Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dalplex

Not Cheap To Fill

35 posts in this topic

Yesterday, went to check one 450. Filled up the 2nd tank.End up 30 L for 44 with 140 for #91.Honestly, not cheap to operate.

Cheap compared to what exactly ?91 octane out here is 1.08 "after" applying a 7 cent per litre discount when paying with the PC Financial MasterCard @ a Superstore station. When gas is not being sold on a long weekend it is also 10 cents less.I filled up yesterday when it was pretty much total empty, and it was $35 total for two weeks of driving.My Cayenne Turbo used to cost me $150 a week :o :o so, I return to my opening line, compared to what exactly ?

Edited by Kds

Is is just me, or are most of the OP's messages cryptic, bordering on the unintelligible?

I had difficulties with this one as well. Perhaps with miles driven on the tank one can work something out?

I did not use cheaper and not intended to compare.

In that case what was your point?

FWIW, I do find my 451 expensive to operate considering engine and vehicle size (insert Lito has a heavy foot joke here [but trust me; it isn't the case]). That said, I think that not all 451 are the same based on what I've read on fully (see my link in the signature).In any case, the worse of winter (where I have found consumption goes way up for me) will soon be over, and I'll get out the bike for all short trips :) Much less expensive and good for me and the environment. Win-win-win!

6.7 is pretty bad for a smart 451 - 0.7 worse than our Fiesta and only 0.6 better than our Mercedes B200.

I know. And that is THE AVERAGE! The engine seems to need forever to warm up. About 15 to 20 KM of city driving on the -20 ºC days. During that time, the fuel economy is horrendous, and it doesn't improve all that much after that.I use Petro Canada 94. Maybe I should switch to 91 to see if it makes a difference?

94 is a waste of money for that engine! The higher the octane, the harder it is to ignite the fuel....use 91 for sure.

My point is it cost too much and I am either looking for 450 with 30 to fill or hybrid.

The 451 is cheaper to maintain and insure, do not expect any savings to be had switching to a 450.

A 125cc scooter would be cheap on fuel, maybe add that to your list.

Wrong!! I did 3,5L/100km with my 50cc Honda ruckus scooter. I realy doubt that it could be possible to do the same or better with a 125cc. :rolleyes: And as I can drive my cdi with an average fuel consomption of 3,8L... A 125cc scooter is not the solution for our friend. Sorry.

The 300cc Kawasaki Ninja returns similar FE to a cdi in the real world(fuelly.com). I would expect better results from 1/3 the displacement.

Hitchhiking is another possibility. Let someone else worry about all those annoying car related expenses.

1 person likes this

My point is it cost too much and I am either looking for 450 with 30 to fill or hybrid.

I do see how you find some of the comments insulting. But also realize that cost to fill a tank is absolutely meaningless. People ask me this question all the time and are surprised saying, "That's it, my Jeep costs me almost $100 to fill". Well, of course it does, the tank is 80L and mine is 22L. How much does a dual tank F150 cost to fill? It's right up there with "How far can you go on a tank of gas?". I say, "About 400 KM". The response, "That's it? My Jetta can go 1000 KM". But who has the bigger tank? Apples meet oranges. BTW, I am now driving a Jeep Wrangler 4L... and will no longer be listening to any whining about fuel consumption from anyone getting < 10 L/100KM. Try closer to 15 L/100KM in the city. But it is fun!Kerry

6.7 on a 451 is 'typical' for the 451, but not great for an econo box, especially when you factor in a 10 to 15% price premium... it's very well a 7.3 or 7.5 in 87 octane price......The 451 is great in the city compared to some cars, and only really average or not even as good compared to others, like most hybrids. This is well documented in our enviro-mileage forum, where this topic belongs, and is now headed.....

Try to find one of 18,000 examples of the all-aluminum 2000-2006 Honda Insight with a good battery, make sure it's running on Bridgestone Potenza RE 92 tires, keep tire pressure up to your maximum/safe compromised level, catch up on ALL maintenance, ensure all underbody shields are in place, keep speed under the legal limit and enjoy the benefits of 3 l/100km consumption. Visit insightcentral.net or 99mpg.com for more info."Oh, and it's real cheap to fill it up too!" ;)

Edited by Pete