Mystery Run 2014 - Celebrate The 10th Anniversary Of Smart In Canada

142 posts in this topic

Mystery Run 2014

and

Celebration of the 10th Anniversary of smart in Canada

August 2nd and 3rd, 2014

Trenton, Ontario

What is the Mystery Run?

The Mystery Run is a follow-the-leader smart rally. The catch? You only know the start and end locations! Along the way, we'll make make several stops at different locations you may or may not have known were in the area. This is the 6th year of the Mystery Run.

10th Anniversary of Smart

That's right! The first ship-load of smarts arrived in Halifax on August 6th, 2004, and the first customer delivery was September 23rd, 2004. That means 2014 is the tenth anniversary of smart in Canada! Mercedes-Benz Canada will be contributing stuff to the event, so stay tuned for more details on that.

Event Schedule

There are no plans for Friday evening, so you can arrive as late as you want, to be there ready for Saturday morning. The main event (as we've had in previous years), dinner, and prizes will be on Saturday. There will then be a short run with one or two stops Sunday morning, and then the plan is to end the event sometime in the early afternoon on Sunday. This should give most participants the ability to get home on Sunday as well.

In terms of starting locations/times:

Saturday:

Tim Hortons at 11 Monogram Place, Trenton. We will be trying to get on the road by 10, so please arrive a little before that.

Sunday:

Walmart Parking Lot at 471 2nd Dughill Road, Trenton. We'll try to be on the road by 9 on Sunday, so again, arrive before that.

Lodging Options

Trenton Comfort Inn

Ramada Trenton

Canada's Best Value Inn

Trenton Travelodge

Trip Advisor also lists 3 other places that don't have their own booking systems:

-Bayside Motel

-Trenton Park Motel

-Guest Inn

Prices seem to vary by the minute, and will probably only go up since it will be a holiday weekend.

Hotels could fill up quickly at any moment, as the area is a hot tourist destination. Make your reservations early!

Costs

Saturday will have an optional $5 per head charge for a tour and sample at one of our stops. Lunch and dinner costs are your own responsibility.

Sunday will be $20 a head, which includes lunch, a sample, and a tour.

Shirts

Tardis will be making shirts for the Mystery Run again this year! Shirts will be similar to the ones from 2012 (Shown below), but will have a new colour scheme to go along with the event. The price for each shirt will be going up to $17 a piece, as we will be getting better quality shirts than last time. Shirts must be ordered in advance, with a cut-off date of July 20th, 2014 (So that there is time to embroider them!). Please send a message to Tardis or me if you would like to get a shirt! Here's a picture of what the old shirt looked like:

post-4936-1399478721_thumb.jpg

Saturday Dinner

Still in progress, as apparently their email isn't working properly (See my post from a while back about sending emails, but not getting a reply). I am waiting for a confirmation callback from "The Barley Room" in Picton, Ontario. See here for the description, and here for the menu. We'll likely have a slightly reduced menu to keep things moving in the kitchen, but that should give you an idea.

Will be followed by the distribution of door prizes, and a raffle

The Raffle

The city’s always on the move, which is why the smart electric bike was designed to make getting around urban areas easier than ever before. The smart electric bike combines clever functions with advanced technology and outstanding design, making your journey more enjoyable and easier. Electric motor assistance helps you as you pedal, providing you with the energy you need to reach your destination.

You can win the smart electric bike at this year’s Mystery Run! Generously donated by smart Canada, the smart electric bike will be raffled to one lucky winner and all proceeds generated will be donated to Sandy Pines Wildlife Centre to help rehabilitate injured and orphaned wildlife. For more information about Sandy Pines, please visit www.SandyPinesWildlife.org

post-4936-1399652914_thumb.png

Sunday Lunch

Lunch on Sunday is being catered by the Mission Street North food truck. They serve Mexican food, and have vegetarian options on the menu. The cost of lunch is included below. The lunch location, however, will not be disclosed ;)

Previous Runs

Still not sure? Have a look through the archives of past Mystery Runs:

First

Second

Third

Fourth

Fifth

To maintain a unified sign-up list, I'll be taking sign-ups by email. Please send an email to MysteryRun2014@gmail.com with the following information:

Your Name

Your CsC or SCoA username (If applicable)

Passenger name, if applicable (Or just +1 if you prefer).

Number of people attending Saturday Dinner

Number of people attending Sunday Lunch

Comments, Questions, Concerns?

