Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falcon_1898

Reverse Lights Not Working

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,A couple of months ago, we had the gear shifter stuck in P, and had the car towed to the dealership where it was repaired under warranty. Turns out it was the brake sensor switch that was acting up.Recently, I've noticed that the reverse lights aren't working. After speaking with MB Markham, I drove the car there for them to take a look. Well, it's like visiting the doctor's...when the car was there, the lights worked perfectly. MB told me that they were going to spend unknown amount of time to hunt down an intermittent issue, and doing so could get expensive.I suspect a faulty connection somewhere. Could this have been in conjunction with the brake switch? I ran a search on this and didn't find anything on the forums. Has anyone else encountered similar experience before? What are your recommendations?Thanks,James

Take video of the event if it happens again. Does the dash gear indicator show R when the lights are not coming on? Just wondering if it is a shifter/software issue.

I'm sorry you had this issue but I'm glad you posted.I may have had the same issue a while back. The car wouldn't come out of park and the ABS hazard light was on.Luckily I looked up this forum and found out how to release the shifter with a screw driver.I left the car in neutral and had to leave the key in the ignition, with a 'Club on the wheel.After a couple of days the fault went away, the shifter worked and it hasn't happened since.I didn't notice if my reverse lights weren't working.If it does happen again I'll know what to tell Pug City so they can find it-----maybe ;) I hope you can solve your issue and thank you for posting.Rick

Hi All,A couple of months ago, we had the gear shifter stuck in P, and had the car towed to the dealership where it was repaired under warranty. Turns out it was the brake sensor switch that was acting up.Recently, I've noticed that the reverse lights aren't working. After speaking with MB Markham, I drove the car there for them to take a look. Well, it's like visiting the doctor's...when the car was there, the lights worked perfectly. MB told me that they were going to spend unknown amount of time to hunt down an intermittent issue, and doing so could get expensive.I suspect a faulty connection somewhere. Could this have been in conjunction with the brake switch? I ran a search on this and didn't find anything on the forums. Has anyone else encountered similar experience before? What are your recommendations?Thanks,James

I always thought these cars only have one reverse light but of course, overseas models may be different.There is no reverse light switch mounted in transmission shift mechanism which was how reverse light was turned on in the olden days. On the Smart, reverse light is turned on as soon as gear shift is moved into reverse position. Whether transmission actually goes into reverse does not affect reverse light operation.The first I thing I would check is reverse light bulb and its contacts. A light smear of battery pole grease or Vaseline will ensure contacts are less prone to corrosion.

Thanks all for the fast replies. @ Huronlad: that's sound advise. I'll take a video tomorrow, and hopefully be able to convince the dealership to take a look at it. The dash indicates "R" when the shifter is in reverse, but the lights don't come on. This is intermittent, although 99% they don't come on any more.@Ruadh: we got the faulty switch replaced... I suspect that there was some moisture that froze the switch. The stuck shifter happened twice, each time being when the car parked outside and the temperature fell below -20C. In warmer weather, it worked fine. When I brought this to MB's attention, their response was, of course, "no no, it can't be. Our cars are designed for Canadian winters." Luckily the car was stuck in the driveway. Had it been stuck outside, I think I'd miss more than just work...@ tolsen: the cars in Canada have 2 reverse lights (no rear fog light). The bulbs are both fine - I checked already. If it's a contact issue, it must be further upstream. Or it could be a control module/relay/software issue???By the way, do smart cars have any diagnostic tools that can scan control modules (like VCDS for VWs)? Would this be caught as an error in some control module?

Edited by falcon_1898

Issues like this don't lend them self for easy checking through diagnostics. Just read the thread on how to enable remaining fuel count down on a 450 Smart and you may appreciate the difficulties.A wiring diagram ought to simplify matters, as least you can then verify whether you have a cable problem. Perhaps someone in possession of the right tools may assist.

Some tasks can be difficult in STAR diagnostics, but code reading is surprisingly simple to do. There could be a stored code, although no guarantees. I'll be in Toronto on Saturday and could do a full code reading through STAR for you, if you don't have it resolved by then.