Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

online economy tracking

61 posts in this topic

Since I got my car, I have been entering her fuel consumption data in the online fuel economy tracking system at www.spritmonitor.de. I have also done the same for my Peugeot 405 - 300,000 km of data!

Although this website is in German, it has many cool features, not the least of which is a large smart cdi contingent from Europe, against who we can compete for fuel consumption honours. Yes, I mean YOU, mixed! :lol:

Of course, data can be cut and pasted into Excel, in case you have your own spreadsheet.

Another cool feature at spritmonitor is the dynamic fuel consumption label that you see in my signature, which if you click on it, will shoot you into my car's actual fuel economy records. It also updates in real time, as new tanks are added and average economy gets better (or worse).

A few of us have been using this site for a while. If anyone else would like to join in, I could help with translation, to get you going. Once you have the basics down, you will not think twice about the language barrier.

I would be interested I think in giving it a whirl, how do you check how others are doing and such....???

If anyone else would like to join in, I could help with translation, to get you going. Once you have the basics down, you will not think twice about the language barrier.

I'll take you up on that, Mike.

I've been carting around an envelope full of my fuel receipts for a few months, hoping for a chance to plug the numbers into Excel or something... Just haven't had the time or a good enough excuse to get to it yet.

Perhaps a little spiritmonitor tutorial posted here for us non-German speakers?

I'll run through it this evening, or maybe at lunchtime!

To see the overall records, just go to the homepage. At the bottom of the page in red are all the brands of car registered there. Click on smart and that takes you to all smart fuel consumption records.

Up comes the smart fuel economy records in order of best economy. If you want to restrict the list to the smart fortwo cdi (which are at the top of the list anyway), use the drop down menus on the left:

leave Hersteller (mfr) as smart;

choose "fortwo" as the Modell;

under Kraftstoffart (fuel type) choose Diesel;

under Fahrzeugart (vehicle type), leave it blank or choose PKW (passenger car);

under Mindestkilometer (least number of km to display vehicle for), leave the default at 1500 km;

hit the "Anzeigen" (send) button.

Then only smart fortwos with cdi engines will be displayed.

The tank symbols with "Anzahl" represents the total number of tanks the person has entered. Click on the vehicle description to see the specific records.

I'll get into registration and entering data later.

Thanks for the info Mike, that might be enough to get me started, and then again maybe not, I will need to have two windows open, the tracking website and an online translator ........... I will let you all know

I managed to get my account set up over lunch but I still forsee many obstacles, mostly the languauge issue........... practice practice practice

As you can see I managed to finger it out ............ but I will still read the tutorial for something I may have missed.........

:BlahBlah:

Wow, 3.7 L/100! We've got some catching up to do!

Dan, do you need a tutorial?

I think I figured it out as well. Might as well provide something for you grannies to compare against.

I love that www.spritmonitor.de I currently sit 18th among cdi diesel smart fortwo's for fuel economy worldwide (for those listed) but number 1 for cost per 100kms just edging out our own Mike_ T who currently sits number 2 .......... if we can't beat the Europeans on fuel economy we can surely flatten them based on cost per liter of fuel......

:beerchug:

[*]on the left hand side, click on the red lettering "Jetzt KOSTENLOS Anmelden" (Now Join FREE)

[*]on the "Anmelden" (join) screen, enter your nickname (no spaces) under "Benutzername", email address, language (no choice, has to be "Deutsch"), tick off the box that says "Ich habe die Nutzungsbedienungen gelesen....." (you read and accept the user agreement) and press "Anmelden".

[*]a message then comes up advising that your password will be emailed to your address shortly.

[*]when the PW comes in the mail, go back to the homepage and on the left hand side, type in your username (Benutzername) and password (Passwort)

[*]NEVER hit the "Account l?schen" choice! That means: delete account! Same for the "Fahrzeug l?schen" link at the right hand side, once you have a car registered and data!

