Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DrZaius

Winter Tires For Electric Drive

69 posts in this topic

PMC didn't give me any more discount % if we get more people...

I think you can proceed with the 5% discount in mind.

Andrew, I have a set of OE 450 steel rims available with reasonably used 145 Conti TS760s on the front skinnies if you find someone for the rear tires. I'll clean them up and paint the faces, $150 plus my fuel if I meet someone halfway.

That's great I seen so many tires package out there.

I am in Ottawa, I just secured the following set:

Continental TS800 Front 155/60R15

Continental TS800 Rear 175/55R15

15" OE fit silver steel (staggered)

Mounted, installed and balanced for 810 (tax-in)

This deal also qualify me $65 mail-in rebate from Continental. So its only $745.

But only cash or debit payment.

I know someone like the Blizzaks, but WS60 is really old and discontinued, feel insecure if anything happens.

That's a good price.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with the Blizzaks, the just either redesigned them or moved the line to a new location. There's a good chance that the new series will not be as good as the old series - cheaper materials and cheaper production method to increase profits - it doesn't matter if thew work as well because the name is well established as the standard for winter tires now.

Having driven both Continental and Blizzak winter tires, i can say that they're both very good. The Continentals seemed to wear a bit better on dry roads. Here in southern Ontario, we don't get a lot of snow that sticks around all winter, so on my old 450, i found Blizzaks would only last 2-3 seasons.

Took advantage of the 5% discount you secured earlier for "anything smart related", to get some ContiWinterContacts for my cabrio... As superdave menitoned above, there's also a $65 mail-in rebate available if you buy any 4 Continental tires on the same invoice between October 1st to December 15th. Yet another factor to consider! All in, I paid $440.61 for the tires (minus the $63 that I'll be able to get out of the prepaid card from the rebate).

The prepaid credit cards are the worst - a lot of places won't accept them since they can be used for scams. A Square Reader will take care of them though ;)

Got my tires and rims at Costco. Good deal with $100 off. Decided to put them on myself. Did not want scratches. When jacking at the rear lift point, the whole side of the car came off the ground. Was not expecting that. Did make changing the tires easier. Just need some ice and snow to try them out.

When looking underneath there is a plastic panel with holes in it. Would be a good place for snow to hide. Did not see any rust proofing behind it..

It's a little early for winter tires don't you think?

I usually wait for the first snowfall. A few warm days will strip a lot of tread winter tires.

They say to put them on when the average daily temp hits 7°C. I don't think we're quite there yet in southern Ontario, but some areas a little further north have had snow already.

I've got mine on already. I hate the lineups when it first snows and everyone rushes to get them on. For the little bit of wear in the warm weather, it's worth it.

I put mine on myself. I can't justify paying someone $50 to do a $5 job.

1 person likes this

The ride is a nicer now with the winter tires on. Don't notice the bumps as much. Must be the softer rubber.

I was told not to use old winter tires since the rubber gets hard over time.

Yup. I just waited until trolley jacks, jack stands and torque wrenches went on sale at Canadian Tire and got a decent kit for $50-60, and i've done the changeovers on both of our cars for the last 9 years.

Edited by darren

Got my tires and rims at Costco. Good deal with $100 off. Decided to put them on myself. Did not want scratches. When jacking at the rear lift point, the whole side of the car came off the ground. Was not expecting that. Did make changing the tires easier. Just need some ice and snow to try them out.

When looking underneath there is a plastic panel with holes in it. Would be a good place for snow to hide. Did not see any rust proofing behind it..

You jack it on the middle on the side ?

When we got the car, we bought winter rims from the dealership.

I got them to price match with Canadian Tire :o

Can't remember how much exactly, something in the $70 range.