Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michaello

Noise - From Your Observations

7 posts in this topic

Hi,I would like to ask about your observations regarding outside noise. Where do you think most of it comes from (front, doors, bottom or the back)?I am thinking to reduce the noise using the noiseabsorbing mats.

I find most of the noise is due to the large glass area, the glass in modern cars is pretty thin and allows more noise transmission, I don't find the engine or road noise to be loud or abnormal in the smart, infact the engine is very quiet! If you were to add material concentrate on the doors, rear quaters (behind the trim panels) and firewall, there is not much there. The floor area is very well insulated plus has belly pans. I have had my dash out and rear trim panels off, nothing behind them, but not easily done either very intricate complicated areas to add material (perhaps a spray foam instead of wrap or board like bedliner material?)

I don't have a ride to compare and my car is my first Smart. This said, I wish I could stop the window/wind noise (windows closed). I can put up with the other sounds OK, but on the highway the wind sound right in my ear really kills me; and I don't think that could be fixed with noiseabsorbing mats :(

They're just loud cars, there's not much you can do about it.

I have to agree with Mike they're loud vehicles. I say the tailgate would be the main source of noise but regardless the whole vehicle is built pretty light weight so noise can go through almost anywhere.

Mine's not loud at all. A little whine from the electric motor, but other than that just the wind, the tires on the asphalt, and the scraping of the brakes when I come to a stop. By far the quietest car I've ever owned - but then I have a different situation than you guys.

I have little noise, being an Electric converted 451, I dont go much over 50mph and have no engine noise, a bit of gearbox whine and a small amount of wind and tyre noise. Its great.Tyre noise is probably the worst element of noise.Grumpy-b