Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smope

Engine Light's Random Apprearance In Yellow!

13 posts in this topic

Hi there, My 2013 smart Passion has been a wonderful trouble free experience, with a small exception. For the second time now, the engine symbol has appeared in yellow. The car still runs as it always has, no issues at all. A trip to the dealer (which is quite a jaunt) got it reset and I was basically told, oh well, it happens. Anyone else ever had or have this issue? Thanks! Sue :D

If the engine code is just popping up "for no reason", you have some sort of problem and it should be fixed.I would want to know what the exact engine code was. If it happens again, an independent mechanic or anyone with a generic scan tool would be able to tell you what the engine code is.

Edited by Huronlad

seems to happen to me several times a year, usually in the winter. No solution found. Most recently, a few days after getting my body panels changed over, the engine warning light went on permanently. According to the smart service centre this was due to the gasket on the gas cap having to be replaced. Total cost, parts and labour, $85 plus tax.Don't know if the random check engine lights going on the last few years and the gas cap gasket were related.

Have had this happen twice this winter, with the temps in low double digits or single digit (F); car starts running rough, CEL comes on. In both cases pulling off the road and stopping the car for a few minutes cleared it. Car runs fine when started again and the CEL stays off. Getting close to the 30K mile service so that may help. :)The gas cap gasket can certainly cause a CEL. My first trip to Canada for the Mystery Run the car got a CEL after arriving in London; local auto parts store checked the code - turned out the gas cap gasket wasn't properly seated - my fault. No charge for the code reading - Canadian hospitality!

Had it happen to me a couple of times as well. Dealer reset the CEL as the fault codes were for misfires due to "short trips when cold".............no fault found nor correction available apparently.

I've had the seal on my fuel cap not seat properly on one occasion. Pushed the seal back down where it belongs, cleared the code with my Ultra Gauge and was good to go. The SGII or and UG is much cheaper than having to make a trip to a dealer, not to mention a better source of information.If a car is throwing engine codes for an engine misfire, something is not right, be it spark plugs or ignition modules, wiring...

Thanks everyone! It has gone away on it's own, and my smart centre said don't worry about it. Could be the extreme cold. i guess I will just have to wait and see.

"Check engine" came on last night; no apparent difference in how the car runs. Placed the order online for a Scangauge II just now ... I've been thinking of getting one for some time and this tipped the balance.

Scangauge arrived. P0410. Will order a new secondary air injection valve tomorrow.

the little blue code reader is really cheap and works with your phone, theres hard faults and soft faults. most often soft fault is probably misfire, go to platinum plugs. i had the head drilled out to fit m14 thread plugs.