached a eye hook took where the bolt was and zip tied it there in placeWith the grey smart I think I did like what Max did and zip tied it to the nearest pipes/wires.

Edited by dmoonen

I'm not that desperate to replace the EGR just yet. It'll be a while yet before I have the time to actually replace it anyway.

I made 2 Intercooler to Intake pipes today. I'm in Kanata tomorrow Max if you want to take delivery.Thanks Stickman007 for the measurements and tool idea. I bought the plyers at Dollarama for $2. The pipe on the right is spray painted with silver caliper paint I had left

post-13038-1379796708_thumb.jpg

post-13038-1379796731_thumb.jpg

post-13038-1379796749_thumb.jpg

Edited by turbomar

Thanks! I wished that I could claim the plier beader idea, but I got it from another forum while researching for a tool. The pipe idea came from Bilgladstone.You pipe looks really nice! much nicer than the one that I made. Excellent Job! Nice pics!

Edited by stickman007

Wow, yeah, that turned out really nicely. I'm honestly kind of surprised that they had vice grips at Dollarama, but you never know what you'll find there!And yes, I'd love to grab one tomorrow. PM me and we can talk where and when.

Yes, I give credit to Bilgladstone as well. This tool is a must for any fabricator. Once I saw what it could do, I had to have one. Forums are the best for money saving advise and idea sharing, not mentioning meeting great pplPM sent, see you later Max

Edited by turbomar