Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dpollo

Ev Experience

50 posts in this topic

Today, November 30 I drove my usual Saturday morning route in my truck and measured the distance.Shawnigan Lake to Downtown Victoria , return via Farm and a short side trip. Distance covered, 94 kms.ElectroSmart now at 100 % and charger had shut off. I then ran errands all around the southern Cowichan Valley and returned home just after dark.95.1 kms, total, 22% left in battery. estimate 28 kms left before empty ..... headlights in use for about 20 minutes, occasional heat and defrost.Temperature 47 degrees F. Combination of highway and secondary roads, some hills. Sea level to 400 feet. Good performanceall round. I can now feel confident doing the early morning trip where some heat and headlight use will be needed.

Good to hear. I find the ED quite practical for about 90% of my usage.If you have the Pano roof, you really don't need heat at all on sunny days.

Day 3, overnight charge from 22% to full consumed 17.5 kwh @ 10.34cents for a total of $1.80 energy for 95 kms . I had not thought about solar heat in the cabin but my car does have the Pano roof. It is not an option I would have considered but I am now glad it is there. No sun today though cloudy and wet and well above freezing I am starting to get over the anxiety I always experience with a major purchase. This is just the way I am. Heck, I even felt anxious when I bought my Volare wagon for a dollar. Maybe for good reason, but it was an exceptionally good car despite their dubious reputation. I sold it for 225 times what I paid for it and bought my first Smart in '08. Looking forward to a shorter drive today.

Well that's where we differ. I bought my Smart ED sight unseen. The first time I drove any electric vehicle was the day I drove the Smart home from the dealer. I had a deposit on it a year and half in advance.I guess I'm a jump in with both feet sort of person with no looking back.

You are a brave man, Marchanna. Good thing we are all different though . I did not used to be so timid. Today was an easy day, about 30 kms, Used some cabin heat and tried the heated seat too. Used about 30%, It took 5 kwh to recharge . 52 cents. I am liking this car better every day.

Great thread! Keep the inputs coming. This car may very well be the most reliable and cost effective to operate making it the most desirable city car

Thanks Turbomar. Marchanna, your charge record is very complete. I have not yet decided on a level 2 charger, I have some inquiries out there. In the meanwhile, I am using a KWH meter on the circuit dedicated to level 1 charging. As I mentioned, I was around the electrical trades as a young man and collected these devices when they became surplus. You can buy a modern analog watt hour meter just like the ones in use on most homes until the digital ones came along for about $125 through an electrical wholesaler. Best to get a licensed electrician involved if this is what you want to do .

The Level 2 becomes important when you start racking up a lot of Kms everyday. I was finding with the level 1 that I didn't have enough charge in the morning to get me through the day, or sometimes if I needed a top up during the day, I couldn't get enough in time.

Don't be too hasty with your level 2 purchase. There are quite a few options out there. Bosch has a new one for under $500, and if you join GHEVA (Golden Horseshoe Electric Vehicle Association) Sun Country Highway will give you $100 off their LS25. Then of course you can always build your own.

Advice about chargers noted. Thank you and any further comments are welcome. The $1300 Bosch that the dealer recommended (less with rebate) was almost revolting enough to kill the entire deal. Do sales reps think we are all barefooted rubes ? I only look like one. I have feelers out and will let the forum know when I make a decision. As readers may have noted I have a 39.5 km (one way) commute with power at each end. I believe Level 1 for overnight at home......... car is at home from 5 pm to 8 am with a level 2 at the destination (farm) for a boost during the day ...... a boost at that end will allow some discretionary trips. All a matter of planning, kind of like the old days when $2 had to keep me running all week. mind you with farm gas at 30 cents a gallon that was not so bad.

[Just noted that sun country has their lcs25 on for $629. That's the lowest I have seen so far. Still more than directly from Clipper Creek ($US514) but I kinda like what sun country is doing and feel the need to support them.We do have to be careful to compare apples to apples. The LCS25 is rated at 20Amps sustained. That is all our chargers can handle so that is good enough. The Bosch Keeba is rated at 30A so it is an oversell for us. But note that the next up in the Sun Country series is a CS40, 30amps sustained @$1700. It makes sense that Bosch is working on a 20A charger to meet the needs of home charging. Not saying the price is reasonable for the higher current stations based on component costs - just that everyone is charging premium prices for the (useless to us) big chargers.

Good information. I checked the voltage on my 15 amp outlet which is 50 + feet from the panel. 108. not really good.Charging times have been satisfactory but line loss is never "cool" if you will forgive the pun. Putting in a new circuit with # 12 wire. I have some attic space to get through and wish I was as slim as I was when I was snaking wires back in the 60s. When I install a Level 2 at the farm it will be only inches from the panel. Different building altogether.

A full week of ownership now. I have improved my charging circuit, still 15 amperes but wired with #12 wire. A kwh meter is part of the circuit and it is located where I can keep a running total of power used. The last two days have been wintry so both Smarts have stayed warm and dry.My road is always the last to be ploughed and the narrow track of the Smart makes following ruts difficult.I think the level 2 charger Bosch Power Max is the one I will buy. I notice the dealer is in Illinois. Does CRA exact a duty on these or is there a Canadian supplier ?

I don't know where to buy them in Canada, but yes there will be duty and HST. If you can get it shipped via USPS with a declared value of under $50 you can avoid both. I would try Amazon or eBay.

220V is a must for recharging at home I would think?

My usage perfectly matches the range and recharge time on my 2014 Smart ED.The range of 70km in the winter with heated seats, head lights, defrost heat and brisk acceleration from every stop is plenty. The closest I have gotten to using all of the battery is ~10% left. I don't recharge every night, sometimes go 3 days between.As for the L1 recharge time, even from 10%, it was ready when I got in the next morning, so there's no need for L2 for me. Plus, because it takes longer to recharge, and uses lower amps, it makes better use of the Ontario tiered electricity prices.I'll move up to L2 when the chargers offer more features and integrate better into the Ontario smart grid. I'm thinking in terms of features like the ability for Ontario Hydro to signal that my charger should lower amps during peak periods, and use more in periods when demand is lower, and thus rates are lower. Edited by SmartElectric

I do not have one yet. I was assuming you can plug in as soon as you get home but have it programmed to charge only from lets say 1am to 5am with a L2 charger. So always paying the lowest rates. is that the case or does it charge full tilt as soon as you plug in? for me I would plug in every time I get home just so it becomes second nature and it will always be full for the next day or when I use next.

[that's the theory. Right now there appears to be some bugs in that system. Promise of correction by upgrading the firmware. In Ontario you have 12 hours of off peak per night (7pm to 7am) so L1 is good enough. L2 would come into its own if you came home after a busy day and were going back out after supper. Or perhaps on a busy weekend.

Approaching two weeks of ownership now. 500 kms total . The last few trips were justlocal jaunts some heat, some headlight use. I am getting more comfortable with the whole concept.Lots of positive comments from friends and neighbours. That is what owning a new car used to be all about back in the days of tail fins.

two and a half weeks now and I used a level 2 charging station for the first time. This one in Duncan BC. No problemsonce I figured it out. Almost a guaranteed a parking space although I am sure that will change You have to love this little town :Free parking and a Free Charge for up to 2 hours. I used only an hour to get up to about 95 % and went on my way.