Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SkydiverChris

Starting Issue - Is It My Glow Plugs?

209 posts in this topic

I never have, just make sure you use pentrating oil multiple times prior to doing it. And before you do make sure the engine is nice and hot. . like fresh off the highway hot. . . and of course use the proper tools and not too much force (I forget the rating off the top of my head WIS has it listed)

Edited by dmoonen

.4 ohm may be a bit low, but could simply be a contact issue etc. Removing the glow plugs on mine was dead easy. I was very worried, btu when I did it, it only took me 10 minutes from start to finish, including disconnect/reconnect. The key is to use penetrating lubricant when the engine is hot a couple of times, then do the removal with the engine hot. Also, whne removing them, do it like a thread tapper, 1/4 turn out, half turn back in...repeat, many, many times.

The only word of advice is to avoid twisting them at an angle (don't use a wrench, or support it VERY well when twisting.) A "T" bar would be ideal.

Really, it's nothing.

Random update, but my last start issue after I replaced the crank sensor, glow plugs and injector rings as well as an injector flush at Troy's shop. It hasn't done it since that day. I'm holding my hopes up this time that it may be good.

I get 0.4 on the new one too. I will not try to remove it for nothing with this reading. My problem is somewhere else... I had some injector cleaning stuff in the fuel. Now it is wait and see...

Edited by David_18

Your meter doesn't have an ohmmeter sensitive enough nor an ammeter big enough to properly measure glow plugs, nor will properly measuring them rule out carbon build-up rendering a working glowplug ineffective.

Also glowplugs will be consistent. Whether good or bad, they won't change one start to the next.

Really low ohms need a specialty meter. Amps are the best way to measure something like a glowplug anyway, because that confirms that the controller is also working. If you can measure lots of amps entering then you know heat is being made. But the draw is probably upwards of 20 amps initially so your meter won't work. And even then you don't know if the bore is all clogged or if the tip of the plug doesn't heat.

Bottom line is if your symptoms are consistent with glowplug failure, replace them and ream the bores. No amount of testing will confirm the tip of the glowplug is glowing hot and not shrouded by carbon deposits, it can sometimes confirm the glowplug has failed but not that it is fine.