[*]to add your smart, hit the "Fahrzug hinzuf?gen" (add car) link

[*]on the next page, leave the "Fahrzeugart" (vehicle type) as "PKW" (passenger car)

[*]choose "smart" from the drop down menu under "Hersteller" (manufacturer)

[*]choose "fortwo" from the dropdown menu

[*]under "exakter Modellname" choose something like "cdi coup? Canada"

[*]choose Diesel for "Kraftstoffart" (fuel type)

[*]choose 2005 for the "Baujahr" (literally, build year)

[*]choose 30 kW for the power

[*]enter 22 L for "Tankvolumen"

[*]leave the "Kennzeichen" field blank (it only works for German license plates)

[*]under "Bemerkung/Sonderausstattung" (notes/options) put down whether you have things that might affect fuel consumption like heated seats, air conditioning

[*]under "Sichtbarkeit" (what others can see of your records), tick all three boxes preferably (allowing others to see fuel costs, costs/100 km and the odometer reading of your vehicle)

[*]"Hinzuf?gen" (enter) the information - don't leave any blanks above the fuel tank size, or you will be prompted to re-enter data in the missing field

[*]the car then is there! Click on "Betankungen" (add a tank) to begin entering fuel economy data

[*]select the date of the refueling; enter the odometer reading (total) in "km-Stand"; when you have more than one odometer reading (i.e. two or more refuelings) the "Teil-km" (partial km, or what we would call "trip odometer") reading is calculated automatically for you to the nearest km

[*]under "Spritmenge" (fuel amount) enter the number of litres used to refill; under "Gesamtkosten" (cost), enter the approximate cost (I convert mine to Euros) - note that costs are optional, and if you have any particular comments regarding that particular tank to add, write them under "Bemerkung"

[*]the default for "Tankart" (type of refill) is full, but you can choose a partial refill, or an "X" for the first fill after delivery, which is what I would recommend

[*]"Reifen" (tires) is self explanatory: summer (sun symbol), winter (snowflake symbol) or all-season (half and half) - noting of course that smarts come with summer tires!

[*]under "Fahrweise" (driving style), green means gentle, yellow means moderate and red means balls-out - select the one that best fits for that tank

[*]under "Strecke(n)" (road(s)), the Autobahn symbol means freeway, the funny shaped stoplight means city and the road means "Landstrasse" or country roads. You can choose, one, two or three

[*]when the data are entered, hit the "Hinzuf?gen" (send) button, and it's done!

[*]to get the dynamic fuel economy label, next to the car's main page, under the "Verbrauchsanzeige" heading, choose one of the available "Grafik" symbols in BBCode - copy and past it into your signature here at clubsmartcar.

YOU'RE DONE!

Edit: correction ? la mixed :bowdown:

"Reifen" (tires) is self explanatory: summer (sun symbol), winter (snowflake symbol) or all-season (half and half) - noting of course that smarts come with summer tires!

OHHH! I thought that was weather condition. Oh well, no big whoop.

I can't find the "grafik"...

I also can't figure out why I am not in the public list? I checked all the boxes...

To get the graphic L/100 km image, go to the home record of your car (which has the car's overall average consumption - you have to be logged in) and choose the BBCode version that you like, then copy it into your signature.

The graphics are on the left hand side on your page under

Verbrauchsanzeige

I have updated the instructions accordingly....I KNEW I had missed something!

great instructions! Using them and a little google translator I got it done! and now the grafic is done (with a little help from IM SMRT)

:bustamove:

Finally my milage is starting to level out a little bit. I am at approximately 4.9L/100km, which is a significant improvement for me. if Mike and Keith are in the 4.0 range and drive with economy in mind, then I am happy to be at 4.9 because I drive like there's no tomorrow and always push the smart.

That number is highway/city mixed with mostly city.

Hi, everybody, I have been in touch with Dominik Fisch from Spritmonitor.de, and he told me that they are in the process of making the site available for english speaking people and he ask me if I would be interested in proofreading some of their new efforts. I told him yes, of course. So, it will be interesting to see what will happen there. Sounds good. I guess it's a popular site and not everybody speaks German. I'll let you know if I find out any more.

That is good news ....... I think.....I am not looking forward to re-inputting all my data though.