Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SkydiverChris

Recommendation For Smart Car (and Any Other Car) Outstanding Service In The Ottawa Area

13 posts in this topic

I purchased my 2006 Grandstyle in September 2013. Almost immediately, I learnt about ClubSmartCar.com, and VERY quickly after that was informed about "Troy". Apparently he was a guy who specialized in Smarts in the Ottawa area. As I spent more time on the forums, I learnt that Troy used to work for Star Motors and now has his own shop and vehicle sales business in south Ottawa (Winchester, On to be exact). Everyone spoke about this guy like he was some sort of prodigy with Smart cars. Well...it's because he is. Well, maybe not a prodigy, but he definitely has an affinity for Smarts and knows a heap about them.

So, when my car started having some issues, who better to connect with than Troy. I fired him a couple of questions by email, we spoke back and forth over the next few days and even weeks and planned to have me stop in at his shop to give my car to do a once over and do some baseline maintenance so I knew when it had last been done since I didn't have complete detailed records.

I showed up at Troy's shop (Akcent Motors) on Saturday Dec 21, 2013 and I immediately felt important because I was his only appointment for the day (except for a Smart that had blown a head gasket which he was working on). Troy went through my car looking for any issues, all while working away at the starting issue I'd been having. All along the way, Troy took the time to show me and explain to me what every part was and what I could do to make future maintenance easier/faster, as well as tips and tricks on doing my own maintenance. He had absolutely no benefit in giving me this knowledge as it took plenty of his time, and will technically reduce the amount of work coming to him since I feel confident in doing most of it myself now. We found out that one of my brakes were ceased and the rotor was toast, so I got 2 new rotors and new brakes, new belts, and a fuel filter. The starting issue seems to be with my alternator, but unfortunately we weren't able to source an alternator on a Saturday in very rural Ottawa, so I've gotta order one. Now that Troy took the time with me, I'm going to attempt to replace the alternator myself over Christmas (as soon as I can get one in).

So, long story short, Troy is a fantastic, friendly guy, does excellent work at very reasonable rates and brings an outstanding knowledge of Smarts. I can't recommend him enough for everything he's done for me and for my Smart. There's a reason why everyone around Ottawa talks about Troy. Trust me...it's where you want to go.

If you need a great mechanic, even if you're not in the general vicinity...it's worth the trip. Unquestionably...

Troy

http://www.akcentmotors.com/

12032 Dawley Drive, Winchester, Ontario K0C 2K0

Bus: (613) 774-0718 Fax: (613) 774-4465

Toll Free: 1-877-774-1412

***A Helpful Note*** - Based on the time I spent in his shop, his phone was ringing off the hook. If it's not an emergency, I highly recommend contacting Troy by email. He responded to all of my emails in less than 24 hours, more often than not within just a couple of hours. This allows him to focus on the work (the fun stuff).

If you have any questions, I'm happy to share anything else I can. I owe this shout out to the time Troy took to help me learn about my car.

Thanks for listening!

Wow! Now there's another happy customer! Being a mechanic by trade, I do most work myself. However, when I first bought my car, I had concerns as to whom I could trust to perform a dot safety inspection, the car being so unconventional. Glenn referred me to Troy and I received similar treatment as you have. On another ocasion, I required his services to retrieve and delete an esp fault code, using his scan tool. Troy does come highly recommended, doesn't he?

I think if you are going to own a smart cdi it is best to have a good independent shop in your area for the more complicated stuff. for me it is andrew lee in Newmarket ON ...

Just an update to the original post, I replaced my alternator by myself. Hoisted the car on 4 axle stands, dropped the motor, installed the new alternator and reassembled the car in less than 2 hours. Had I not been to Troy's shop and had the chance to familiarize myself with the car, I wouldn't have attempted it, and even if I had tried, it would probably have been a 2 day project. Odds are that I almost certainly would have damaged something, or made the issue worse.The alternator was the cause of the issue and I'm back at 100% with my 3 month old (to me) Smart CDi.I've been in touch with Troy after I left his shop and after I put my alternator in. He's still willfully handing over hint and tips.Absolutely great guy!

Anyone has an email address for Troy? I hate using the telephone and I need to make a service appointment.

Oops. I guess I should have completely read the first message in the thread. Sorry.

Edited by Lito

Lito, Did you manage to get Troy's email? Lots of people prefer to call to have the personal direct service, but I much prefer to text/email people so they can answer at their convenience without interrupting other jobs. That's just me though, and I am a young hopper and all engaged in the technical fangly danglies.If not: service@akcentmotors.comHe responded very quickly for me, but if you're having an emergency, I'd call.Good luck!

Thank you SkydiverChris. Yes I did and I should be seeing him next week.FYI... I was born in Argentina and have a very heavy (Spanish) accent. Most people understand me just fine, but I hate using the telephone :)

This thread needs a little update now that Troy has started his own shop. His new info is:Troy Wilson AutomotiveTroy Wilson4349 County Rd #31Williamsburg, ONPhone: (613) 558-4742Not sure if he has a new email address yet for the business, but obviously the Akcent Motors one won't work any more.

That is about 5 more minutes from Otawa than the previous address. Good on him to establish his own shop.

Just found this in another thread. Email and contact info for Troy's new place:

www.troywilsonautomotive.com

service@troywilsonautomotive.com

call or text 613-558-4742

Took everyone's advice and took my 2006 to Troy for new reluctor rings... No axle replacement for me.. Rings were $60!!

Topped up my A/C and installed better thermostat to get better heat.

I'm overjoyed.. work well done, VERY reasonable labour rate... even used one of his loaner cars.

He pointed out a couple of maintenance items that need to be looked after...

I'll definitely be back!

Thanks again for the recommendation !

Neil

I live near St Laurent mall in Ottawa, is there anyone a bit closer then "troy" as he is almost 1 hour away from me. If he is as amazing as everyone one above has stated I'm sure it's worth the drive.

There used to be a place on Canotek apparently, but they closed a few years ago. Troy's shop is a little over an hour from my place, but I head down there every once in a while. Obviously it wouldn't really make sense to drive a 2 hour round trip to get an oil change done or anything, but if you've got some work that needs doing, I would highly recommend him.

I mean, there are the two dealers as well (of which you'd be very close to Ogilvie I guess), but...