Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brd

Air Bag Warning Light - Wiring Harness Repair

3 posts in this topic

For the past few months the air bag warning light in my 2009 cabrio has been on. Took it in to the dealer last week, they ran diagnostics, got fault code B1043, checked TIPS and concluded that the wiring to the belt tensioner to control unit had to be repaired. The dealer ordered in and replaced a wiring harness, cable connector and clip. This was going to cost a few hundred dollars to perform until I pointed out that I had purchased an extended warranty, which covered this.

On my receipt it states that the service department checked and there are "no outstanding recalls or service actions" for this fault. Curious as I recall that for my 2005 Pulse there was a service action for something similar [i think it was the wiring harness getting damaged in time by the seat getting adjusted and wearing out the wiring harness insulation]. Thanks to CSC I was aware of this service action and requested that the dealer perform it, along with several other service actions [why the dealer never bothered to check that there were various service actions outstanding on my car are beyond me].

Anyway I mention all of the above just in case there are a number of others who have had the same issue. If so, you have to wonder why this isn't covered by a recall or service action.

Can't speak for smart Canada but smart USA is reluctant to handle anything via recall or service bulletins. One recall so far on the 451 - 43 cars with bad panoramic roof bonding (not counting the one to replace some emission stickers on the car.) We can check the NHTSA site for info but there's not much there. :)

I know this is a little late but you might find my Air bag warning light informative if you didn't see it. Go down the list to Dec 11 2012.