Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Harleyduo

Why Isn't Mercedes Adding More Smart Dealerrhips?

7 posts in this topic

Ok, so my only complaint about my smart dealership during the short time that Roger Penske was in charge was that the dealerships were too limited and too far apart. I was sure I read that when Daimler took over the smart dealerships in America there would be MORE dealerships so smart owners did not have to travel so far to purchase their cars or get them serviced. I have several Mercedez Benz dealerships much closer to me than the 80+ miles I have to travel to my smart dealerships, so why is Daimler still limiting their expansion of smart dealerships, if they really want to keep producing them and claiming them in their product lineup? I have had at least several dozen people express an interest in buying a smart car UNTIL they hear how far away the nearest dealership is. Most working people cannot afford to take time off to get to and from a dealership in the hours their service departments are open when they are that far away. I have had a very positive experience with my smart car and am beginning to think about its replacement but if Daimler does not increase the number of authorized service areas I'm not sure whether I'll buy another, nor will I continue to encourage others to do so. Even if they want to limit how many dealers can sell them you would think they would still have all dealerships service them. I can't imagine other vehicles manufacturers trying to market and support their products as poorly as this one has been marketed and supported by Daimler. Who should we contact to voice our dissatisfaction? It's time they take note. Six model years have gone by since I bought mine and I feel that's plenty of time to take action.

It's probably a matter of Corporate vs Private dealers. Consider that any dealers owned by MB USA (Corporate dealers) would likely be directed by upper management to train up their staff on handling smarts. On the other hand, there might not be as much of an incentive for private dealerships. There would be extra costs in keeping staff trained that the owners may not think is worth the hassle, or the investment.That's my guess at least.

You should send your comments to MBUSA!

Too true! There aren't any corporate dealers in the USA - all privately owned, as smart USA will tell us at the drop of a hat. The dealership owner has to see a business case for the smart or they won't carry the brand. Some M-B dealers here have M-B, Sprinter and smart, some just M-B, etc. With 2013 smart sales below the 10K mark it's difficult to convince most dealership owners....

Ah, that would certainly make it worse for smart then, with no corporate dealers. And of course, it becomes a bit of a catch-22 at that point, with lack of sales and lack of places TO buy.

MBUSA could link MB allocations to carrying smart, if they were serious about the brand.

I've always thought that the smart and the Sprinter van should be lumped together, available to MB dealers as a separate "practical vehicle" line or even stand-alone dealerships. They have more in common with each other than with the rest of the normal MB North American line-up. In most markets outside NA there is the A series, more offerings in the B series and a whole range of commercial/industrial/heavy duty vehicle that aren't here.I know for sure that in France and Spain the smart has it's own dealerships, perhaps some MB dealers may have them? Not positive about that, but there are definitely stand-alone smart centres.