Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drivensmart

Replacement Alternator

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried to install a different than O.E.M alternator, ie toyota corrola, mazda 3.something that is easier and cheaper to find locally, Lordco and napa don't have one here, and I don't /won't buy from the dealer.The autowreckers have many similar in size and mounting , the wiring should be simple, just need to make or modify a bracket. has anyone done this or is there somthing I don't know about.

I don't know anyone who has tried that. I would think it would take a lot of time to make all the modifications.

Eddy in Vancouver sells altenators for the smart. Worth a try.....click here

I don't think the mounting would be the issue rather the 2 pin electrical connector.From what I understand one of the pins sends a signal to the dashboard computer to operate the charging light.The other pin goes to the ECU, even though there is a regulator built into the alternator, the ECU seems to control it.So your replacement alternator would not only need similar mounting brackets but similar internal electrical connections as well.Canman

I tried to get my alternator rebuilt in the lower mainland, and wasn't even able to find anyone that would do that with the state it was in. Eventually I bought one from "Auto""Parts""Way"" on line. It was the lowest cost option I could find.

Go to a rebuilder, someone that only does starters/alternators just about every corner of the country has one. I dropped on off and had it rebuilt in 3 days no problem. Nothing unique about it parts were available. Cost was around $200 with taxes. It is the salt/moisture that kills them, eats away at the internals nothing else goes wrong that I understand from them. The location on the engine is a poor choice and all the debris funnels into that area. I would not mess with junk yard alternators unless someone can "see" what the sam is doing. If you send the wrong voltage to the sam it will be costly!Any Bosch autoparts place can also sell you a rebuilt alternator, they are in the catalogue I am sure-if the guys at Napa knew how to look up parts they could sell you one-Altrom lists them and Napa owns Altrom...part number 000 4717 v005 right off their catalogue. I am sure it will be expensive just the way Napa is but they do have a rather complete catalogue these days if you are really stuck-usually overnight service.