Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huronlad

Snow!

76 posts in this topic

I'm currently stuck at work in Listowel. Visibility was great prior to 8am. Hopefully the roads will be safe to travel by this afternoon/evening.

It is not good out there.

Also a 15 car accident has closed eastbound Hwy 402 at Mandaumin Road.

There are approximately 30 vehicles involved in one collision site on westbound lanes at Oil Heritage, and another 30 on westbound lanes at Mandaumin, Monaghan said.

Article

OPP reporting Hwy 400 north of Toronto closed in both directions due to an accident involving 96 vehicles (yes, 96 vehicles!).

It is + 11C here at 19:15 in the evening. No ice no snow. Have not seen snow at all this winter. Only had to scrape ice twice. Bought a pair of ex British army snow shoes in preparation for another bad winter. Looks like they won't see snow this year.

By the way, my snow shoes are marked R F Scott. Previous owner or somebody pulling my legs?

Same type as these. Bought for 20 Pounds delivered.

Most snowshoes have the heel loose, like cross-country skis. Makes a more natural walking motion, but are very difficult to back up. Since yours are military, maybe they are designed for easier retreating, LOL. Website says Cairngorms have "amazing amounts of snow", so you can try out your snowshoes there.

Yes, too much snow in the Cairngorms. No ski tows were running because they were buried in deep snow. My British army snow shoes are based on some old Norwegian snow shoe design. They were traditionally used were skis could not go, i. e. in really steep terrain. That's why the binding is more rigid. Indian style snow shoes would be no good there.

One CUV in the ditch on my travels this morning. One OPP cruiser and many pickups fishtailing around Seaforth as I claimed a free steeped tea from Tim's. Roads were very quiet otherwise.

I drive to Toledo out of London 5 days per week for fedex freight. Because of the road conditions between London and Toledo they pulled there trucks off the road for today . We had one of our trucks in a pile up on 402 two weeks ago where there was two fatal injurys. People just don,t slow down so it,s to dangerous to be one the road. There was also ANOTHER pile up on 401 and Drumbo road today

I routinely wonder during the winter if mandating winter tires in Ontario would reduce accidents, or if the stupid drivers would further push the envelope of moronic.

Well, dangerous drivers will always be dangerous drivers until they find a new way of singling them out. I think mandatory winter tires would definitely improve things. I know in my case it makes an enormous difference to traction and braking. I'm an advocate for sure.that stretch of the 401 and the 402 have always been bad. Can't do much about ice unless we start looking at studded tires again, but then we pay for it in road repair.

Is winter ever going to end????This is the view from my garage.....still snowing!!!

post-35-1395762608_thumb.jpg

post-35-1395762631_thumb.jpg

First real snow of the season and only one truck in the ditch. The sad part was they didn't even make it out of town before running off the road.

Some OPP stats.

Ontario Provincial Police say there were 33,334 collisions between December 1 and March 31 this past winter. That’s up from 25,953 in the same period in 2012-2013

Edited by Huronlad

Yea, the 400 south to Newmarket from Barrie was a mess this morning. We should follow Quebecs lead and make snow tires mandatory.

Winter tires is the only sensible way to go when driving in the snow. The only thing better would be winter tires, equipped with studs.

Most people who end up in the ditch are there because of poor driving habits. Driving too fast for the road conditions is number one.

Slow down and get there!

When it's a bit too deep for the smart, the first picture shows a fun substitute. The second picture is a clue that you should have taken that trip to Hawaii.

post-7529-0-88206400-1416065628_thumb.jp

post-7529-0-68931600-1416065780_thumb.jp

Everyone is keeping it on the road in this area. One white dually driving around with no lights on.

Shortly after getting to work they start to close the roads. Hopefully I will not end up stuck in Listowel.

Edited by Huronlad

Sketchy over here about a foot of powder landed here at Blue Mtn and lots of wind and whiteout conditions.

The wind was keeping most of the roads bare in this area. The 2 roads that were snow covered, it was only a couple of inches deep.

6-8" of snow fell overnight in my area. Had to disable traction control to get out of the parking lot after getting a little stuck. Had to disable it again to make it through the Tim Horton's parking lot. Thankfully all the roads were plowed.

So many people don't seem to realize that even with 4WD or AWD, your connection to the road comes down to four patches of rubber the size of your hand. You have to respect the physics!

Lol yes you can get up to speed faster with AWD or 4WD but stopping is the problem. Bugs me in the city walking on the street and all the cars have summer tires on. .

A little bit of snow and some slippery conditions this morning and 3 vehicles ended up in the ditch on the roads I drive each day. Also had one vehicle stopped at a stop sign and the driver running about the oustside of the vehicle, unsure what they were doing, I just drove around them.

post-5864-0-29328200-1420684122_thumb.pngpost-5864-0-10229200-1420684166_thumb.png

Yesterday a lady tried to park her Cadillac SUV on the front lawn at my work, she was unable to make it passed the ditch.

post-5864-0-87164600-1420684204_thumb.png

Edited by Huronlad

Yup! The last couple of days here in London have been Crazy. Especially thanks to the Snow Squalls that are pounding us right now. Although "Sally" seems to be quite comfortable and functional with her Oil Pan Heater, Interior Car Warmer and Ctech Battery Charger.

Drove from Richmond Hill back to Seaforth on Thursday evening in the snowy, slippery weather that was taking place.  The Yoko Advan's all season performance is a long way off from a proper snow tire.  They do work better than the Kumhos that came with the car.  Slower speeds, plows and a road closure added about an extra hour to my drive.  Monday will be a good day to mount snow tires.