Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kags12

Heated Windscreen

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,Is there such a thing as a heated windscreen for a smart? If yes, where can I get one as now the winter has arrived and don't want to scrape the car early in the mornings. I do have a cover for the car both full and just one for the screen.

I don't think such a thing is available for the smart.

With only a few degrees of frost, a very good alternative to scraping is to pour hot water across the top of the frosted windows. Very quick and easy!

Check out these guys.

Don't know anything about them, just found the link for you.

http://mirrorliteco.com/northwind.html

That looks good, but... I don't see a price, and after reading the following, it makes me wonder:

Warning!

In extremely cold weather, failure to equalize glass temperature prior to activating

NorthWind could result in a cracked windshield. In cold weather, insure that the forced-

air defroster has warmed the upper windshield before turning on the NorthWind system.

So basically... Don't use windshield warmer/wiper de-icer unless windshield is already warm... Hmmm. Seems kinda pointless.

With only a few degrees of frost, a very good alternative to scraping is to pour hot water across the top of the frosted windows. Very quick and easy!

I was always told that doing this could crack the windscreen and the better option is cold water or just get a good scraper

Yes, I should have said warm water (or cold water). Definitely not boiling water. And only with a couple degrees of frost. Much quicker than scraping if you have a water container handy just for this purpose.

what doesn't seem to be common practice even though it should be common sense, is to lift the wipers when you know that weather is coming. I have a neighbour who also puts down newspaper on the windshield... I am not sure what it does or if it works; should ask him one day.