smart65

Climate Change

52 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I thought that this thread should be revived after reading of the unprecedented rainfalls in Texas, the mid-west USA and elsewhere. The report in the PDF that I attached to my original post described a sobering scenario, as follows:

Sandford's most graphic analysis came when he asked his radio audience to imagine the unimaginable
- "huge rivers, great courses of water vapour aloft that can carry between seven and 15 times the daily
flow of the Mississippi River" - now flowing throug the skies above our planet.

Sounds like a pretty good explanation for what's happening. It's also an opportune time to revisit the subject, given an impending federall election.

Edited by smart65
1 person likes this

ESPECIALLY given Harper's anti-science, anti-environment policies. And he's dodging his opponents by declining to participate in the major broadcast debate, so he can't be called out on the carpet in front of Canadians.

I can only hope that the current government's days are numbered.

1 person likes this

Agreed. Harper plays dirty politics. We need a significant overhaul of our political system.

Good thing temperatures are not really rising. Article

I see no science whatsoever in that opinion thing from the mouthpiece of Harperism. There is an small element well funded and motivated to deny the reality of climate change, who will ignore a thousand data point supporting it and widely publicize a single ambivalent one. Give me a one single peer-reviewed scientist, not funded by a group obviously benefitting by a delay in action and working in their field of expertise who feel climate change is not real and I'll listen very closely. That posted article is disingenuous PR crap!

Where were you when a couple of years ago or so in England that showed that the Global warming BS hoax was exposed, big time? Check out Dr.Tim Hall

I thought that this thread should be revived after reading of the unprecedented rainfalls in Texas, the mid-west USA and elsewhere. The report in the PDF that I attached to my original post described a sobering scenario, as follows:

Sandford's most graphic analysis came when he asked his radio audience to imagine the unimaginable

- "huge rivers, great courses of water vapour aloft that can carry between seven and 15 times the daily

Sounds like a pretty good explanation for what's happening. It's also an opportune time to revisit the subject, given an impending federall election.

Where are all the Hurricanes that were supposed to happen????

With all this supposed Global warming, how come it's still cold a shit where I live?????

Climate change is inevitable, it has been occurring in cycles for the whole history of the Earth. This is well documented and universally accepted. I don't deny that climate change is occurring, but I don't believe it is all caused by humans, and in fact the majority of it is likely occurring anyway without man's help. The evidence shows that we a period of unusually stable climate conditions, so why do we think that when it returns to normal that it's is somehow man's fault.I do believe, that we have polluted the environment and destroyed a number of ecosystems around the world, with one of the most devastating disasters (and completely intentional) here at home - the oil sands.There is quite a bit of evidence that supports that global warming has ceased for almost 10 years now. I don't think it's false, but the data may need to be sliced and diced a little more to truly represent it.According to all historical data from various methods that map the Earth's temperature for the last 400,000 years, global warming (and cooling) is a normal and expected cycle, to which we have reached a predictable peak - I don't think anyone disputes that - please send me some info to the contrary if you have some. If we don't start seeing a rapid cooling trend within the next 50 years, then I would consider that this cycle has been disrupted.Further comments?

Sir, I agree with everything you've said, except for the little add on about the OIL SANDS in Alberta......I personally, with my wife of 48 years and counting, have been up there visiting friends who worked for Syncrude and I've toured the site more than once. As far as I'm concerned they are cleaning the oil out of the sand and replacing the overburden (Dirt) and planting grass and trees, so that IF you ever go up there and take a tour yourself, you will see Bison grazing happily on the replaced grass.....put there by "rich" first nations businesess.

Sudbury,ON.,Asbestos Que and many other gold mines in Ontario don't hold a candle to what we are doing in the secound biggest oil reserve in the world.......

I'm getting really irritated by jealous people jumping on our Oil Sands and pipelines when they are creating lots of work for many businesses and workers from all across Canada, along with helping to prop up the have not Provinces.

Hey, and guess what, they don't have anybody on MINIMUM wage in Fort McMurray. :noway:

Hey Smart65 if you beleive that we puny humans are responsible for this, you'd be a well loved Obama deciple and get a green card ASAP. Obama is pushing the global warming BS so that his Cap and Trade exchange in Chicago ( along with other wealthy individuals ) can start making the big bucks......Do some research ( Check out George Soros also ) become informed.................... :masked:

Some will be going, this member is violating Forum rules.

Good thing temperatures are not really rising. Article

I see no science whatsoever in that opinion thing from the mouthpiece of Harperism. There is an small element well funded and motivated to deny the reality of climate change, who will ignore a thousand data point supporting it and widely publicize a single ambivalent one. Give me a one single peer-reviewed scientist, not funded by a group obviously benefitting by a delay in action and working in their field of expertise who feel climate change is not real and I'll listen very closely. That posted article is disingenuous PR crap!

Hey Alec try Dr.Tim Ball a real climatologist, unlikie Phd. Susuki a biologist. And the public funded CBC Twits.

And there's a reason you have nine posts in a row?

Whats the matter? You don't like to see any posts by a Conservative supporter? All I see here are anti Harper posts, and Global Warming Histeria. Do some research and you'll see I'm right.

Some will be going, this member is violating Forum rules.

