smart65

Climate Change

52 posts in this topic

7% more water per ºc rise can be held in the atmosphere.

See attached PDF. A warmer climate spells trouble around the world.

_rain_storms.pdf

Edited by smart65

Good thing temperatures are not really rising.Article

I see no science whatsoever in that opinion thing from the mouthpiece of Harperism. There is an small element well funded and motivated to deny the reality of climate change, who will ignore a thousand data point supporting it and widely publicize a single ambivalent one. Give me a one single peer-reviewed scientist, not funded by a group obviously benefitting by a delay in action and working in their field of expertise who feel climate change is not real and I'll listen very closely. That posted article is disingenuous PR crap!

If there is a basic amount of heat coming from the sun, then with the increase in atmospheric temperature due to the increase in CO2 in the atmosphere there would be slightly less heat reaching the oceans; therefore it is still possible to have increased atmospheric temperature et al (climate change) with a slight drop in ocean temperature.My nickel's worthRoy

According to ice cores we are due for a long-term cold period, potentially an ice age.

Climate change is inevitable, it has been occurring in cycles for the whole history of the Earth. This is well documented and universally accepted. I don't deny that climate change is occurring, but I don't believe it is all caused by humans, and in fact the majority of it is likely occurring anyway without man's help. The evidence shows that we a period of unusually stable climate conditions, so why do we think that when it returns to normal that it's is somehow man's fault.I do believe, that we have polluted the environment and destroyed a number of ecosystems around the world, with one of the most devastating disasters (and completely intentional) here at home - the oil sands.There is quite a bit of evidence that supports that global warming has ceased for almost 10 years now. I don't think it's false, but the data may need to be sliced and diced a little more to truly represent it.According to all historical data from various methods that map the Earth's temperature for the last 400,000 years, global warming (and cooling) is a normal and expected cycle, to which we have reached a predictable peak - I don't think anyone disputes that - please send me some info to the contrary if you have some. If we don't start seeing a rapid cooling trend within the next 50 years, then I would consider that this cycle has been disrupted.Further comments?

The real reason is that god hates farmers, and anybody from Ontario or the east coast of the US.Seems everybody loves Newfoundlanders except god. Don't know why.

I have previously done some analysis of historical weather for Mark Madryga. Comparing the average temps from several key weather stations in Canada from the seventies versus the 2000's....And uh, yeah, the TEN year averages (with 20 years in between both sets) showed the 2000's at more than 2 celcius higherWhat was the question again? Will smart be able to ship cars through the arctic to all the new coastal cities that will open up along the BC and Alaskan coastlines when the 49th parallel gets a wee bit too hot for comfort?

'Spect the main Euro-America seaport will be Inuvik, and infrastructure for Churchill will be given priority renewal. The BC coast will be too damn far away.

It's in the high thirties with massive humidity right now in Alsace! ugh.

Churchill it could be, although I think Halifax would still ultimately be closer. Inuvik is on an island... not very helpful for unloading to train to the rest of Canada!

Well, I've been an avid outdoor enthusiast for many years. In particular I recall a visit to Wedge Lake more than 30 years years ago. A massive glacier filled the valley. Now it is but a shrunken remnant. I bring this one up because a neat photo record of it over the years was made in a thread at Clubtread.

Be sure to look at the depth and breadth of the ice, not just where the tongue ends. There is an awful lot of ice gone in not many years. I haven't seen with my own eyes proof that we are causing it though I tend to believe the overwhelming consensus view of real climate scientists, but that there is far less Wedge Glacier now than when I first climbed that trail. I have seen. With my own eyes. Before a massive glacier filling the valley and reaching the lake, now far less.

Manmade or natural cycle, stoppable or inevitable, overall good or bad I don't know, but that it is happening I don't doubt. Plenty of people quite willing to be paid to promote another view, but nonetheless the glacier at Wedgemount has shrank by 75% of its volume since I first saw it. One small snapshot of a big picture I know, but I swear to you the photos in the link above are real. I've been there then and now.

Edited by Alex

BC is going to lose a large amount of it's glacial inventory. BC has 17,000 of the world's 200,000 glaciers.

One news source (certainly not the only one):

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-colu...cerns-1.2646742

Academic source with other links:

http://www.unbc.ca/releases/climate-change-and-bcs-glaciers

The US portions of Glacier National Park are expected to lose all glaciers by 2030.

What gets me is that the ones denying it is happening at all are used to bolster the denialist cause just as much as the ones saying it's real, but not our fault. Or the ones saying it's real and our fault but those bad consequences? Totally scary campfire stories, it'll be just fine.It's real. We won't be buying lowbank waterfront to retire to.

news

n(y)o͞oz/

noun

newly received or noteworthy information, especially about recent or important events.

"I've got some good news for you"

a broadcast or published report of news.

plural noun: the news

"he was back in the news again"

synonyms: report, announcement, story, account

==============

o·pin·ion

əˈpinyən/

noun

a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

"I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance"

synonyms: belief, judgment, thought(s), (way of) thinking, mind, (point of) view, viewpoint, outlook, attitude, stance, position, perspective, persuasion, standpoint;

the beliefs or views of a large number or majority of people about a particular thing.

"the changing climate of opinion"

an estimation of the quality or worth of someone or something.

"I had a higher opinion of myself than I deserved"

Uh, any opinions by a creationist professor of economics about any science in which he has zero formal academic background, by a far-right-wing nut job who has self-published a series of "reports" denying there is any anthropomorphic global climate change... should be taken with a metric ton of salt.

Lorne Gunter <<shudder>>. Alberta Reports Magazine! Boo yeah!

I participated in a roundtable on GHG for the IPCC. Its good for people to change their habits, but there are always 3 sides to every story. People just focus on 2 of them. Thats the big problem............

Does anyone really believe that crap?

In addition to Francesco's excellent points as to the credibility of the author, did anyone notice where the original McKitrick study was published?

Scientific Research Publishing has been included in a list of questionable open access publishers, according to Jeffrey Beall's criteria. Beall states that "This publisher exists for two reasons. First, it exists to exploit the author-pays Open Access model to generate revenue, and second, it serves as an easy place for foreign (chiefly Chinese) authors to publish overseas and increase their academic status." He acknowledges that its fees are relatively low, describing this as "a strategy that increases article submissions," and that "it has attracted some quality article submissions. Nevertheless, it is really a vanity press."

That's wikipedia.

So, a creationist professor of economics writing a indecipherably dense numbing piece of statistical equations, as published in a chinese based vanity press, as proselytized by some by-the-word hack in the mouth-breathers rag, is credible as a source of scientific knowledge? Really?

" cymbal-crashing propaganda" and " hysterical, the-skies-are-on-fire predictions of environmental apocalypse ". No bias there!

Only a tool or a fool would think such crap worthy of reading.

1 person likes this

Unfortunately today, truth is little more than that which one wants to believe. "Truth" is marketed by lobbyists, advocacy groups, and sales teams to satisfy their own agendas regardless of is resemblance to reality.

And as an additional note, personally, I don't believe anyone's religious beliefs should be used to discredit them as a scientist. Their work should be scrutinized solely on its scientific merit. Not that this guy has any.

1 person likes this