Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FlossyTheSmart

Evilution Becomes A Pay Site

16 posts in this topic

Just had a look at Evilution, and along with a redesign, it seems that he has set it up as a pay per year site. I didn't poke around to see what is now locked, but I thought it was interesting.Thoughts?

I always knew I should have made a donation, I always hate it when Karma bites me in the ass..... ;) Oh well £10 a year isn't that bad for all that....

I would pay $15.00 yearly for a site, that unlike ours, is organized and where you can actually find things. Of course, cdi specific info is more abundant here.Our forums have continually sunk - the general discussions forum has become the defacto place to start all threads, even if somewhere else has been designed for them, even if we have covered the topic off a dozen times.But can you fault people? Evilution has an actual website, with intentional design elements. Whereas we are merely a discussion forum with some clunky add-ons that are limited in scope and clunky to use at best.If you want the info easily available at the Evilution site, $15.00 will save you a BUNDLE of time. Or sift through the detritus here. It's a free world for the most part. That is what is exceptional about the way things worked out way back when.

I would pay $15.00 yearly for a site, that unlike ours, is organized and where you can actually find things. Of course, cdi specific info is more abundant here.Our forums have continually sunk - the general discussions forum has become the defacto place to start all threads, even if somewhere else has been designed for them, even if we have covered the topic off a dozen times.But can you fault people? Evilution has an actual website, with intentional design elements. Whereas we are merely a discussion forum with some clunky add-ons that are limited in scope and clunky to use at best.If you want the info easily available at the Evilution site, $15.00 will save you a BUNDLE of time. Or sift through the detritus here. It's a free world for the most part. That is what is exceptional about the way things worked out way back when.

Sifting through that detritus has hit paydirt for me on more than one occasion when it comes to the issues unique to our Cdn 450's!

Wouldn't surprise me, but to be honest I have to agree with smartzuuk, everything is here on the form but it pretty burried and you have to do some digging. It isn't much money specially with the information that the site contains.

Looking now, it doesn't seem like there is much old content that has been paywalled. It is kind of hard to tell though. He seems to be implying the pay portion is to cover new material, but I guess only time will tell. I do find it surprising there isn't a note on the front page. I only realized when I saw the "Log in" option, and wondered what that was about.I would imagine anything that we hit the paywall for should be somewhere around here if you really need it, so it shouldn't be a huge issue.

The obtuse side of this triangle is that some people used to be willing to pay $50 or more for 'smart manuals' on cd off of eBay, most of the info copied from the Evilution site....I have no doubt that with an older smart needing repairs looked into, I would be paying to join and access the well organized info, supplemented by some tedious searches here for cdi specific stuff....It's that, or WIS, which is no small feat to install. Time is money

The problem with Evilution is that you can't trust the info. Full of errors and nothing about the Cdi. I'll happily live without him.

I've not used it either, not that I do a whole lot of work myself.

Have used info from Eviloution many times on both my '05 gas 450 and my '11 gas 451. Always accurate from what I have found.I have donated in the past and just signed up for the pay site - well worth $16 US as far as I am concerned.

The slightly cheesy thing about it all is that some of the content there is contributed by others. Will such volunteer contributions be justifiable into the future, now that the site owner is (arguably) profiting from its redistribution?It's a dilemma we've even faced here, because no-one is charged to use this site and its hideously disorganised content! So far the consensus is that we should not take any contributions from members, even voluntary ones.