Jarod997

2008 451, 125,000 Km Shift Actuator Gone

14 posts in this topic

So, my wife drove our little blue bundle of joy into work (because it has heated seats) ;) and when she was ready to leave, the car wouldn't engage in gear. When you shift to D, N or R the dash reads correctly, the engine will rev, but the transmission wouldn't grab.So, long story short - I have the clutch actuator on my workbench and the spring is snapped, in two places. Yes, two. It would seem that one break is older than the other because the end of the break has rusted.BTW, nowhere does it say that this unit requires maintenance or inspection. It seems when I popped the cover off the clutch actuator it looks like the seal around the edge was worn or severely "mangled" in two places. I've never had work done on the unit before and I'm outside my warranty period now.MB wants $900 (Cdn) to replace it, and suggested the clutch might need replacing too, at an extra $1,300.I would love to find a lower cost option.Oh, and as a side note, my front suspension springs snapped about a month ago. I have some available, but I'm holding of on ordering them until I get this sorted out. I'm giving them two coats of Tremclad before I have them installed. :P What's with this car and having springs snapping?

1 person likes this

Ask for an ESKULAB on the spring. Should be free!It likely only needs the actuator. I had one go at 84,000 km and the replacement lasted another 160,000 and then the car was smashed and written off. Give them some internal lube.

Asked about the ESKULAB, and the service guy said it would be likely "not worth his time" as the car is 1 year and 40,000 km out of warranty and would most likely be declined, but after I asked nicely he said he would put it in.That's a good thread jwight, thanks. I saw another thread on removing, cleaning the inside and re-installing which is why I figured I could give things a try myself.In other news, I found a yard which may have a used part - and likely they have no idea what it's really worth so I might be able to get it dirt cheap. I'll just have to look inside it before I commit. :P I'm not buying a second rusty spring.

Edited by Jarod997

I got an ESKULAB on a 7 year old smart for an A/C repair at 225,000 km.

I see I will never buy a 451. Too unreliable and very expensive parts. I've never seen reports of spring or pinion failure on a 450 clutch actuator.I have only had one instance of 450 clutch actuator trouble (apart from wiring issues). The usual problem, i.e. ingress of water and dirt. Was easily fixed by flushing out internals, let it dry out and applying a moderate amount of white lithium grease. The cure is to effectively prevent further ingress of water in way of the three potential entry points:Between motor and housing, between grommet and housing and between grommet and actuator rod.Removed corrosion and cleaned in way of above water ingress points. Applied lithium grease between motor and housing. Cleaned and painted actuator rod. Made sure no lithium grease had wetted grommet since that will make rubber swell and cause it to perish. Applied silicon grease to grommet where it makes contact with housing and rod. Fitted tie wrap over housing end of grommet as an additional precaution. Over greasing is no good. Grease will enter brush gear of motor and cause damage grommet. Spare grommets can easily be sourced for the 450 clutch actuator from slave or master cylinders. Regrettably nothing is available for the 451 except from 2nd hand actuators.Another point: The 450 actuator has a sealed steel cover which is more or less indestructible. Plastic cover on the 451 actuator is another potential water ingress point and also quite prone to stone chip and grounding damage.

@Tolsen, your cleaning description matches a forum post I saw showing how to clean the thing out. I only wish I knew about that two years ago. :PI'll keep you guys posted on how things go.

Try sourcing a suitable replacement spring provided your actuator otherwise is in order.

It looks like the "bottom" of the large cam has been worn or deformed by the broken spring part. It's impossible to tell what the damage is like underneath without further disassembly. Also, the plastic guide bar inside the spring has been chipped at the cam end. I don't know how much of an issue that is.Sorry, I do have photos but I haven't got them off my phone yet.

I also have had to to replace my clutch actuator recently. Like the OP, my smart is a 2008, but with only 38,000 km. The key to the part failure was mostly due to years of service I believe. Because, after removing the part and opening it up, I immediately noticed the gasket was out of position in one area (like the OP). As a result, there was quite a bit of corrosion on everything, including the broken spring and broken worm drive off the electric motor. I'm sure the actuator would have been fine if the gasket had been seated properly and done its job of keeping moisture out. Special thanks to Glenn for helping source a new actuator. The gasket on it is seated properly. In addition, I put a bead of silicon around the outside of the seam.

I don't know how prevalent this problem is? It might be worth it for others to have a look inside to check the gasket and investigate possible corrosion. The actuator does need to come off the car (3 bolts and a plug), in order to remove the cover. I jacked up and blocked the rear driver side to gain clearance to access it. Hopefully (and likely), this problem is very rare. The car has been very reliable for me over the years other than this issue.

1 person likes this

Hi any guidance on how to service or maintain the acuator winter is comein and I don’t want to b crawling on ground working on the 08 lil blue beast lol thanks for any info.....Vman 

Edited by Vman
Forgot to specify car year