Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cadillacman

Egr Removal

30 posts in this topic

For the life of me, after an inordinate amount of time fussing and cursing, I found no reasonable way to remove the cooler from the manifold. The engine was lowered, TIK removed and waste gate out of the way. The stupid allen bolts are corroded. I can reach the visible one with a regular allen key but no way to turn it, even with pliers it didn't budge. I can't even get to the hidden bolt and then get a grip on the key. Heck, I don't even know if I've got the right size key! A 5 seems loose, a 5.5 doesn't fit. So I guess I'm stuck with the cooler and pipe.

It can be brutal. One of mine came out, just barely, as designed, meaning using the key it was designed to use. But the other one... no way. For that 2nd one I used an extractor bit, which can be easier on alan heads since you can sometimes avoid having to pre-drill for the extractor, as the alan head "hole" will accept a properly sized extractor. I don't recall which size extractor I used, but I recall it wasn't the one I originally tried.... I think I pulled my usual set out, but ended up digging out an older set I had with different threads and slightly different size which did the trick nicely. Carefully used a socket on an extension to insert the extractor and do the removal.

Harbor Freight sells extactor bits/kits cheap.

I think I'll leave it until the next time I need to drop the engine. Way more room and better visibility. Meanwhile it's running well. I just cleaned the underside of the engine to track down a black oil leak (hopefully the loose breather hose clamp I tightened) so I'll look for soot traces near the Tafmet parts after a few miles. I saved my old stainless blanking plate for doubling up if I ever get the cooler off manifold end.

For the life of me, after an inordinate amount of time fussing and cursing, I found no reasonable way to remove the cooler from the manifold. The engine was lowered, TIK removed and waste gate out of the way. The stupid allen bolts are corroded. I can reach the visible one with a regular allen key but no way to turn it, even with pliers it didn't budge. I can't even get to the hidden bolt and then get a grip on the key. Heck, I don't even know if I've got the right size key! A 5 seems loose, a 5.5 doesn't fit. So I guess I'm stuck with the cooler and pipe.

The allen bolt is a 5.0

I got both out with an allen socket and the regular ratchet extension

( just came back from the garage from trying it now, to make sure )

for the hidden one the shaft snugs into the notch on the turbo body ( 3rd pic in post #1 )

post-3752-0-68027800-1427049802_thumb.jpg

I never lowered the engine at all, but yes , all the intake piping was removed, and the x-frame too

-edit-

DOH !!! somebody put me out of my mistaken misery, of course it is easy now, the cooling pipe is not in the way, sorry Francesco

Edited by cadillacman

The allen bolt is a 5.0

I got both out with an allen socket and the regular ratchet extension

( just came back from the garage from trying it now, to make sure )

for the hidden one the shaft snugs into the notch on the turbo body ( 3rd pic in post #1 )

attachicon.gif20150322_131625.jpg

I never lowered the engine at all, but yes , all the intake piping was removed, and the x-frame too

-edit-

DOH !!! somebody put me out of my mistaken misery, of course it is easy now, the cooling pipe is not in the way, sorry Francesco

When my cooling sleeve was removed I used the same thing. One of my bolts was already broken so it made removal easier. However, with a bolt broken off in the manifold we had to get creative with the fix. We tapped out 1/2" hole in the manifold and used an NPT plug coated with exhaust goop. Wont worry about a leak again. No plate to leak, no bolts to back out