Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huronlad

Snow!

76 posts in this topic

I don't know how accurate the report is, but I just heard on a Toronto radio station that London got a total of 71cm (28") when all was said and done .. I guess it's time to put the winter tires on.

A weeks worth of snow but I have not witnessed any cars in the ditch. Those without snow tires tend to be traveling at 10 to 20 kph under the speed limit in this area. I wonder what goes through their minds when they get passed by a smart in this weather.

OK, you can stop sending snow to the lower 48 - we've had enough! :)

A weeks worth of snow but I have not witnessed any cars in the ditch. Those without snow tires tend to be traveling at 10 to 20 kph under the speed limit in this area. I wonder what goes through their minds when they get passed by a smart in this weather.

I've been experiencing that around here too. Plenty of snow on the ground, but the roads are completely clear and dry. Get going people! There were people going 80 on a 100 kph section of Highway 7 last night. Blew past them at 110.

There were a few vehicles last week only doing about 50 on the 80 and 90 kph roads. Not sure what they were doing out on the roads, conditions did not warrant those kinds of speeds. Most of the time I could care less about have to drive a little slower due to slow moving traffic, just end up getting better fuel mileage.

How badly were owners effected by the ice storm?

Not bad in the Barrie area. We go ice but not like TO! I have 4 snows but still found some roads to be challenging....but there's not a lot of weight to these things B) The traction control is a PITA, though!

How badly were owners effected by the ice storm?

I stayed in the house all day Sunday, the day of the main storm. Big trees did not do well. Driveway is now coated in ice which can only be chipped and hacked away (I'm leaving most of it there and just driving on top of it). Power stayed on here, with only a few flickers, but I know many people who were out of power until today, and I took a little road trip today and saw that power is still out in a lot of Caledon.

There are a lot of ''unsmart'' people out there! Had 3 guys come to the ER yesterday with the tips of their fingers chopped off by snowblowers- make sure the engine is off before trying to unplug those blocked blades.

3 people in one day?! Ouch! Happens a lot more than I thought.

OK, more white stuff courtesy of our neighbo(u)rs to the north. Enough already! :D

You're getting the snow, but you aren't getting the nice weather along with it. It's currently a balmy -25 Celsius in Ottawa.

Send some snow out our way, I miss it. Green Christmases suck, and that's the 15th one in a row for us.

Played in the snow with the 451 last night, turned off ESP/TC/ABS, lots of fun.Had to do the same thing to get out of the parking lot this morning, about 12" of snow drifted in around my car.Roads were not too bad to drive on, Huron County plows do a much better job clearing the roads than Perth County.

Played in the snow with the 451 last night, turned off ESP/TC/ABS, lots of fun.

Refresh my memory...how do you disable the the TC on a 450? What a PITA!! We have about 2 feet of freshly fallen snow today. I think it's a fuse, isn't it? Thanks...

You should be able to pull the correct fuse to disable the system. In my 450 I use my disabler plug that plugs into the OBDII port. In the 451 you just have to press both display buttons, turn the key to position 1 and wait for the TC light to start flashing, then start the car.

And the disabler plug is just a foolproof way of shorting pin 2 and 7 on the obdii port to disable the ABS, ESP and the like.

We have a ton of snow here in Collingwood/Clarksburg. A f150 drove (more like a love tap) into Lowblaws two days ago and perfectly missed the street light and signal light poles. Also another funny scene was a SUV with obviously summer or all season tires attempted to go into the roundabout at blue and went right threw the middle!It's not really snow that's the problem now it's the cold. My truck wouldn't even start yesterday because the fuel gelled the same with the smart! I personally never ran into this issue before but dam. Then tried to take the 06 Ford escape to work and the drive terrain wouldn't go into gear, at that point I just stayed at home.

It has been a while since I last witnessed a vehicle stuck in the snow. A pickup traveling too fast around a corner, hit a spot of ice and put themselves into the snow bank.I had an interesting conversation with the tow truck operator that took my broken 451 to the dealer last week to replace the brake lamp switch. During the several days this month that Huron County roads were all closed they had to tow a hundred or more cars abandoned on the roads, so the plows could safely do there job. One woman was quite upset to have to pay $150 for the 3 hours it took to get her car out of the way.

One vehicle in the ditch Wednesday evening between Listowel and Stratford, must just have been traveling to fast and lost control, the roads were pretty bare.Another truck in the ditch this morning, took a corner too fast and got into some heavy snow. The corner is at the transition between two counties, one (Huron County) does an excellent job keeping drifting snow to a minimum, the other(Perth) county not so much.Slow moving traffic(60kph) from London to Seaforth last night, bare roads mostly some blowing snow. The cars leading the pack would hit the brakes every time oncoming traffic got close, snow was blowing across the road or there were drifts on the road. My Father was eventually able to pass them all and continue along at the speed limit.

More freezing rain related then snow but last night a Mazda 3 owner was able to put 3 of their 4 wheel into a snow bank. The car was nearly on a 45 degree angle in the bank. On the wrong side of the road at a stop sign, they must have been going at a good clip to get that stuck in the bank.Only one of the roads (Huron County Road 19) I travel was a mess. The plows had not cleared the snow before it started to rain and freeze back up. The frozen ruts and slush made it interesting to drive in the narrow track smart.

Thursday February 27 at 9AMOPP closed all roads in Huron and Perth counties due to snow squall activity limiting visibility to near zero.Also a 15 car accident has closed eastbound Hwy 402 at Mandaumin Road.Currently it's -15C in London with wind chill of -27C. Forecast is -28C overnight, winds of 30 to 40 km gusting to 60 km easing after midnight and 10 cm of snowfall.Winter may be here to stay!