Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pingu

2014 Fuel Consumption Guide - Canada

13 posts in this topic

This link

is to the 2014 Fuel Consumption Guide for Canada. It includes estimated values for fuel consumption based on the recently announced revised method of calculation, which should be much closer to real world fuel consumption. I haven't seen the details but it is probably the same system that was adopted in the US a few years ago.

I was just going to check the FE on a vehicle and found the site had changed. Now it is this link.

Edited by Pingu

Interesting that they also include the old, 2-cycle test results as well as the new, 5-cycle results.

The data presented for the new procedure is "estimated". The new procedure goes into effect for the 2015 models. At least that is what I read on the internet. The estimated data in the Guide matches with the US numbers for the couple of vehicles that I checked.

Almost to the millilitre. The smart ED gets a 68 mile range now, exactly as the EPA rates it. That's down from over 80 miles under the NRCan two-cycle test.

Shame the E 250 BlueTec isn't in there, it gets spectacular FE even under EPA rules.

E250 is on page 11. The guide has cars separated by compact, mid-size, and full-size. E250 apparently is mid-size.

Neat, if a bit difficult to follow the format. Prius still comes out on top (or bottom), with the new testing guidelines. Some of the Diesels are actually getting pretty close! Of course if the 450 were still in production... we know who would be the winner, for sure.Always a bit disappointed with the Volt's ICE-only FE performance - but I'd happily take the hit for the option of silent EV running for the majority of trips.-Iain

Yeah, the auto journalists will always go out of their way to try and make it look bad, or justify their own preferences with the "see, I can get great mileage, too!" argument. These challenges are always worth a laugh. Someone I know who commutes 200 km a day just went out and bought a giant Jeep (!?) and tries to sell me on it with "it's pretty good on gas, though!". Yeah... no. You like the Jeep - that's fine - but accept it and stop trying to justify it.-Iain

Guilty, and I drive to work then work I drive to other locations. Min 200km/day for me

I'm not too disappointed with our Volt in gas only mode. Now with warmer weather, we use only tenths of a litre per week, if any. And, with the final drive being electric anyway, you hardly notice the gas engine - so it is smooth and turbine-like all the way. We now have about 35,000 kms on the car - our lifetime gas consumption is 4.3 l/100 kms, according to the car. Everything we liked about our hybrid extends to the whole time we are driving.