Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
strawboss

Extra,extra!

7 posts in this topic

Members 40 & older should remember the news boy's refrain.....Extra.....As some can guess from my signature photo I own a dog. and at night especially in the fall she disappears on tours in the woods, so I have fitted her with a light.The problem is the rechargable lights I get from China are cheap and better quality ones use the expensive button cells that are ok but a $6 light from Mountain Equipment can burn up a lot of cash.So I thought to use a 2 cell AAA battery box using NIMH cells total cost about $15 with a US dime & a CDN penny....*voila*post-6231-1390186685_thumb.jpgsome wire crazy glue & cardboard, helps to file a small groove in each coin to accept the wire.Edited to say all soldered naturally!post-6231-1390186667_thumb.jpgThe semi hard plastic body can be cut with an X-acto knive to let the wires pass.All I need now is a battery box , the pass through for the wires is sealed up with liquid electrical tapepost-6231-1390186648_thumb.jpgNo more button cells! Battery box will be strapped to her collar with Velcro strips.

Edited by strawboss

Here's the pricey collar from China. Now I can see why it had the lifespan of a first-grader's goldfish (the tiny battery) I have some larger cells from my cordless phone packs that may work, or it may use my AAA pendant.post-6231-1390188337_thumb.jpg

Still saving the planet one button cell at a time, here's my obsolete phone with it's nimh battery now charging the new pendant. Weight has increased from 16 grams to 62 but I think it's light enough....post-6231-1390270316_thumb.jpgI should've given the phones to the GoodWill or Sally Ann as I now use a cell phone, glad I didn't now....here's the back.post-6231-1390270327_thumb.jpg(The company I work for has the motto "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle") ;)

Edited by strawboss

I don't even have a mobile phone at all - never had, probably never will!

Yes that was my take on it too until a few years ago when I hit the decade that rhymes with "nifty" and was still spending a lot of solo time in the woods & a family member "casually mentioned" that the new generation of cell phone can transmit a 911 signal even though you may be out of range, "it uses a satellite .....isn't that nifty Uncle Steve?" ;)

Good idea.Hmmm. I have the same Nite Ize light here sitting on the desk. We clip it on our dog when we are camping. Being a Brindle Boxer she is near impossible to see once it starts to get dark. How many hours do you think you got out of a set of batteries? I haven't burned through a set on mine yet.

Edited by WudzRydr

The mono colour ones about 40 hrs or so, but the multi colour one is the real battery hog better now after I cleaned the flux residue off the PCB, prior to cleaning I was lucky to get 15 hrs but now after cleaning I'm up to about 25 hrs and going but I do like the recharge feature,