Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jazzbaby

Frozen Zippy Car

14 posts in this topic

HELP! Last Thursday, a town in Alberta was the coldest place on the planet. Calgary wasn't quite so bad but poor Zippy just wouldn't start. :( So there she sits in the garage. Seemed to be enough juice in the battery but the cold was just too much even though other years nothing has stopped her. The temperature is supposed to be about -10C tomorrow (much warmer) and I'm planning to give it another try. The trickle charger is on as of last night and I was thinking that adding a little gas line antifreeze would be a good idea as well. I try keep the tank topped up so hopefully there wasn't a lot of condensation. Should I add the whole bottle of gas line antifreeze or only half due to small size of tank? I was even thinking about buying an electric blanket to toss over Zippy while she's in the garage although I'm worried that may create a fire hazard. Any suggestions as to what I can do? A block heater for a smart would really be a good idea but I don't think one is even available, is it?

I would try the gas line antifreeze first to see if it is a fuel problem. Part of the bottle will be sufficient I would think. The 451 should really have no problem starting in the cold. What is the mileage on your car and have the spark plugs been changed as recommended by smart?

I'm not sure what model you have, I'm guessing diesel since its hard to start. Do not use gas line anti freeze in diesels with methal hydrate it will eat away at seals and o rings. Use a diesel additive to stop it from gelling and to remove moisture like this http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/power-se...ml#.Uqd-Do3VsSU Diesel fuel starts gelling around -23C depends on the grade and the blend.

Block heaters are really recommended for low temperatures.

There's basically three types:

[*]Submerged ($)

[*]Stick on (most common aftermarket most member have)

[*]Magnetic stick on type (easy to forget and loose)

Canadian tire stocks both the stick on and magnetic type oil heaters.

I wouldn't recommend sticking a heating blanket onto the car, Its the engine and battery that needs heat not the body :lol: . A friend of mine welds in Alaska and they hang heater bulbs (like the chicken hatchery type) in their engine bays over night on their diesel trucks, just be careful of course :)

Edited by dmoonen

My guess is bad battery; once they go below the minimum voltage the computer needs to see they just won't start. The battery maintainer may help at home but if you park the car in the cold at work it may not start when you need to go home. :)

Car is gas engine, 2009. This past week has simply been brutally cold with temps running at -30C, worse if you include windchill. I had everything checked in October and was told the car was in excellent order. Battery was okay then and I've never had any problem starting her other winters. We have the trickle charger on her right now because we tried to start her three or four times and likely drained it some. I didn't know about the heaters at Canadian Tire. Thanks so much for that tip. I just hope once I get Zippy running that I can get her through the drifts that keep happening at the end of my street. Thank you, everyone.

HELP! Last Thursday, a town in Alberta was the coldest place on the planet. Calgary wasn't quite so bad but poor Zippy just wouldn't start. A block heater for a smart would really be a good idea but I don't think one is even available, is it?

Being a Model T owner, I was surprised to read to that they were able to start in really cold weather.....click hereI would recommend installing an oil pan heater (info)- that helps with the cold weather starts, easy install.

Thanks for everyone's help. Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. The zippy car started just fine once the temperature warmed up a few degrees to about -25C. No gas line antifreeze was used yet she was back on the road. It seems the brutal winter temps were just too much for those few days.

I would recommend a block heater of some sort. Also make sure the software in the engine computer is up to date. When the 451's first came out they had major cold start problems at even -10c and they would flood themselves. That change would have been done by now Im sure but its worth asking the dealer if they could do a software update to help. Find someone to install a zero start coolant heater. They are awesomeTroy

Might have been a different issue in Canada but in the States the 2008 smarts just didn't have a big enough battery, especially when the car was equipped with auto lights and wipers. smart USA swapped those batteries out for ones with higher capacity on a lot of early smarts.

Being a Model T owner, I was surprised to read to that they were able to start in really cold weather.....click hereI would recommend installing an oil pan heater (info)- that helps with the cold weather starts, easy install.

My mother grew up in central Saskatchewan in the 30's and told me when they took their Model T into town in really cold weather her dad would drain the coolant into his bucket & put it in the general store while they shopped, and if it didn't fire up on the first couple of cranks he would remove the spark plugs and wipe off the frost that had formed, they never got stranded.

Odd that you are having trouble. Since 2009 I have been parking my 451 outside and never had a cold start problem. Not even once. With the wind chill it got down to the -35 range here in Calgary last month, and this week even it was just as cold, no issues whatsoever.