What because I don't agree with Global Warming and Ithe thought of PM Big Tom Mulcair or Assistant Drama teacher Trudeau. :love:

Climate change is inevitable, it has been occurring in cycles for the whole history of the Earth. This is well documented and universally accepted. I don't deny that climate change is occurring, but I don't believe it is all caused by humans, and in fact the majority of it is likely occurring anyway without man's help. The evidence shows that we a period of unusually stable climate conditions, so why do we think that when it returns to normal that it's is somehow man's fault.I do believe, that we have polluted the environment and destroyed a number of ecosystems around the world, with one of the most devastating disasters (and completely intentional) here at home - the oil sands.There is quite a bit of evidence that supports that global warming has ceased for almost 10 years now. I don't think it's false, but the data may need to be sliced and diced a little more to truly represent it.According to all historical data from various methods that map the Earth's temperature for the last 400,000 years, global warming (and cooling) is a normal and expected cycle, to which we have reached a predictable peak - I don't think anyone disputes that - please send me some info to the contrary if you have some. If we don't start seeing a rapid cooling trend within the next 50 years, then I would consider that this cycle has been disrupted.Further comments?

Sir, I agree with everything you've said, except for the little add on about the OIL SANDS in Alberta......I personally, with my wife of 48 years and counting, have been up there visiting friends who worked for Syncrude and I've toured the site more than once. As far as I'm concerned they are cleaning the oil out of the sand and replacing the overburden (Dirt) and planting grass and trees, so that IF you ever go up there and take a tour yourself, you will see Bison grazing happily on the replaced grass.....put there by "rich" first nations businesess.

Sudbury,ON.,Asbestos Que and many other gold mines in Ontario don't hold a candle to what we are doing in the secound biggest oil reserve in the world.......

I'm getting really irritated by jealous people jumping on our Oil Sands and pipelines when they are creating lots of work for many businesses and workers from all across Canada, along with helping to prop up the have not Provinces.

Hey, and guess what, they don't have anybody on MINIMUM wage in Fort McMurray. :noway:

I didn't mean to centre out the oil sands as the only environmental disaster in Canada, the mining in Northern Ontario and Quebec is equally as bad or worse. There are certainly remediation projects underway with the oil sands, unlike the mining operations in Ontario and Quebec, but those efforts are dwarfed by the vastness of the destruction - you can see the devastation from space. The land has become a giant toxic soup. There is no doubt that this has meant a huge economic boom for Alberta, such that anyone can hardly call them a have-not province anymore.

Is climate change real? For sure.  Since the Earth first had an atmosphere it has been a dynamic, constantly evolving thing.

Is the activity of mankind contributing adversely to this? I think likely, but if I'm honest neither I or anyone else can be entirely sure.

Whether you believe in the effect of humankind on the climate or not, there are excellent strategic, economic and national security reasons for reducing our reliance on foreign fossil fuel sources.  Whichever side of the climate debate you find yourself on there are compelling reasons to modify our behaviour.  Think about that next time you pick up a brochure for a new V8 pick up, fly abroad on holiday, or buy a new cellphone to replace one that's 2 years old but otherwise perfftly functional.

Getting cold and autumnal here. Only just 10C now. Had to dress in winter gear for the first time since April. 

1 person likes this

43 minutes ago, tolsen said:

Getting cold and autumnal here. Only just 10C now. Had to dress in winter gear for the first time since April. 

Not enough forest fires near you eh...?    We are still well into HOT weather......not too bad as it could be worse....another 10 degree with humidity would kill me off and possibly start me thinking I might change my thinking processes...lol. But until then....sorry can't see man changing the rate of speed the earth's climate will extinguish humans...lol

The early mornings are starting to show the first creeping signs of autumn, but the days quickly warm up.  Cycled to work today at 6am in long sleeves for the first time since April.

On 10/14/2015 at 6:21 AM, marchanna said:

There is no doubt that this has meant a huge economic boom for Alberta, such that anyone can hardly call them a have-not province anymore.

Alberta hasn't been a have-not province since the '50s.

Good thing too, lots of Canadians depend on the money that Alberta annually sends to Ottawa. $21.8 billion this year. Quebec, a recipient of transfer payments for over 40 years and a vocal opponent of the Energy East pipeline, is due to get $13 billion, a boost of $1.4 billion over previous years.

Edited by mender
1 person likes this

On 5/27/2015 at 5:52 AM, marchanna said:

Agreed. Harper plays dirty politics. We need a significant overhaul of our political system.

It was interesting to fly out east during this time period and see all the demonization of Harper, even in the airport. The fear-mongers were working overtime.

I assume the "significant overhaul of our political system" didn't happen given what we've seen during the Trudeau reign and upcoming campaign. More funding to CBC to spread the appropriate viewpoints.

Edited by mender
1 person likes this

On 5/26/2015 at 9:21 PM, darren said:

I can only hope that the current government's days are numbered.

I agree heartily but in the present timeline.

Perhaps Trudeau will be happier working directly for the UN.

Edited by mender
1 person likes this

I thought he was....lol....seeing as he has given all our wealth away to their causes and not for Canadians...?

I know in my district which was a serious strong hold for the PC and flipped last election....there is a massive push to repair their mistakes and get back to normal and have a PC in power.

I'll stop here as I know my thoughts aren't more than likely shared ......in our group...lol.

There is no federal PC party any more.

Their numbers were decimated after Mulroney was turfed from office, and later merged with the Reform party, becoming the Reform Alliance, and then the Conservative Party of Canada. There are no more "progressive" conservatives, as the political arena has become increasingly polarized.