Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michaello

Maximum Width Of Winters Available?

13 posts in this topic

IMHO narrower is better. 5 seasons of running 145 all around and I will not change if I do not have to. Extra width in the winter just leads to extra drag and wear and tear on the drive train. Narrower tire and you can run a taller sidewall giving a softer ride.

Edited by Huronlad

The poster above and I have a minor difference of opinion on the subject. That said, it really depends upon the conditions where you drive the most. While a narrower tire will theoretically cut through soft snow (and slush) better, yielding a larger contact patch with the pavement below, in practice a wider tire will have a larger contact patch on the driving surface in all other conditions. In Montreal, a city with the largest snow clearing budget in the world, we receive an average of 18 plowable snowfalls in a given winter. Typically, the season's first snow is in mid-November while we may get one last blast in mid-March. Let's say that's 120 days of potentially snowy roads. Of the average 18 snowfalls, I would guess that less than half are deep enough to be of concern to a driver with slightly wider tires. And of the remaining nine, only a small handful cause any accumulation on side streets when the vast majority of drivers would be on the road (rush hour to rush hour). Thus, in my case here in Greater Montreal, I'd rather have the extra grip and traction afforded by a slightly wider tire 97% of the time and give up some deep snow traction the other 3%.

I would think the standard sizes would just work fine. I agree with the above comments. Narrower in snow, slush, and mud is superior, but on dry pavement whether cold or hot wider provides more traction. Wider really is only a significant benefit if you're trying to plant a lot of torque on the asphalt.

Just make sure they are proper winter ti(y)res, as opposed to the all-season M&S versions. :)

Wider is better in all situations except soft snow and slush. I don't encounter too many roads covered with deep mud, but you'd want wide, knobby tires in deep mud without a road surface beneath. Wide tires not only provide more grip for forward traction, but the larger contact patches also aid lateral grip as well as braking control and distance.

+1 FrancescoAnother point that was not addressed, CROSS-WIND. I ran 145s all around last winter and the cross-winds were scary at times! This year I opted for the 175s in the rear and will always do so in the future. Good luck with whatever decision you make Michaello!

+1 FrancescoAnother point that was not addressed, CROSS-WIND. I ran 145s all around last winter and the cross-winds were scary at times! This year I opted for the 175s in the rear and will always do so in the future. Good luck with whatever decision you make Michaello!

+1 here too. Driving on the highway with 145/175 is already bad enough. 185/195 in the summer is so much more stable. Next winter I'll go with 175/195 on Roadster steelies. Then again, in Windsor it barely even snows... nothing on the ground yet this year!Knocks on wood (since my summer tires are still on)Kerry

I've been running 185/55-15 Nokian Hakkapeliita 5s all around here, which is the stock size on several small cars including the FIAT 500.I've rarely felt the front tires "floating" while driving in winter, but I definitely notice the enhanced traction as well as the added crosswind stability.

Years ago, Car Magazine drove a 450 in Sweden or Norway on 175/195 snow tires.

i have roadster rims an have 185/55/ front an 195/55/15 rears both full snow. i find them great in bad weather.