Ask it in the comments below, or if it needs to be private for some reason, feel free to send me an email at MysteryRun2014@gmail.com, or send me a PM. If you are signing up, include the information requested above.

Cross link to SCoA

NOW THAT IT'S OVER

Pictures and stuff start HERE!

4 signed up now, still 2 tentative.There's lots of good stuff coming from MB Canada for this event. Sign up early and book your rooms! I realize this is still pretty far away, so if you aren't sure you'll be coming, feel free to send along a "tentative" sign-up. It'll help with coordination and planning.

I finally registered for this event! Thanks Max for doing a great job of organizing this event. It is very likely to be a joyfull and successfull event!

Will be making a trip to TO again this summer! Count me as a tentative if I could show up in my TDI? Too much stuff to carry this time to take my smart coupe :(

Shouldn't be a problem! Fire me an email as in the first post, for my records.7 Confirmed, 3 Tentative (Including stickman007). Not too bad for an event that's still 6 months away.

I know I don't have anything else on that weekend on the "official schedule" but it's hard to say for sure this far in advance. It's on the wish list for now.

We've got 10 confirmed, 4 tentative now. CANMAN wanted to also give a heads up that if anybody wants to camp rather than use a hotel/motel, he has a trailer near Campbellford where people can set up camp, as well as Sandbanks Provincial Park, or Presquille Park.Confirmed:------------------1) FlossyTheSmart2) Dan Snell +1 (From MB Canada)3) jwight4) ishkabibble5) Cadillacman (Sunday)6) A smart from TekSavvy (Via MB Canada contacts)7) Huronlad + 18) Turbomar (and a tentative +1)9) TO Ed + 110) CANMAN +1Tentative:----------------1) josh9120 (Saturday)2) adele2cats3) stickman0074) GoFaster

Confirmed:------------------1) FlossyTheSmart2) Dan Snell +1 (From MB Canada)3) jwight4) ishkabibble5) Cadillacman (Sunday)6) A smart from TekSavvy (Via MB Canada contacts)7) Huronlad + 18) Turbomar (and a tentative +1)9) TO Ed + 110) CANMAN +1Tentative:----------------1) josh9120 (Saturday)2) adele2cats3) stickman0074) GoFaster 5) Leadwing

Confirmed:------------------1) FlossyTheSmart2) Dan Snell +1 (From MB Canada)3) jwight4) ishkabibble5) Cadillacman (Sunday)6) A smart from TekSavvy (Via MB Canada contacts)7) Huronlad + 18) Turbomar (and a tentative +1)9) TO Ed + 110) CANMAN +111) dmoonen12) Wild!Tentative:----------------1) josh9120 (Saturday)2) adele2cats3) stickman0074) GoFaster5) Leadwing

Confirmed:------------------1) FlossyTheSmart2) Dan Snell +1 (From MB Canada)3) jwight4) ishkabibble5) Cadillacman (Sunday)6) A smart from TekSavvy (Via MB Canada contacts)7) Huronlad + 18) Turbomar (and a tentative +1)9) TO Ed + 110) CANMAN +111) dmoonen12) Wild!13) twobytwo (Probably +1)Tentative:----------------1) josh9120 (Saturday)2) adele2cats3) stickman0074) GoFaster5) Leadwing

Last year (According to my map of the route) was 113.2 Km from the start point to the dinner point, and I would expect this year would probably be a similar distance (Although I don't yet have any route planned). It might be a little much for an ED :( I can see about finding plug-ins at any stops we make though? May or may not be possible though.

Made reservations today; cheaped out and am staying at the Bayside Motel near the air base. Have to check the timing as I don't want to be in Toronto at rush hour. Any advice for getting through there as painlessly as possible? :)

