Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eclectrix

Wheel Balance, Where?

10 posts in this topic

Living in nowhere land is not so easy sometimes. I do not know where to go to get the wheels balanced other than the dealership. The tire shop does not balance here. Suggestions please? Also I need new summer tires. I kept my winter tires on all summer and this is the second winter for them, because I did not find a place to balance the tires.Is it bad to keep snow tires on all year? I often wondered why people had two sets of tires. Why do they? Are snow tires inadequate for summer driving? I know the opposite is true. What kind of tires would be best if I only had one set for the whole year given that there is a lot of snow and ice here in the winter and it gets pretty hot in the summer?

Edited by Eclectrix

Snow tires are OK in summer, they just handle poorly and wear out fast. Seriously, a tire shop can't balance wheels? Scary place!

If they're a tire shop, where you can buy new tires for your car, they must be able to balance them when they install the new ones. If not (which would be weird and a place to stay away from) I would go to the dealership.

That's kind of sketchy that they can mount and not balance. Did you ask if they had the proper equipment?

No problems running winter tires in the summer, They're a softer compound and will wear down quite a bit faster and you'll have some more road noise from that and also having more of an aggressive thread.

I ran into some issues a few years back trying to get new tires mounted here in Collingwood, four of the local bigger branded shops (OK Tire, Master mechanic, import auto and "shutter" wallmart) and their setups could not mount the front tires because it was too small and they didn't have the part that properly adapted to the smaller tire! I said are you kidding me and they (both CT and Wallmart) took me on the floor and showed me that none of their tools fit on the front skinny tires, and the tires just spun around aimlessly. . The guys at Canadian tire admitted that they couldn't change the smaller tires including the trailer tires hence why they only sell trailer tires and rim as a package. So yeah it may have been only Collingwood stores that had the problem but it was a pain and took a couple days and of shops doing trial and error before I could find one that could :suicide_anim:

The tire shop CAN balance the tires, sorry. It is align the wheels that they cannot do. I suppose my only choice is the dealership then for that, but I do not want to buy tires from them. Can I buy new tires from somewhere else and go to the dealership to align the wheels?

The tire shop CAN balance the tires, sorry. It is align the wheels that they cannot do. I suppose my only choice is the dealership then for that, but I do not want to buy tires from them. Can I buy new tires from somewhere else and go to the dealership to align the wheels?

Ah, huge difference :) Yes, I would use the dealership for the alignment just because of the skill involved. You don't know how "skilled" some of the independent places are and they could mess-up your car and leave you in a worse position. Whereas the dealership answers to head office and regional managers and will fix any errors.... eventually ;) As for the tires, of course, buy the tires wherever you get the best deal and then have the dealership align the car. Good luck and post back when it's done...

There is no need to visit a garage or dealer to have your wheel alignment done unless your Tridion frame is bent out of shape. I use TrackAce for measuring toe. Very quick, accurate plus cheap, costs less than one half an hour at the mercy of a dealer.

http://www.trackace.co.uk/