Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zrwon

Alternator Pricing

30 posts in this topic

I've been driving for 6 months with a dead alternator by charging every second day, today, I decided to take it out to get it rebuilt, they want $280??? What the heck, I had a Bosh in my Corvette and when I took it in, the guy had done it for $20, just the cost of his parts and it lasted 9 years.Where do you guys buy your alternators these days?This is madness, how about rebuild it myself, what kit can I buy to rebuild it?ThanksAl

Limar, a rebuilder in Chambly QC has a rebuilt in stock for $160 exchange. I would think that shipping would negate the savings.

Limar, a rebuilder in Chambly QC has a rebuilt in stock for $160 exchange. I would think that shipping would negate the savings.

The local rebuilders here look at the cost of a new one and take 20% off for rebuilt.I think I will take it to a rebuilder and tell him it's in a hot rod and I don't know what kind of car it came from and might get it done for $75 that way.I used to live near Chambly, 10 minutes through the back field actually, I was in St-Luc but I now am in Edmonton AB

Why don't you have a go at it yourself. Normally the regulator/ brush assembly or diodes fail. These do not cost much and are easily replaced. Sometimes collector rings wear out too but only cost a few pounds. Some skill is required but the cost for external repairs may work as an incentive.

I just replaced one on a smart cdi of a friend. Mercedes-benz asked 466$ for an all OEM rebuilt in brasil. HAHAHHAHAHAAAA!!!! :crackmeup: They are sooOOOOoooo funny!!! As usual! :rolleyes: So I called some rebuilting shop. The price was between 175$ and 306$ for a rebuilt. I bought a new one (chineese unfortunatly) for 301$. The good thing with the chineese alternator are it got all new parts and got a steel pulley. Far better than this *&?$%*&? of aluminum original pulley! ;)

Edited by dieselkiki

Why don't you have a go at it yourself. Normally the regulator/ brush assembly or diodes fail. These do not cost much and are easily replaced. Sometimes collector rings wear out too but only cost a few pounds. Some skill is required but the cost for external repairs may work as an incentive.

Nobody seems to carry parts to do it myself, I asked a few places but got the same answer all the time.I would like to do it myself if I could find parts.

I saw that one but he wants the same as my rebuilder and it says used not rebuilt and who knows how long it will last?Plus there is a shipping charge, I won't give up till I can pay less than $175 no shipping charges.I'll go see a couple shop tomorrow, they should have parts and rebuild my own, hopefully.

Make sure, before replacing it, that your battery is 100%. A bad or weak battery can kill an alternator in short order. Our 2005 had nearly 250K km on its original unmolested alternator when the car was written off in a collision.

Could be as simple as a broken cable. Worth while investigating before attempting any alternator repair or replacement.

Check out fiddlefaddle. Cdn. distrbutor and a brand new Bosch is $366, that's where I got ours. I have the old seized one in the garage, but don't think I'd want to go through the hassle of shipping it for less than $120 plus shipping. Charges just fine, figure it's the bearings. We got rid of the Smart.

Oops, forgot this place doesn't like websites being posted. PM me for the name of the distributor...

Check out fiddlefaddle. Cdn. distrbutor and a brand new Bosch is $366, that's where I got ours. I have the old seized one in the garage, but don't think I'd want to go through the hassle of shipping it for less than $120 plus shipping. Charges just fine, figure it's the bearings. We got rid of the Smart.

There is. Go back and read my post. Do you really think I get autoparts from fiddlefaddle? Either the software did it, or it's a mod dicking around. It's not the first time it's happened here either.... Maybe they don't like the compettion for frying tiger....

There's no issue with posting sites here, especially for parts. Go ahead and post it.

Could be a remnant of the hacking a year or so ago. Try it again, and if it doesn't work, PM it to me and I'll try to post it.And who knows, could have been an oddly named distributor!

Oh yeah, the distibutor charges $4.99 flat rate on anything shipped anywhere in Canada. Hm, let's try it this way, just join as one big word:fiddlefaddle.ca

There is. Go back and read my post. Do you really think I get autoparts from fiddlefaddle? Either the software did it, or it's a mod dicking around. It's not the first time it's happened here either.... Maybe they don't like the compettion for frying tiger....

Edited by dellwas

We were spammed by someone who plastered this entire site with auto parts way dot ca some years ago (very heavily spammed) so any attempt to put that name in here is turned into fiddlefaddle.

This is the only word filtered in that way is the above, all other links are welcome.

Thanks for the explanation...

We were spammed by someone who plastered this entire site with auto parts way dot ca some years ago (very heavily spammed) so any attempt to put that name in here is turned into fiddlefaddle.

This is the only word filtered in that way is the above, all other links are welcome.

Believe it or not, I still don't have an alternator, I took it in to get a quote for rebuilt about 2 weeks ago and I still haven't heard back, go figure, I'll have to call back to find how long it will take to get me a quote.I wish I could find a kit to rebuild it myself.

I recently purchase a new alternator on ebay through rareelectrical of North Carolina. I paid $199.80 for brand new. I received it and am in the process of installing next week.

im pricing out an altenator for my 2005 now and found .canadianautoelectric $249 will rebuild mine for 199 there in toronto

Wasaagaguy I assume your from wasaga?! I'm just in Collingwoodif you want to meet up sometime or tag along to one of the events. I bought my alternator used from another member. Call up a bunch of scrap yards and such. You should be able to get a used or rebuild one for $200+-

ive shopped all over saw 1 used but thought by the look of whats involved with changing it do i want one that maybe wont last .im picking one up mon and then going to start the changing process . Of course getting colder and working outside .great country this canada .lol