Through Toronto? Since you have US plates, you could go through on highway 407 (automated toll road) and most likely the tolling company will not be able to find you! Presumably you are crossing in Buffalo/Niagara. From QEW there is a big junction north of Hamilton when it joins highway 403 and you can just go straight on to the 407 eastbound, keep going on that to highway 48 (Markham Road), take that south to 401 and keep going. The east section of the 407 has not been completed and the 404 isn't far enough east to be beyond the congestion (strictly speaking, neither is 48) so doing this means you are stuck with using a short section of surface streets (although 48 is a major one).But if you are aiming to be in Trenton for (say) dinner time, you will likely be going through Toronto mid-afternoon before rush hour, and then it should not be a problem. Follow QEW Toronto, stay on QEW through the above-mentioned junction, when the QEW and 403 split then take the 403, follow that to 401 east, then just stay on 401 clear through. As long as you can clear Hwy 404 on the east side of Toronto before about 4 pm, you should be golden. Honestly, I live here, and I never use the 407 ... it's too expensive.If you miss the 403 split, just carry on, and take the next major junction at 427 and use that to get to 401 east. No problem.If you really want to see downtown Toronto and it's before 3pm-ish, keep going past that junction onto the Gardiner Expressway and it goes right through downtown with office tower windows scant metres from the elevated roadway, right past the Rogers Centre (a.k.a. the Skydome), not far at all from the base of the CN Tower. Past downtown, follow the Don Valley Parkway north to the 401. The Don Valley Parkway is colloquially known as the Don Valley Parking Lot. Don't say you weren't warned! If you miss the DVP junction then the Gardiner ends and dumps you onto Lakeshore and at that point ... Good ... luck!

According to Wikipedia:

...Ontario, Quebec, and the states of Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, New York, Maryland, Maine, Georgia, Florida, New Jersey, Delaware, and possibly several adjacent states and provinces provide 407 ETR access to their registry databases...

So I wouldn't just hop on the 407 unless you want to get a bill in the mail! That is one way to avoid traffic though. The Toll Calculator says it would be $26 CAD if you were to use the 407 the whole way from Burlington to the end near Pickering.

The cheap way though would definitely be to plan to cross Toronto at off-peak hours. No expert, but I would think aiming to be in Toronto around 2 would be pretty good, and next safe time would probably be 7. It looks like it will take about 6.5 hours for you to hit Toronto from Dayton, so if you leave between 7:30-8:00, or around noon, you'd probably be fine. Of course, this is assuming you are primarily attempting to dodge traffic.

I'm definitely no expert though, I don't cross Toronto THAT frequently, so other people may have a better notion of "safe" times to cross the city.

It's one thing for them to send the bill in the mail, it's quite another for them to have a recourse if you don't pay it :P (You won't be able to renew your Ontario driver's license when it comes up for renewal ... Oh snap!)Seriously, if you are out the other side of Toronto before about 4 pm (which would put you in Trenton around 5:30) or don't enter the Toronto area until after about 7 pm (in Trenton for around 9:30 pm) the traffic on the main roads won't be *that* bad, at least by Toronto standards, so no need to bother with the 407. From the Niagara region, the 407 is a longer route and there's a minor hassle at the east end of it.Also, from Dayton, you could go either way around Lake Erie. Windsor to roughly London is boooooring. But according to Google Maps, the south way and in through Niagara is about 55 minutes longer. The tradeoff ... not having to go through Toledo, Detroit, and Windsor.

Yep, crossing at Windsor (and hoping the bridge isn't backed up....) so it looks like the 401 all the way to Trenton. Will try to hit Toronto before 2 p.m. Thanks for the info. :)

We drove the 407 ETR several times in the summer of 2004 in our Mercedes C 230 K (BC plates) and we never got billed the $100 that a local would have been! LOL

Yep, crossing at Windsor (and hoping the bridge isn't backed up....) so it looks like the 401 all the way to Trenton. Will try to hit Toronto before 2 p.m. Thanks for the info. :)

Instead of crossing at Windsor, I go north to Port Huron - Sarnia. Usually a much easier crossing.

Holiday weekend - not good; guess who'll be making an early start...Normally I'd cross on the ferry at Marine City but just want to get onto the 401 as soon as possible for this trip. Traffic reports will determine the actual route I'm sure. :)

As a retired (2 years now) truck driver who battled the Toronto traffic on a regular basis, I can tell you that anytime during the daylight hours, it will be busy. Also, because it is a holiday weekend, the rush hour will most likely begin earlier than the usual 3pm.

Traffic reports (along with news, weather and sports) are available on the radio (AM680). This radio station rotates the news, weather, sports and traffic reports every 15 minutes. There is no music.

If you like the oldies, AM740 gives traffic reports every 15 minutes during rush hours and at the top of the hour during other times. (this is the station I used to listen to when driving professionally) They also stream live online at AM740 so you could actually check traffic while listening to your own choice of music. They also have online traffic here.

Hope this helps.

Ron