Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jwight

Ohio April Fools Vi Can-am Smart Rally, April 4-6, 2014

25 posts in this topic

The thread title should read: Ohio April Fools VI Can-Am smart Rally, April 4-6, 2014

Details to be determined, but another name change to recognize Canadian participation in the April Fools rally. Stay tuned! :)

I'll be there and hopefully my girlfriend can attend as well.

Sounds good, then you can bring both smarts... :)

Spike and I have marked it on our calendar. Will be in touch later concerning accommodations.

I've finally gotten my vacation days organized for the year, so I'll be there! I'll probably still be sporting my Stream Green panels at that point too, but road conditions will determine that!

Motel room information – please book your room ASAP! Rooms will be released after 25 February.

Americas Best Value Inn, 1952 Marion-Mt Gilead Rd, Marion, OH 43302 Rate is $58 plus tax.

Telephone: (740) 389-4671. Be sure to mention the smart car rally.

They are holding 19 remaining rooms for us until February 25th; after that you are on your own for lodging. :)

PS - there's a Timmies a mile from the motel.

Excellent, now we know where we are going. It will be Friday evening sometime before Jen and I can make it down.

I checked with the motel this morning - only eight of the 20 rooms at the $58 rate have been booked. That rate disappears on February 25th so get your room booked ASAP! Thanks! :)

We will not be making the trip this year, we gave the Smart car to my step-daughter and we got a new Fiat 500...looked very hard at another Smart car. Thought we could snag the car from her for the trip but work has gotten in the way and she likes it a lot more than she would admit.Everyone have fun!

Wondered what happened; thanks for the update. If you want to do the drive on Saturday we can overlook the Fiat.... :)

Here is the entire group of 24 cars at the Shawshank site. More pictures to follow. A good time was had by all. Well done John :3tens:

post-7529-1396839974_thumb.jpg

post-7529-1396839995_thumb.jpg

Reformatory, that sounds very A Clockwork Orange...

When it was originally built, it was a reformatory. (The Ohio State Reformatory) It was built between 1886 and 1910 and remained in operation until a 1990 federal court ruling (the 'Boyd Consent Decree') ordered the facility to be closed.

Eventually, it was changed to a prison, but the living conditions were so poor that it was eventually closed.

It was used in several well known movies and quite a few music videos.

For more info, click here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the name Shawshank was not applied to this building until it gained publicity after the movie "The Shawshank Redemption" was released. The building stood in for the fictional Shawshank prison.

Correct. Perhaps the most interesting thing was that they didn't even use the actual cell blocks for the Shawshank Redemption.