Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mtiqbal

Abs And Esp Lights

19 posts in this topic

My 2006 smart for two (450) has an issue and I need help.If I drive this above 60km/hr, I get ABS and ESP lights on and they stay on untill I stop and restart the car. While driving below 50km/hr, I do not get ABS and ESP lights on but I can feel some clicking (most likely ABS relay) and I can see small voltage dips on the dashboard light (about 0.2V, I measured that while driving). Battery is new and fully charged. Frequency of voltage dips and clicking has gone up recently. If I go faster, I get ABS and ESP lights on, clicking and voltage dips stops untill I restart the car and drive again.I checked reluctors rings. Both rear rings are fine, there was a lot of rust that I removed with a screw driver and wire brush and sprayed those with rust check. What might be causing ABS and ESP lights to come on and clicking (felt on accelerator and brake padels) that also leads to a small voltage dip?Thanks

Take a real close look at the reluctor rings. A small crack is hard to see , but can trigger the lights.

I had exactly same issue and symptoms on my 2006 Cdi and followed the UK site for correction.

Check brake light switch….easy to get to and remove and replace.

Also checked reluctors and could not find any cracks, cleaned etc……problem continued

Re checked reluctors VERY carefully and found crack between the teeth (bottom of the valley) on the LR.

Ordered 2 new ones and replaced both….problem solved.

The replacement is very easy.

There is a Utube video on how to do it and the only thing they did not mentioned is that you should unbolt the bottom of the shock absorbers and then the axle comes out very easily

without trying to bend the suspension arm to one side. Make sure you support the car by the body and use a jack under the suspension arm when ready to release the shock and side stabilizer rod.

U tube video said 3 mins to get it out ……dead right the 2nd one took me less than that to remove the shaft and about 5mins to bolt everything back together.

Easy job….have fun

I have a related question.Is a smart car with ABS and ESP warning lights on safe to drive below 50km/hr? Brakes and everything else works fine according to my observation. I think there should not be any issue if you are careful and road is dry.Thanks

Edited by mtiqbal

No hill holder with the abs esp light on either, so if you need to start moving on a hill you will need to use your left foot on the brake pedal or the handbrake to stop from rolling into the car behind.

Hi Nelly

Have same exact problem on my 2005 smart for two, where did you order the reluctors? thanks in advance.

I had exactly same issue and symptoms on my 2006 Cdi and followed the UK site for correction.

Check brake light switch….easy to get to and remove and replace.

Also checked reluctors and could not find any cracks, cleaned etc……problem continued

Re checked reluctors VERY carefully and found crack between the teeth (bottom of the valley) on the LR.

Ordered 2 new ones and replaced both….problem solved.

The replacement is very easy.

There is a Utube video on how to do it and the only thing they did not mentioned is that you should unbolt the bottom of the shock absorbers and then the axle comes out very easily

without trying to bend the suspension arm to one side. Make sure you support the car by the body and use a jack under the suspension arm when ready to release the shock and side stabilizer rod.

U tube video said 3 mins to get it out ……dead right the 2nd one took me less than that to remove the shaft and about 5mins to bolt everything back together.

Easy job….have fun

Just so everyone knows I contacted MB Master from Ajax and are insisting that the whole drive shaft should be replaced cause changing the reluctor rings alone will damage the system according to MB Master can anyone confirm any risk of damaging anything? (He was charging $300 for a USED drive shaft and $200 for labor on top)

Replacing the reluctor rings only is a tried and true method. I don't think I've EVER heard of any issues people have had with replacing them alone. I had mine replaced probably 4 years ago now, and have had no problems. Replacing the whole driveshaft is the Mercedes way, replacing the reluctor rings is the logical way.

Just so everyone knows I contacted MB Master from Ajax and are insisting that the whole drive shaft should be replaced cause changing the reluctor rings alone will damage the system according to MB Master can anyone confirm any risk of damaging anything? (He was charging $300 for a USED drive shaft and $200 for labor on top)

Replacing rings alone cannot damage a ABS system, unless the installation is completely messed up and a ring touches a sensor and even then it just means you need a new sensor. I've done 50+ reluctor/tone rings on various makes and models of cars and never once an issue.Is he suggesting $300 + $200 per side? for a used shaft with used rings that will likely fail soon anyway?

I also don't see how replacing the reluctor rings can damage sensors. Likely a case of fear mongering. I replaced my reluctor rings a couple of years ago. It cost me about $20 for two (I bought the least expensive rings from the UK). They have worked flawlessly ever since.

Pretty sure this is whats triggering my ABS/ESP lights to come on. :rolleyes: New reluctor rings are on the way.

[imghttp://s54.photobucket.com/user/buster642/media/IMG_7729.jpg.html]Posted Image[/url][/img]

YIKES!

Right there is a very good reason to powder coat new ones before installing them or to use a rust protection product semi-annually.

Powder coat would make it worse; I would just use a fluid anti-rust compound on them (which I do).

Old one out new one in and the dreaded ABS light is now out :-) Only a week shipping time from the UK and an hour to install it, better paying $3. for the ring and waiting a week rather then going to MB and paying $750. per axle :-)

Posted Image

Posted Image